The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

townjas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on adding a Anampses meleagrides to a 150 gallon tank with the following wrasses: Halichoeres Melanurus,, Halichoeres Bioecellatus and Halichoeres Chrysus?
And does anyone know of a good resource for juvi versus terminal male for Anampses wrasses?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on adding a Anampses meleagrides to a 150 gallon tank with the following wrasses: Halichoeres Melanurus,, Halichoeres Bioecellatus and Halichoeres Chrysus?
And does anyone know of a good resource for juvi versus terminal male for Anampses wrasses?
Should be fine.

Personally I prefer to see leopards and Anampses in person prior to purchase.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is also the PHOTO OF THE MONTH category- many wrasse pics on there

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still practicing my photo skills but here are three of the 6 Wrasse I have in my tank.

3K4A6291.jpg
3K4A6315.jpg
3K4A6275.jpg

scottsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Hunter(Evolved) or anyone. One of my LFS got in a new Wrasse and was wondering if you could help me out? The tag in store says its a black diamond creole wrasse. I came home and looked on line and species name is Cletpticus Parrae. I found an image online of one and will attach. In my tank now is a Solonaris wrasse, pintail wrasse, Exquisite wrasse and Lubboki wrasse. My tank is 180 gallon mixed reef. What can you tell me about this wrasse and mixing with my other wrasses. Thanks

1335850.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about this genus because I rarely see them offered for aquariums. That doesn't look much like the creole wrasse I've seen but I've never seen one that small. I can tell you from seeing them in their natural environment that they can get up to a foot long and travel in very large schools.

watch from 0:27 to 0:57, almost all of the fish in this section of video were creole wrasse

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This picture sorta show the incredible color of this fish, but not really. Iridescent blue purple gold and silver dorsal fin. He is so fast when he flashes that it is difficult to capture picture, then the iridescent colors just do not get capture well with camera.
BlueFlasher2018111501.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Hunter(Evolved) or anyone. One of my LFS got in a new Wrasse and was wondering if you could help me out? The tag in store says its a black diamond creole wrasse. I came home and looked on line and species name is Cletpticus Parrae. I found an image online of one and will attach. In my tank now is a Solonaris wrasse, pintail wrasse, Exquisite wrasse and Lubboki wrasse. My tank is 180 gallon mixed reef. What can you tell me about this wrasse and mixing with my other wrasses. Thanks

1335850.jpg
Tricky species. They do get big and live in large shoals in the ocean, but they're tough to get going in captivity. I tried a small group once in a QT and ended up losing them all, but I could see myself trying again in the future someday. I had ones ~1.5" and they were simply too little. Had I started with them around 2.5", I feel I could have pulled it off. The tiny guys just needed way too much food and tiny food pieces at that. Larger mouths which could eat pellets and then you'd have a chance.
In short, they need a lot of food, and they definitely won't eat well unless that food is presented in decent flow.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish me luck...this is my second attempt with this guy. First one never made it through the first night. This one made it through the process and is currently in an acclimation box eating and doing well....
2b5df03e0fe64c1f21bcbff3c72a1e52.jpg

Good luck Mike! If you can get it to eat these guys can be very hardy! I've had mine about 4 years.

Wrasse trio (1 of 1).jpg

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been following this thread for a while. I wanted to add a Melanurus, H. Chrysus, C. Lineatus, H. Dolores is but because I have a sixline in this thread I was advised not to do it. Well, I got tired of it and decided to try to trap my sixline with a Aquamedic Fishtrap.

I have read several threads saying that trapping a sixline is almost impossible, and there is that famous YouTube video from Mr Saltwater tank trying to capture his sixline. Needless to say I had very low hopes but decided to give it a try anyway.

Well, I am very happy to say that after putting the trap in the tank one week later I CAUGHT IT! [emoji2957][emoji2957][emoji2957]

I believe these traps are really great. You just need to get the fish used to feed inside the trap and after you see that they are comfortably swimming in and out (do not try to catch it the first time it gets inside) than you just need to pick your moment (in my case I had to make sure my Powder Blue tang was not in there as well as he is one absolute pig and goes in without a care in the world).

I now have my wonderful Melanurus and am over the moon [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4].

However, what I did not see coming was that as soon as the Melanurus entered the tank my Powder Blue Tang (Adult) and my Strigosos went straight for the poor Melanurus... [emoji33][emoji33]! Had to resort to the old mirror trick and the two tangs spent the rest of the weekend at taking their own reflection and for the most part ignored the Melanurus. What a pair of dorks!!

After that even though every now and than the PBT chases the Melanurus around but gives up quickly.

I also have an evil Chromis so decided to use the trap a second time. I though the fish would now be scared of it but no!!! It took me 10minutes to get that devil out !!!

One important aspect is that the trap has an opening so you can feed the fish inside the trap.

Very happy! Have my Chrysus in QT already [emoji4].

Last edited:

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a compatibility question....

Currently have
Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)

Am interested in:
Blue Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus cyaneus)
Orange Back Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis)
Pintail Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isosceles)

Any input on how these would do together? This is a list of just a few I like. I'd be interested in hearing which may not do well with each other, or others that may do well with all of these.

Thanks!

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a compatibility question....

Currently have
Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)

Am interested in:
Blue Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus cyaneus)
Orange Back Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis)
Pintail Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isosceles)

Any input on how these would do together? This is a list of just a few I like. I'd be interested in hearing which may not do well with each other, or others that may do well with all of these.

Thanks!
]

What size tank Josh? These should do well together in an appropriate size tank. Use an acclimation box but I wouldn't expect the H. melanurus to be a problem with these. Consider adding a second flasher wrasse and you will see a lot more displaying of the P. cyaneus.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
]

What size tank Josh? These should do well together in an appropriate size tank. Use an acclimation box but I wouldn't expect the H. melanurus to be a problem with these. Consider adding a second flasher wrasse and you will see a lot more displaying of the P. cyaneus.

Thanks, it's a reefer 350, so 73 display, 91 total.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back