The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys ever have a wrasse that just paces the glass all the time? I have one in QT that just won't stop and I'm worried.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys ever have a wrasse that just paces the glass all the time? I have one in QT that just won't stop and I'm worried.
The first couple days is normal in a new tank. I have had leopards and anampses that are more mature at collection do that beyond the first few days.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 2-3" China wrasse (Anampses) and its only been a few days but I've also had my Earmuff wrasse circle around a powerhead a lot in my display.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was messing around with my phone camera trying to get macros of the scoly when this guy swims up and steals the show.

f3803bc71b082f0a754f9f114b047f12.jpg

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 2-3" China wrasse (Anampses) and its only been a few days but I've also had my Earmuff wrasse circle around a powerhead a lot in my display.
Hi! I saw you mentioned China Wrasse.....I had one for years....after I lost him....I have tried twice to get a China Wrasse to make it....both times they paced the glass for days, they ate good though....then suddenly died...like fine one day and gone the next, other than the pacing. I gave up, and probably won't try to replace the one I lost. Hopefully yours will be fine though. Might be just acclimating still. Is he eating and everything?

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I saw you mentioned China Wrasse.....I had one for years....after I lost him....I have tried twice to get a China Wrasse to make it....both times they paced the glass for days, they ate good though....then suddenly died...like fine one day and gone the next, other than the pacing. I gave up, and probably won't try to replace the one I lost. Hopefully yours will be fine though. Might be just acclimating still. Is he eating and everything?
He is eating, although he seems to chew the food a bit and then spit it back out in smaller pieces I believe he is at least consuming some of it. He also picks at the rocks often, and appears plump, not skinny at all. I added a light to the qt tank yesterday and after that he seemed to improve and did less pacing, maybe it was too dim previously.

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice...I’ve had a red margin fairy wrasse in qt for about a week (3 1/2” male). He rarely swims around the tank (20 long). He hasn’t displayed any signs of disease whatsoever, other than lethargy. I haven’t actually seen him eat, but I did see some fish poop on the bottom today. I did one round of prazi on the third day, followed by a water change 48 hours later. He’s now sharing the tank with a pintail I picked up today unexpectedly. I was hoping that another wrasse in the tank would spur some reaction...not so much.

Thanks in advance

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is eating, although he seems to chew the food a bit and then spit it back out in smaller pieces I believe he is at least consuming some of it. He also picks at the rocks often, and appears plump, not skinny at all. I added a light to the qt tank yesterday and after that he seemed to improve and did less pacing, maybe it was too dim previously.
That's good news! Yea it could have been a case of him chasing his own reflection! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you! Keep us posted! [emoji16]

tp5056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So weird thing .. one of my red tail tamarin wrasses .. almost every time it goes to consume food I can hear an audible click.

Anyone else experience this?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there generally long term issues between h. biocellatus and an orchid dottyback? i just added the wrasse and the dottyback, who previously seemed overly timid if anything, has decided to become a dbag. the wrasse doesn't seem overly stressed about it, shes yet to go bury in sand, but i'm hoping they're just figuring things out

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there generally long term issues between h. biocellatus and an orchid dottyback? i just added the wrasse and the dottyback, who previously seemed overly timid if anything, has decided to become a dbag. the wrasse doesn't seem overly stressed about it, shes yet to go bury in sand, but i'm hoping they're just figuring things out
There usually isn't too much of an issue between those 2. It should work itself out in a day or two.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There usually isn't too much of an issue between those 2. It should work itself out in a day or two.

awesome! the wrasse didn't seem to mind too much, just darted out of the way and then went back to cruising around looking for stuff to eat, but the dottyback was just being a dick. i could see him lurking in his cave kind of on the lookout for the wrasse to cruise by.

Oceanreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F58D727D-9500-4AF0-844F-C32D046ACCC2.jpeg
My leopard wrasse is transitioning to male! I’m really excited but have noticed that his best buddy Hector our male melanarus doesn’t seem to happy about it, nothing super aggressive, just chasing him off. Potential issues? Hoping not @eatbreakfast @evolved

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F58D727D-9500-4AF0-844F-C32D046ACCC2.jpeg
My leopard wrasse is transitioning to male! I’m really excited but have noticed that his best buddy Hector our male melanarus doesn’t seem to happy about it, nothing super aggressive, just chasing him off. Potential issues? Hoping not @eatbreakfast @evolved
In most cases it will work itself out, but there are some instances wherr a melanurus can bully other wrasses. Keep a watchful eye to see if it subsides.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back