The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! So I moved an ornate leopard wrasse to my main tank on Saturday (5 days now) and she did great on the acclimation. Was swimming with the other fish and eating right away!

Next morning, no sign. Still no sign of her. I did not catch her burying herself and don't see any signs of her in the sand bed.

After 4 days do you think she's a goner or any chance of her coming back out?

Thanks for any anecdotal feedback

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I canot get over how beautiful this guy is, and the camera did not capture all the color can be seen on the body live.
Exquisite2018110801.jpg
Exquisite2018110802.jpg

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all! So I moved an ornate leopard wrasse to my main tank on Saturday (5 days now) and she did great on the acclimation. Was swimming with the other fish and eating right away!

Next morning, no sign. Still no sign of her. I did not catch her burying herself and don't see any signs of her in the sand bed.

After 4 days do you think she's a goner or any chance of her coming back out?

Thanks for any anecdotal feedback!
I have heard them bury for close to a week. I would just let it be and not disturb the sand. It will surface.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!!!! Ok....it has been forever since I had a fairy Wrasse.....I have all leopards, Yellow Coris, and red Coris, also a Melanarus. My LFS just got in last week a really nice solar Wrasse.....what do you guys think? Will the others get along with him?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a little aggressive but the wrasses you already have should be ok with it. If you add other fairies you could have some issues.

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, the leopards and melanurus generally did well with fairies...I can't speak to either coris, though, since my only experience thus far is limited to a juvenile yellow in a Biocube with two clownfish.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for guys for responding!! Yea I don't plan on adding other fairies....I mostly stick to leopards....I have the opportunity to buy a pair of them, but I am not sure how that would work out....

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for guys for responding!! Yea I don't plan on adding other fairies....I mostly stick to leopards....I have the opportunity to buy a pair of them, but I am not sure how that would work out....
If you add any just add one. A pair will not work out. You may want to use an acclimation box especially with the melanarus already established. Good luck.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. What variant? Pacific perhaps?
I don't know my regional variance of Exquisite well. The red coloration on anal fins and outline of pectoral fins points to Pacific group. Where in the pacific is the question. My guess is Sumatra, due to the yellow dorsal and red anal fins. It is hard because this fish is changing, not terminal male yet, and there are such variances of Exquisite though out the world oceans.
I read though this article, learn a little more but still cannot pinpoint the origin of my fish. Not African, not Indian Ocean, not eastern Pacific but somewhere in the western Pacific.

https://reefbuilders.com/2015/07/21/fairy-wrasses-exquisitus-complex/

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! What did you add? I see more than one Attenuatus.

1 male flame, 2 male Aussie hooded flame, 1 female Aussie hooded flame, 3 male diamondtail flasher, 2 male magma , 2 male eight line flasher, labouti, supermale rose belly fairy.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS got in a bunch of young M. negrosensis on Thursday. All of them look very lively and I'm very tempted to get one.

My concern is that I have an established pair of H. lapillus, and the female has bullied a female M. bipartitus before to the point of keeping her under the sand until she starved to death. The Bipartitus however had only one eye, which could have been why she was targeted.

Does anyone know of any issues between the species? @evolved , I believe you keep them together? My tank is however smaller than yours at 59” x 27.5” x 19.5”.

Although they are all young and fairly small, the plan would be to look for the one which is furthest developed to male, if at all, as that is what I prefer in the species.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished my work (at home before going to the office) early today so I got to watch my tank as the light go up. The fish were active and I got a few pictures. Just want to show off some inexpensive fish that are very beautiful IMO.
My Blue Flasher. Camera just don't do this fish justice. He is so active and difficult to take a good picture when he is flashing. Another name for him is Peacock Flasher due to his brilliance and multi-colors.
BlueFlasher2018111301.jpg

BlueFlasher2018111302.jpg

BlueFlasher2018111303.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 111 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back