The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't had much luck with copper and my 3 lineatus. I am only doing ttm and formalin dip. After ttm I just observe for 3 weeks to make sure no velvet.
I did TTM with my wrasses but even then there is always a small chance it gets in to your DT. I plan to use copper power and hanna checker for new batch coming in.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had much luck with copper and my 3 lineatus. I am only doing ttm and formalin dip. After ttm I just observe for 3 weeks to make sure no velvet.
When you say "haven't had much luck" do you mean they don't tolerate the copper well? or that you end up with ich/velvet.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup they would do great with the copper up until 1.3ppm and in the 7th day I up to 1.5ppm on Hanna checker they start to go hunger strike hiding then eventually die.

For me I'm not really worry about ich as it's already made it into my tank a year ago from a frag. None of my fish shows any signs except occasional dot or two. Reason I do ttm is try to minimalist introducing new ich so the old ich can die out. I'm more worry about velvet wiping my tank.

UV and ozone really helps me in keeping ick under control and not running rampant.

Last edited:

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup they would do great with the copper up until 1.3ppm and in the 7th day I up to 1.5ppm on Hanna checker they start to go hunger strike hiding then eventually die.

For me I'm not really worry about ich as it's already made it into my tank a year ago from a frag. None of my fish shows any signs except occasional dot or two. Reason I do ttm is try to minimalist introducing new ich so the old ich can die out. I'm more worry about velvet wiping my tank.

UV and ozone really helps me in keeping ick under control and not running rampant.
BTW - from your video post previously, what are you adding. I saw Lineatus, Blackfin and Hooded in one tank. The other wrasses looked like flames??

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that ich can stick around in QT for a long time (and in DT) but what about velvet? can velvet lay dormant and not show signs on a fish for 3-4 weeks? Or by then will it be clear if a fish has velvet?

I guess i ask, because i can try and just keep the fish in QT for 5-6 weeks and then only treat with copper/CP if there are signs of infection, or is that not effective?

I have a kole eye tang in QT, which i will be giving CP to in a different QT soon.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - from your video post previously, what are you adding. I saw Lineatus, Blackfin and Hooded in one tank. The other wrasses looked like flames??

Eight line flasher, magma wrasses, diamondtail flashers, Aussie hooded flames, regular flames, lineatus, gold rhomboid, and Rose belly fairy. They all made it past 2x formalin bath, 2x general cure , ttm. Now in observation for 2-3 weeks before display. Here the video of them in observation.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Eight line flasher, magma wrasses, diamondtail flashers, Aussie hooded flames, regular flames, lineatus, gold rhomboid, and Rose belly fairy. They all made it past 2x formalin bath, 2x general cure , ttm. Now in observation for 2-3 weeks before display. Here the video of them in observation.

Nice list. How big is the tank??

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first wrasse and would like to add some more. I have a 140 gallon tank. The mix I'd like is
Ruby head fairy wrasse
Scott's fairy wrasse
Exquisite fairy wrasse
Red Head Solon fairy wrasse.

Any problems with these in the same tank?

Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first wrasse and would like to add some more. I have a 140 gallon tank. The mix I'd like is
Ruby head fairy wrasse
Scott's fairy wrasse
Exquisite fairy wrasse
Red Head Solon fairy wrasse.

Any problems with these in the same tank?

Thanks!
Scotts fairy wrasses are aggressive to other fairy wrasses and their colors fade in captivity.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! I have the Ruby head fairy wrasse already. It's adapted to the tank real nice and is a very peaceful fish.
Agree with @eatbreakfast but also the Scotts and the Exquisite in same sub family and the Rubyhead and the Solon are in the same as well. If you have the Ruby, you could add the Exquisite but use acclimation box. There are many others that would fit the bill.

If you have not already, i would suggest reading @evolved 's stickies regarding compatibility. Great info.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was pretty aggressive with that particular QT protocol, somewhat as an experiment to see how the wrasse would handle it. She was QT'd with a 4" Gold Rim Tang at 60mg/gallon. She ate well the entire 30 days of QT as did the tang. 40mg/gallon is what Humblefish recommends for preventative treatment.

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is Pseudocheilinus tetrataenia mal tempered with other fish other than wrasse?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back