The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Jcarvallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new addition

A solorensis, it has been 3 days in my tank and seems to be great.
It was beat a litle bit in the tail, but now nobody is bothering him.

Do you think that the dorsal fin wound will grow again? It had that wound when I buy it, I did not see signs of infection so I took it.

The Escaped Ape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3A9A265A-EC55-473C-85E5-CFF423DE36A7.jpeg I’m back in the hobby after a long break and finally have my tank (40”x 28”x 20”) set up. It has a 3-4” sand bed and a moderate amount of cycled dry rock. A few tiny frags only, as coral very hard to come by where I am.

So far, in terms of fish, there’s not much in the tank - a pair of Perc clowns and, from today, a Citron Clown Goby and Eight Line Flasher Wrasse. I want to add a Purple Firefish as well.

I hope people don’t mind if I quote my last post for details on my set up. Nothing’s changed so far - still waiting on that Purple Firefish (promised it might arrive this week).

When I last posted, I mentioned there’s only one LFS in the country I live in that deals with marine fish. Well, he’s just told me he’s going to get a shipment from Bali and sent a huge list of options - some far too big for my tank or not that peaceful.

I’ve narrowed that list down to four fish I’d like to add. The question is, with my size tank and current stocking (plus the Purple Firefish), can I add all four? Here are the fish:

Cirrhilabrus Exquisitus
Cirrhilabrus Lubbocki
Cirrhilabrus Rubrimarginatus
Halichoeres Melanurus

What do people think? I’d really appreciate some advice from wrasse experts!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope people don’t mind if I quote my last post for details on my set up. Nothing’s changed so far - still waiting on that Purple Firefish (promised it might arrive this week).

When I last posted, I mentioned there’s only one LFS in the country I live in that deals with marine fish. Well, he’s just told me he’s going to get a shipment from Bali and sent a huge list of options - some far too big for my tank or not that peaceful.

I’ve narrowed that list down to four fish I’d like to add. The question is, with my size tank and current stocking (plus the Purple Firefish), can I add all four? Here are the fish:

Cirrhilabrus Exquisitus
Cirrhilabrus Lubbocki
Cirrhilabrus Rubrimarginatus
Halichoeres Melanurus

What do people think? I’d really appreciate some advice from wrasse experts!
How many gallons is that? 80?

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
An online calculator tells me 97 US gallons.
I would say those are all pretty safe bets with what you have. Do you plan to add all at once? I would shy away from add all at once given the increased bioload. Add them over a few weeks. I would add the Exquisite last or the melanarus last and use an acclimation box for each addition. Others may chime in but that is what I would do. Good luck! Should be very active tank.

The Escaped Ape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say those are all pretty safe bets with what you have. Do you plan to add all at once? I would shy away from add all at once given the increased bioload. Add them over a few weeks. I would add the Exquisite last or the melanarus last and use an acclimation box for each addition. Others may chime in but that is what I would do. Good luck! Should be very active tank.

Many thanks - I really appreciate the advice. I think that’s doable even with them all arriving at the LFS at once. They’re pretty laid back and would probably keep hold of them until I can add them.

What do you think about adding them in two stages? The Lubbock’s and rubrimarginatus first, followed by the Exquisite and melanarus?

I ordered an acclimation box from the UK, anticipating that I’d need it for just this. I should have it in time for the second addition at least. It has two compartments.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many thanks - I really appreciate the advice. I think that’s doable even with them all arriving at the LFS at once. They’re pretty laid back and would probably keep hold of them until I can add them.

What do you think about adding them in two stages? The Lubbock’s and rubrimarginatus first, followed by the Exquisite and melanarus?

I ordered an acclimation box from the UK, anticipating that I’d need it for just this. I should have it in time for the second addition at least. It has two compartments.
Sounds doable but just watch for any aggression when they are in the box. Good luck

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies if this has already been answered.
I didn't find it in search.

H. Chrysus

Almost every single listing/article/fish selling site mentions these can be kept safely as a group at all stages of life.

I have access to 5 under 1.75". Smallest is 0.75"

Can I do them as a group for at least several years?

Will they eventually need to be separated?

Thank you!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's weird but shows how much individual fish can vary from what's expected. My C. exquisitus was very laid back, almost to the point of being a little shy. My C. rubrimarginalis however, was very bold and for a while was the boss wrasse in the tank. He was quite large though. I think putting them in two at a time would work just like you have lined out. The C. lubbocki is pretty feisty for a small fairy wrasse and can usually hold his own. I would expect the meanurus and Exquisite to mainly ignore each other except for competition for food. Absolutely use that acclimation box.

