The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where are you guys getting advance information on what will be on Diver's Den? I spend way too much constantly checking.

Anyway- 2 questions-

1) I finally got a rhomboid (LA says it is medium, but seems pretty small to me) and it is in my quarantine now. It is day 4- a bit skittish still (have kept the tank pretty dim, but is eating and is otherwise looking healthy). I was going to start Prazi over the weekend. Any concerns?

2) The same exact day, my pintail in my DT decided to go into my corner overflow- in the past i have had a number of fish do this (midas blenny, radial filefish! (didn't know they could jump at all) and a bathy wrasse- they all eventually within a couple of days jumped back into the DT). The screen covers both the overflow and the dt, but anyone have good ideas on how to get this guy to jump back into the display? I know some people just "flush" the overflow by pulling to plumbing, but i am wary of putting the fish through my plumbing.

Thanks
You can subscribe to get DD preview emails. They are sent out at 1:30pm EST.

As long as the rhomboid is eating dosing Prazi is fine.

Not really any technique to get a wrasse to jump back from the overflow. I just pull the drain pipe.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
where are you guys getting advance information on what will be on Diver's Den? I spend way too much constantly checking.

Anyway- 2 questions-

1) I finally got a rhomboid (LA says it is medium, but seems pretty small to me) and it is in my quarantine now. It is day 4- a bit skittish still (have kept the tank pretty dim, but is eating and is otherwise looking healthy). I was going to start Prazi over the weekend. Any concerns?

2) The same exact day, my pintail in my DT decided to go into my corner overflow- in the past i have had a number of fish do this (midas blenny, radial filefish! (didn't know they could jump at all) and a bathy wrasse- they all eventually within a couple of days jumped back into the DT). The screen covers both the overflow and the dt, but anyone have good ideas on how to get this guy to jump back into the display? I know some people just "flush" the overflow by pulling to plumbing, but i am wary of putting the fish through my plumbing.

Thanks
Just sign up for their daily sneak peaks through the LiveAquaria/Divers Den website.

I am sure @eatbreakfast will chime in on your questions but dont know if you need to even start Prazi at this point. Just observe and if it is eating fine just keep on doing what you are doing.

Can you just drain the overflow with siphon without affecting the DT? Then reach in with your hand and grab him. heck I bet if you stick you hand in the overflow he may just jump out.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and one more question- all this talk of flashers has gotten me curious. Is there any issues of compatability of flashers with fairies? (i know people mix them, but is there a guide or rules about which ones do better with each other?)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly recommend prazi for all wrasses.
Oh and one more question- all this talk of flashers has gotten me curious. Is there any issues of compatability of flashers with fairies? (i know people mix them, but is there a guide or rules about which ones do better with each other?)
As long as it's not one of the aggressive fairy wrasse species fairy and flasher wrasses mix well.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so splendid, rhomboid and a bathy would likely do fine with flashers (and i am assume flashers mix well with each other?)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so splendid, rhomboid and a bathy would likely do fine with flashers (and i am assume flashers mix well with each other?)
Those fairies would be fine with flashers.

Flavianalis, carpenter, and mckskers are similar.

Filamentosus, cyaneus, angulatus, and lineopunctatus are closely related.

Eightline is bigger and a little more aggressive.

They can be mixed, but in smaller systems or in tanks with fewer wrasses, closer related species are less likely to work out together.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sweet, another diamond tail being released today...
That’s 3 terminal males in 3 days; their collectors definitely found a honeypot!
Haven’t seen this many released in almost 4 years.
And they’re releasing a terminal bell’s too, but that’s whatever...
There’s one collector in the Pacific, making the price of Bell’s expensive as hell, but they’re in abundance out there in Kwajalein so they’re not as rare as diamonds imo

Last edited:

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet, another diamond tail being released today...
That’s 3 terminal males in 3 days; their collectors definitely found a honeypot!
Haven’t seen this many released in almost 4 years.
And they’re releasing a terminal bell’s too, but that’s whatever...
There’s one collector in the Pacific, making the price of Bell’s expensive as hell, but they’re in abundance out there in Kwajalein so they’re not as rare as diamonds imo
Whoa! Yeah the Bells are beautiful but even the full size terminal males are tiny and hard to see all the colors. Nice fish regardless.

Mike S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh i have softball practice starting at 6 tonight. Girls might need to do a few more minutes of warmup unless one of you all want to try to snag the diamond tail for me! [emoji16]

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh i have softball practice starting at 6 tonight. Girls might need to do a few more minutes of warmup unless one of you all want to try to snag the diamond tail for me! [emoji16]
Actually you should probably be focused on practice promptly at 6pm. Just leave the diamondtail to those without those kind of responsibilities....

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll see, but the last couple went super fast. I would settle for someone on here to get it, but we'll see...

Mike S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive asked another source if they have seen any recently. The answer was just females which are hard to identify corectly. Im all too aware if that... have a nondiamondtail -diamondtail female in my tank! [emoji850]

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
female diamondtails are actually quite easy to identify due to their black dorsal spots...
but it does take a keen eye though

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody have any experience with a Powder Blue tang in wrasse dominant reef tank. I only plan to add one tang to my new tank. Just curious if they chase only non tangs

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve heard powderblue tangs are some of the meanest tangs available...
But I’ve never owned a tang, so I couldn’t give you a definite answer

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve heard powderblue tangs are some of the meanest tangs available...
But I’ve never owned a tang, so I couldn’t give you a definite answer
Yeah heard the same but thought it was directed at other tangs. Was just curious.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any experience with a Powder Blue tang in wrasse dominant reef tank. I only plan to add one tang to my new tank. Just curious if they chase only non tangs
Depends on the individual personality. Some powder blues could care less about non tangs, some hate anything that swims, most fall somewhere in between.

Back