The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the aggressive cirrhilabrus would bully the dusky? or try to and it'd go poorly?
Uh, yes? It would just be a tinderbox waiting for disaster, one way or another.
Of course, there's a chance it might work, but...

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C1D2CEBD-E299-4B7E-AE31-6E6D38262492.jpeg

The melagris transition is complete, also my potters photobombing

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does a transition from female to male take

Time for the change or time for the change to start ? The transition is fast 2-4 days in my experience. This melagris is ~4 years old, I got two as juvenile 1.5”. The one became male in 6 months then died a year later. This one as female became huge and stayed that way for 3 years. I also have a bipartisus that has been female for over 5 years and the potters is 4 years old as a female. Unlike fairy wrasse where they all head to male relatively fast, leopards it’s hard to tell when or if they will transition IME.

flamez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for the change or time for the change to start ? The transition is fast 2-4 days in my experience. This melagris is ~4 years old, I got two as juvenile 1.5”. The one became male in 6 months then died a year later. This one as female became huge and stayed that way for 3 years. I also have a bipartisus that has been female for over 5 years and the potters is 4 years old as a female. Unlike fairy wrasse where they all head to male relatively fast, leopards it’s hard to tell when or if they will transition IME.
OK thanks is there any difference for halichoeres wrasse and there transition

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introducing wrasses. What order. Is their a specific order?

I have a hooded fairy and carpenter divided on one side of my 20g qt. Carpenter kind of chases hooded but no Mark's. My pink margin is on the other side of my 20g because she was chasing my hooded when I first put them in qt before I divided. The pink is a largest. Its female as of now. Hooded is a female and carpenter is a male.

I also have a pintail Male being shipped Tuesday. My plan was putting pintail and hooded in 1st. To get situated since carpenter has been chasing the hooded. Today I went to feed the wrasses and noticed for the first time. Larger pink margin was on the small divider side. How she got there is a mystery. I looked. No way she squeezed by divider. I looked and look. Maybe jumped. I netted her put her back. She has top fin and rear fin kind of torn. Also 2 red lines on one side of the body redish scrapes. Maybe from jump or divider. But I maybe suspect small carpenter punking her when she got over there.

Now I'm wondering if I should release the female pink and hooded first. Ans save the Male carpenter to be last one released maybe a week later.

Any suggestions?
Should males be last?

Main tank is 100g display with 120lb LR

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have a hooded fairy and carpenter divided on one side of my 20g qt. Carpenter kind of chases hooded but no Mark's. My pink margin is on the other side of my 20g because she was chasing my hooded when I first put them in qt before I divided. The pink is a largest. Its female as of now. Hooded is a female and carpenter is a male.

I also have a pintail Male being shipped Tuesday. My plan was putting pintail and hooded in 1st. To get situated since carpenter has been chasing the hooded. Today I went to feed the wrasses and noticed for the first time. Larger pink margin was on the small divider side. How she got there is a mystery. I looked. No way she squeezed by divider. I looked and look. Maybe jumped. I netted her put her back. She has top fin and rear fin kind of torn. Also 2 red lines on one side of the body redish scrapes. Maybe from jump or divider. But I maybe suspect small carpenter punking her when she got over there.

Now I'm wondering if I should release the female pink and hooded first. Ans save the Male carpenter to be last one released maybe a week later.

Any suggestions?
Should males be last?

I'm a little surprised the Carpenter is chasing the Bathyphilius. Couple thoughts - Why not remove the divider to see how they all get along in the 20L QT tank?

If the Carpenter is indeed the aggressor I would add him last after you get the other two situated in the DT for a bit. Additionally, if the Margin appears injured it may make sense to keep it in the QT until it heals up.

As for the Pintail, are you QTing it as well? Any other wrasses in the DT at this time?

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little surprised the Carpenter is chasing the Bathyphilius. Couple thoughts - Why not remove the divider to see how they all get along in the 20L QT tank?

If the Carpenter is indeed the aggressor I would add him last after you get the other two situated in the DT for a bit. Additionally, if the Margin appears injured it may make sense to keep it in the QT until it heals up.

As for the Pintail, are you QTing it as well? Any other wrasses in the DT at this time?

Male Pintail is fully qt. Just not in the same 20g. No current wrasses in display these are only the 4 planned.

Qt is up next Tuesday so Wednesday morning I was gonna put the female hooded in and pintail.

The girlfriend also mentioned remove divider and see who is the bully and keep that one in. Which I might not do. atleast a week early.

Also I thought the red lines on side were from her stuffing herself by the plastic divider but I just dont see how it's possible. There is no visual gap semi large enough. So the fact that 2 find are torn. Makes me think she got punked. Hooded is a wuss and been chased by carpenter since the start and pink which is why I suspect the carpenter

Last edited:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know what this wrasse is?

CCDEC5E8-8A8D-488B-AAC0-CA29C2174B80.jpeg 7D8EDDF3-2866-4F04-B89E-3DBECBCE7AF4.jpeg
Coris formosa.
OK thanks is it normal for a wrasse to go sleep early during this period
Sometimes they'll bury for most of this period, so it's possible.

Any suggestions?
Should males be last?

Order isn't necessarily as critical as proper introduction using an acclimation box. Often specimens sold as "female" are sub males.

Agree with these thoughts.
Also I thought the red lines on side were from her stuffing herself by the plastic divider but I just dont see how it's possible. There is no visual gap semi large enough.
If the head fits, the fish fits. I'll hedge my bets on it having squeezed through someplace and that being the source of the damage.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He might just be banged up from getting by divider if he did but doesnt answer the fact rear fin and top fin is torn
-36967176.jpg
Could be a bacterial infection rather than an injury; definitely something to keep an eye on or just start antibiotics, just in case.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @evolved. So with these 4. And no wrasses currently in display. How do you recommend I put the 4 in? Same exact time?

Yup started antibiotics just to play it safe
Probably the three fairy's first and the flasher last, given how its shown aggression. A bit backwards from the norm, but there are no hard set rules with this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back