The Escaped Ape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's weird but shows how much individual fish can vary from what's expected. My C. exquisitus was very laid back, almost to the point of being a little shy. My C. rubrimarginalis however, was very bold and for a while was the boss wrasse in the tank. He was quite large though. I think putting them in two at a time would work just like you have lined out. The C. lubbocki is pretty feisty for a small fairy wrasse and can usually hold his own. I would expect the meanurus and Exquisite to mainly ignore each other except for competition for food. Absolutely use that acclimation box.

Thanks for your advice too, I’m really grateful.

What would be your opinion on whether I can add any more fish once these wrasses have been added (as a reminder: 97g, current stock 2 Percs, 1 Citron Goby, 1 Eightline Flasher Wrasse - intending to add one Firefish before wrasses arrive)? In theory, I’m wondering about perhaps one more fish after the wrasses (a dwarf angel or a Purple Tang).

If that’s my limit, I might have to consider taking my wrasse order down to three fish, but I’ve been sparing every spare moment today wondering which of the four I’d drop and finding it hard to pick one...

Thoughts also welcome on the pros and cons of the fourth wrasse vs the options I mention above - variety is good I’m assuming.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for your advice too, I’m really grateful.

What would be your opinion on whether I can add any more fish once these wrasses have been added (as a reminder: 97g, current stock 2 Percs, 1 Citron Goby, 1 Eightline Flasher Wrasse - intending to add one Firefish before wrasses arrive)? In theory, I’m wondering about perhaps one more fish after the wrasses (a dwarf angel or a Purple Tang).

If that’s my limit, I might have to consider taking my wrasse order down to three fish, but I’ve been sparing every spare moment today wondering which of the four I’d drop and finding it hard to pick one...

Thoughts also welcome on the pros and cons of the fourth wrasse vs the options I mention above - variety is good I’m assuming.

I think it all depends on your nutrient export and husbandry. I would vote against a purple tang as they can get nasty in a tank that size. if you are looking for grazer then maybe a whitetail bristletooth tang. The angel might be fine but would possibly pick at certain corals.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My apologies if this has already been answered.
I didn't find it in search.

H. Chrysus

Almost every single listing/article/fish selling site mentions these can be kept safely as a group at all stages of life.

I have access to 5 under 1.75". Smallest is 0.75"

Can I do them as a group for at least several years?

Will they eventually need to be separated?

Thank you!

I've seen 2-3 in a tank before but it was a bigger tank. So I would think so.

The Escaped Ape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it all depends on your nutrient export and husbandry. I would vote against a purple tang as they can get nasty in a tank that size. if you are looking for grazer then maybe a whitetail bristletooth tang. The angel might be fine but would possibly pick at certain corals.

Thanks again. Will do some more research and make some decisions!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think adding a grazer would be a problem as it would occupy a different niche in the tank. Agree with @HairyGary that a purple tang would not be the best choice. It might work fine. Mine have only been a problem with other tangs or grazers. Some seem to not like any other fish in a mid sized tank.

Kole, White Tailed, Tomini or Two Spot bristle tooth tangs would work fine IMO.

The Escaped Ape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think adding a grazer would be a problem as it would occupy a different niche in the tank. Agree with @HairyGary that a purple tang would not be the best choice. It might work fine. Mine have only been a problem with other tangs or grazers. Some seem to not like any other fish in a mid sized tank.

Kole, White Tailed, Tomini or Two Spot bristle tooth tangs would work fine IMO.
Thank you - good to get another opinion. Will start looking into those options. I’m based in Sri Lanka, so will have to see what’s available. Purple Tangs are cheaply and easily because we’re not that far from the Red Sea, but message received and understood on them not being the right choice.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So i have had a flame wrasse in quarantine for about a 10 days now. The first week it was definitely shy, and only eating sporadically, but is now eating with gusto and not shy at all.

I am about to start Prazi.

I got a prescription for CP and i have coppersafe, but i am really nervous.

For CP- i am nervous that despite Humblefish's recent successes with fairy wrasses, it may not translate to a flame wrasse.

With copper, i am worried that i won't be able to properly read the copper amount as the tests are notoriously hard to figure out.

Anyone have pointers for both?

It has been a long journey for me to get a healthy specimen, and i don't want to blow it now.

Linus

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So i have had a flame wrasse in quarantine for about a 10 days now. The first week it was definitely shy, and only eating sporadically, but is now eating with gusto and not shy at all.

I am about to start Prazi.

I got a prescription for CP and i have coppersafe, but i am really nervous.

For CP- i am nervous that despite Humblefish's recent successes with fairy wrasses, it may not translate to a flame wrasse.

With copper, i am worried that i won't be able to properly read the copper amount as the tests are notoriously hard to figure out.

Anyone have pointers for both?

It has been a long journey for me to get a healthy specimen, and i don't want to blow it now.

Linus

I haven't had much luck with copper and my 3 lineatus. I am only doing ttm and formalin dip. After ttm I just observe for 3 weeks to make sure no velvet.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back