The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking for Wrasse Suggestions

Hello! I'd appreciate any suggestions for a "reef safe" wrasse for a 120G Reef Tank. I'd really like to add a wrasse but each seems to have their own characteristics. I'm not too worried about the fish, but I have a Maxima clam, BTA, and an assortment of corals (polyp, LPS, and softies). Thanks in advance!
Lots to choose from but I would recommend you read these threads to give you a starting point.

Good luck!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get more but hear the Mystery Wrasse might not play well with others?
Correct. Pseudocheilinus wrasses do not mix well with others.
hi guys i just got a new Cirrhilabrus solorensis wrasse today put in the tank and haven't seen the wrasse since adding it to the tank is this normal
Somewhat normal. If it is not out and about at most times in 5-7 days, then there's something else going on.
i have a male brunneus, a large moyers and a small lubbocks wrasse in my 150 gal. I found another male brunneus at the LRS and wondered if there was anyway i could keep 2 males with the stock i got. ideas/thoughts? my male is bigger than the one at the store but that one is already male for sure.

i also have some angels and a black tang some hawks and a pair of clowns. everyones happy but i like brunneus wrasses lol
Definitely not. You'll have one victim and one victor in pretty short order.
anyone have a wrasse that like skims the water line and spits water? lol..

she just does that all day. i figured it was some weird QT thing, but she finished qt today and i put her in an observation tank with rock and sand all the fun stuff and she's still doing it. i hear her clicking in there as i type this

@evolved

Looks like it's chasing the bubbles, which makes me think it's hungry. How much/often are you feeding?
What kind is this?

IMG_20191110_182457.jpg
C. solorensis, male.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Pseudocheilinus wrasses do not mix well with others.

Somewhat normal. If it is not out and about at most times in 5-7 days, then there's something else going on.

Definitely not. You'll have one victim and one victor in pretty short order.

Looks like it's chasing the bubbles, which makes me think it's hungry. How much/often are you feeding?

C. solorensis, male.

frequently, food is hit or miss for her though. some days she will eat frozen, others only live blackworms :confused:

at the lfs she was eating pellets!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question, but did you try the exact same pellets?

not so silly, i actually didn't ask what kind of pellets. i'll give the lfs a call tomorrow to see what he feeds. i have a variety of quality pellets so i just assumed she'd go for some of them, but it's hit or miss. at first she'd go for nyos ones, looks at TDO but won't eat, pe mysis pellets are too small i think.

i tried some flakes since she seems so infatuated with the surface, but ehhh.

idk i don't get it. i figured she was just not happy in a barebottom copper qt with pvc and spongebob castle lol, but now this tank is a 40 gallon breeder with rock and sand (albeit newly cycled so not really live) and no meds.

good call on asking the specific pellets, i didn't think of that!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these halichoeres hartzfeldii sure are pretty that DD has gotten in, do standard halichoeres rules apply? 7" max size so likely quite rude and invert eating machines?

for reference, similar to ornatissimus on the wrasse on wrasse aggression scale?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these halichoeres hartzfeldii sure are pretty that DD has gotten in, do standard halichoeres rules apply? 7" max size so likely quite rude and invert eating machines?

for reference, similar to ornatissimus on the wrasse on wrasse aggression scale?
I can't speak to the aggression of the species, but it's getting closer to the parrotfish family in its body shape. So I'd expect a motile invert eating machine.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these day I am going to get a top down picture of my Eightline Flasher when he is flashing. This is just a normal, non nuptial coloration.
EightlineFlasher2019111201.jpg

Color is good but not quite in focus Cyanopleura Fairy
CyanopleuraFairy2019111201.jpg

Lubbock Fairy
LubbockFairyB2019102201.jpg

LubbockFairyA2019111201.jpg

Unthinkable

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe my Flame wrasse is transitioning or has transitioned to male! She went from a red color with a white belly and clear/yellow fins to a yellow/orange body and pink/red fins. Here is a video of her a month ago! Sorry for the blues

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe my Flame wrasse is transitioning or has transitioned to male! She went from a red color with a white belly and clear/yellow fins to a yellow/orange body and pink/red fins. Here is a video of her a month ago! Sorry for the blues

Yeah, that's a transitional male.

#1Fellowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys i just got a new Cirrhilabrus solorensis wrasse today put in the tank and haven't seen the wrasse since adding it to the tank is this normal
Yes it’s absolutely perfect and normal as mine didn’t come out for about 24 hours and I have in some threads read that some have not seen theirs until 26 days after adding them and finally saw them after. So it’s very very normal for wrasse to burry themselves in the sand bed and while they are there DO NOT disturb or try to look for them by moving the rocks or making any changes to the sand bed as that will only and only add to the process to be delayed and worse case stress them out even more.. hope this helps.

EricLibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy was at my local shop for at least a month and for some reason nobody picked him up. I had been thinking about getting a lineatus that they had for a few weeks but ultimately my tank isn't big enough and I didn't want to risk that much money. I have not had good luck with orange backs in the past but I always got them a few days after they come in and they just don't thrive. I'm hoping this guy is different. I put him in the tank and he came right out and ate frozen brine an hour later. He was cruising the tank all afternoon looking super nice. I also picked up a really nice ornate leopard that also ate right after he was added. Usually I add a wrasse and they immediately hide but these two stayed out and acted like they had been in the tank forever. I think I'm done adding fish, I really like this group and I hope they all get along once they settle in.

Splendid pintail fair wrasse
Mccoskers flasher wrasse
Orange back fairy wrasse
Black leopard wrasse
Ornate leopard wrasse
Blue damsel
Fire fish
Phantom clown
Snowflake clown

Screenshot_20191105-201039.png

So far so good.... This orange back seems to be doing really well, eating whatever I put in the tank, and so far hasn't paid any attention to my other wrasses. Very happy with my decision !

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - I currently have a juvenile harlequin tusk wrasse (about 4-inches) in my 100g and I’m getting a juvenile Dragon Wrasse in a few days. To QT my DW, do I need sand, since they like to hide/sleep in sand? Will the DW and HTW play nice with each other?

mredwin25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question guys, a pintail, filamented and a mystery wrasse in 5 foot tank, yay or nay?

tp5056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, need some advice if I can fit in a Lineatus Wrasse with my current stock in a 120 gallon tank:

- Black Leopard Wrasse (f)
- Moyers Wrasse (f)
- Blue Star Wrasse (f)
- Potters Wrasse (f)
- China Wrasse (f)
- Cleaner Wrasse (f)
- Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse (m)
- Flame Fairy Wrasse (m)
- Onyx Clowns (2)
- Yellow Tang

Last edited:

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, need some advice if I can fit in a Lineatus Wrasse with my current stock in a 120 gallon tank:

- Black Leopard Wrasse (f)
- Moyers Wrasse (f)
- Blue Star Wrasse (f)
- Potters Wrasse (f)
- China Wrasse (f)
- Cleaner Wrasse (f)
- Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse (m)
- Flame Fairy Wrasse (m)
- Onyx Clowns (2)
- Yellow Tang

pink margin and lineatus are in the same complex

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I have a Black Leopard Wrasse in a 120g, and I'd like to add two more wrasse to the tank. I've had McCosker's Flasher and Red Head Solon Fairy in the past. I was considering another McCosker's but I think it may be a bit small for the 120 (previous tank was 65).

Thoughts / recommendations on the next two wrasse (that would get a long and add a lot of color)?
* Melanarus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) - or similar (up to 4.5" - a little concerned about skunk cleaners, but I don't have any currently) - partly to help with potential pest outbreaks, but I like the color too.
* Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus) - love the coloration (especially the Maldives one)
- Scott's Fairy Wrasse - but not likely unless somehow I find a really good price on one.
- Velvet Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus luteovittatus) - like the unique blue/purple coloration, but also a bit too pricey
- Sea Grass Wrasse (Novaculichthys macrolepidotus) - not sure about this one, but the green color is very unique...
- Mystery Wrasse - maybe a little too pricey
- Naoko's Fairy Wrasse - a little smaller than I'd like, and also pricey

I'm leaning towards the first two, but considering others (and open to suggestions) as well! BTW, do any of these help with vermetid snails? Thanks,
--Kyle

BTW, existing fish include:
Hippo Tang
Sailfin Tang
Yellow Tang
Black Leopard Wrasse
Coral Beauty Angelfish (in another tank for now)*
Ocellaris Clownfish (in another tank for now)*
Royal Gramma Basslet (in another tank for now)*
These 3 will probably be added the same time as the new fish (after quarantine / TTM).

I'll also probably get:
Yellowhead Jawfish
Maybe A watchman goby
Maybe a dartfish
Possibly one more tang (purple or powder blue)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the Hippo and Sailfin tangs are too large/will get too large for a 120. I would consider that they are too large for my 320 gal tank. Of the wrasses you mentioned, I would avoid the Scott's Fairy and the Mystery wrasse. Don't know about the Sea Grass Wrasse (Novaculichthys macrolepidotus).
I would not all of the wrasse mentioned in your 120 DT. IMO, 120 is not too large of a tank.

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the Hippo and Sailfin tangs are too large/will get too large for a 120. I would consider that they are too large for my 320 gal tank. Of the wrasses you mentioned, I would avoid the Scott's Fairy and the Mystery wrasse.

Any particular reason to avoid the Scott's and Mystery? They aren't at the top of my list, so NBD, but just curious why.

My hippo and sailfin aren't particularly large. Tangs grow slowly. My yellow hasn't grown more than an inch or so over the past 9 years (it's about 4"). At any rate, once the others get too large for my tank, I'll rehome them to someone with a larger tank. Thanks,
--Kyle

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back