The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine, though the melanurus and dusky may be aggressive toward him. Utilize a social acclimation box to introduce.

Standard behavior and care for other tuskfish. Semi aggressive as they get bigger, generally hardy, will be predatory toward small fish and inverts.

Give him time. It's a new fish behaving nervously.

Unavailable to the hobby. Only a handful of photos exist. They are in the lanceolatus complex, so should behave comparably.
Thx eatbreakfast!

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my LFS has one, if not, it is strikingly similar. Not sure if this is a female.

17A47B63-8E77-4B0C-99C6-7E893A17878A.jpeg

04F78157-E365-4442-92E0-6E9B8241E37D.jpeg
Looks like a juvenile female c. shutmani :) Mine came in looking exactly like that and she's progressing into a very beautiful Magma :D

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a juvenile female c. shutmani :) Mine came in looking exactly like that and she's progressing into a very beautiful Magma :D

Well 99$ for a magma with a 20% coupon may not be a bad deal.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the Wrasse experts @evolved and @eatbreakfast.

My LFS received 3 Choats Leopard Wrasses today and I’ve been reading that these wrasses are very difficult to QT. I’ve managed to QT two female Potters Leopard Wrasses recently. Copper was cake for them but I had the hardest time getting them through General Cure (prazi).

How much more difficult are they to QT and is there any way to distinguish the males from the females.

FYI they would be going into a 90 gallon tank with a small yellow coris Wrasse and two potters wrasses. I also plan on getting a female blue star Leopard.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the Wrasse experts @evolved and @eatbreakfast.

My LFS received 3 Choats Leopard Wrasses today and I’ve been reading that these wrasses are very difficult to QT. I’ve managed to QT two female Potters Leopard Wrasses recently. Copper was cake for them but I had the hardest time getting them through General Cure (prazi).

How much more difficult are they to QT and is there any way to distinguish the males from the females.

FYI they would be going into a 90 gallon tank with a small yellow coris Wrasse and two potters wrasses. I also plan on getting a female blue star Leopard.
Choati are a little more challenging than potters to qt.

The orange spots begin to connect to form thin lines on males.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all,

I've had my (2 but to rehome one) rosy scale wrasse for almost 2 weeks.

They are still hiding in the corners of the QT (or against the pipe I have in there) . Presently being treated for internal parasites. One would swim around briefly then go back to hiding. he would eat too. I believe this one is transitioning to male.
The other one, larger male, has barely moved from his spot. I haven't seen him eat.

Both look healthy physically otherwise. They don't pay any attention to each other, sometimes I'd find them hiding in the same corner together.
I've been feeding both frozen and live black worms and live brine shrimp. The smaller one likes the live worms. I'm not sure if the larger one picks at them when I am not around, he doesn't look skinny.

I know they're scared from being moved from their homes and travel across the world.. what's the average time for them to get comfortable?
The lights are low, it's not bright in the tank at all. it's mostly room light from the window.

What else can I do for them to make them more comfortable? I want to get them comfortable before I rehome one of them.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all,

I've had my (2 but to rehome one) rosy scale wrasse for almost 2 weeks.

They are still hiding in the corners of the QT (or against the pipe I have in there) . Presently being treated for internal parasites. One would swim around briefly then go back to hiding. he would eat too. I believe this one is transitioning to male.
The other one, larger male, has barely moved from his spot. I haven't seen him eat.

Both look healthy physically otherwise. They don't pay any attention to each other, sometimes I'd find them hiding in the same corner together.
I've been feeding both frozen and live black worms and live brine shrimp. The smaller one likes the live worms. I'm not sure if the larger one picks at them when I am not around, he doesn't look skinny.

I know they're scared from being moved from their homes and travel across the world.. what's the average time for them to get comfortable?
The lights are low, it's not bright in the tank at all. it's mostly room light from the window.

What else can I do for them to make them more comfortable? I want to get them comfortable before I rehome one of them.
Provide more cover and hiding spaces and add more flow to the top 1/3 or 1/2 of the tank.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that it's not unusual for wrasses to be pretty skittish while in qt but it does seem to vary. My crescent tail only really started to explore the tank after about 3.5 weeks and even then he would dart back into the pipes after any movement outside the tank. But within 2 days of being in the display he was out and about.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that it's not unusual for wrasses to be pretty skittish while in qt but it does seem to vary. My crescent tail only really started to explore the tank after about 3.5 weeks and even then he would dart back into the pipes after any movement outside the tank. But within 2 days of being in the display he was out and about.

thanks for sharing your experience! All the other wrasses I have were all confident and out and about within few days. These two had me stumped, lol

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think having other fish in tank can help get them more comfortable out and about.

I wondered that.. wondered if I put one of them in the DT it'll be OK after a few days.

I may be getting a pair of clowns for my nano tank in a few days. Debating on having them share a QT too.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've used black water mollies as they also can serve as an indicator of any disease that may have made it through QT and they won't extend the QT period.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back