The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved Where is this chart.. I have not been able to locate it... And as a rising.. ummm... Excited.. ummmmm learning about wrasses guy, I would love to see this..
Check out the other sticky threads too on this forum (fish discussion).

EricLibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm looking for some help deciding on another wrasse or two to add to my tank. I have a 75 gallon mixed reef and don't want anything potentially problematic and I don't want any halichoeres... My current stock list is

Pintail fairy wrasse
Lubbucks fairy wrasse
Black leopard wrasse
Filamented flasher wrasse
Pair of clown fish
Blue damsel
Cleaner shrimp

If possible I'd like to add another fairy wrasse and possibly another leopard wrasse. I'm not sure how many fish I need to up my bio load in this tank but at the moment my nitrates are consistently on the low end and I'd like to raise them by adding more livestock.

Last edited:

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all, I'm looking for some help deciding on another wrasse or two to add to my tank. I have a 75 gallon mixed reef and don't want anything potentially problematic and I don't want any halichoeres... My current stock list is

Pintail fairy wrasse
Lubbucks fairy wrasse
Black leopard wrasse
Filamented flasher wrasse
Pair of clown fish
Blue damsel

If possible I'd like to add another fairy wrasse and possibly another leopard wrasse. I'm not sure how many fish I need to up my bio load in this tank but at the moment my nitrates consistently on the low end and if like to raise them. I run a chaeto reactor and need to raise my nitrates and want to do it naturally
First off welcome to Reef2Reef!

Given the size of your tank you may be limited to a smaller Cirrhilabrus or maybe another flasher. Bioloads can be tricky but I would add one at a time and let things settle before trying to add another. Always make sure to use acclimation box to gauge the aggression of current tankmates as well.

EricLibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response and the welcome.... I agree about the size of my tank and looking nfor smaller species. I was considering a pair pygmy wrasse also but I don't know much about them or how they would work with my current stock list ? If anyone has any experience with them I'd appreciate any info.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally have wrasses!
DSC_0009.jpg

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Diamond Tail Wrasse become personable?

For the last week I have had a coworker feed my office tank. The first day he lets me know that my diamond tail wrasse is probably dead since he did not show up when he fed morning and evening. By the second day he finally came out and was sluggish but did eat. The last day he fed him before I came back he was laying on his side in front of the tank half dead as he was described to me by coworker.

Enter today my first day back and he is back to normal bossing everyone in the tank and eating like a pig! I have had fish in the past that if not use to seeing you would hide, but never to this extent.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For the last week I have had a coworker feed my office tank. The first day he lets me know that my diamond tail wrasse is probably dead since he did not show up when he fed morning and evening. By the second day he finally came out and was sluggish but did eat. The last day he fed him before I came back he was laying on his side in front of the tank half dead as he was described to me by coworker.

Enter today my first day back and he is back to normal bossing everyone in the tank and eating like a pig! I have had fish in the past that if not use to seeing you would hide, but never to this extent.
Sounds like something else is going on, to me.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the wrasse club... I warn you their very addictive... I have 21 now...and an empty bank account...
I'll consider myself lucky that my tank isn't large enough for that many!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am glad his is better. It it possible that your co worker did not like you and wanted to give you some heart burn while on vacation, knowing how much money you spend on this fish?
Did he send you a picture of the wrasse doing poorly?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back