The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad his is better. It it possible that your co worker did not like you and wanted to give you some heart burn while on vacation, knowing how much money you spend on this fish?
Did he send you a picture of the wrasse doing poorly?
Well since my coworker has been taking care of my tanks since 2007 when I am on vacation, he knows my fish pretty well. And like always Mr. DT is bouncing around the tank this morning waiting to be fed.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am catching up on getting more wrasses into my tank.

coral-1-4.jpg

What a pretty face
coral-1-4.jpg

Last edited:

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, looking for advice from the wrasse experts, specifically the leopards. I am ready to pull the trigger on a nice large male Blue Star. My question is compatibility with the community I currently have since he will be the last fish in. My 125 mixed reef is mature and has lots of pods in the refugium and DT as well. Current fish: 4-5" Orange Spot Rabbit Fish, 4" Melanerus, 4" Yellow Wrasse, 3" Black Leopard Wrasse, Med. size Copperband Butterfly, pair of small clowns, blenny. I feed LRS and frozen Brine.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, looking for advice from the wrasse experts, specifically the leopards. I am ready to pull the trigger on a nice large male Blue Star. My question is compatibility with the community I currently have since he will be the last fish in. My 125 mixed reef is mature and has lots of pods in the refugium and DT as well. Current fish: 4-5" Orange Spot Rabbit Fish, 4" Melanerus, 4" Yellow Wrasse, 3" Black Leopard Wrasse, Med. size Copperband Butterfly, pair of small clowns, blenny. I feed LRS and frozen Brine.
Relatively safe - just a small risk with it being a male and potentially trying to fight with your existing black leopard.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a female be a better alternative (hoping that it would transgender later)?
Safer immediately, but male bipartitus can sometimes just be pretty intolerant of other leopards - regardless of when it transitions.

EricLibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy was at my local shop for at least a month and for some reason nobody picked him up. I had been thinking about getting a lineatus that they had for a few weeks but ultimately my tank isn't big enough and I didn't want to risk that much money. I have not had good luck with orange backs in the past but I always got them a few days after they come in and they just don't thrive. I'm hoping this guy is different. I put him in the tank and he came right out and ate frozen brine an hour later. He was cruising the tank all afternoon looking super nice. I also picked up a really nice ornate leopard that also ate right after he was added. Usually I add a wrasse and they immediately hide but these two stayed out and acted like they had been in the tank forever. I think I'm done adding fish, I really like this group and I hope they all get along once they settle in.

Splendid pintail fair wrasse
Mccoskers flasher wrasse
Orange back fairy wrasse
Black leopard wrasse
Ornate leopard wrasse
Blue damsel
Fire fish
Phantom clown
Snowflake clown

Screenshot_20191105-201039.png

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 139 gal tank fully stocked for a great price. Wasn't even sure what was in there. Don't have a pic, fish are all in quarantine, but this guy is mine now! I want to get more but hear the Mystery Wrasse might not play well with others?

Last edited:

ghstrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a male brunneus, a large moyers and a small lubbocks wrasse in my 150 gal. I found another male brunneus at the LRS and wondered if there was anyway i could keep 2 males with the stock i got. ideas/thoughts? my male is bigger than the one at the store but that one is already male for sure.

i also have some angels and a black tang some hawks and a pair of clowns. everyones happy but i like brunneus wrasses lol

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have a wrasse that like skims the water line and spits water? lol..

she just does that all day. i figured it was some weird QT thing, but she finished qt today and i put her in an observation tank with rock and sand all the fun stuff and she's still doing it. i hear her clicking in there as i type this

@evolved

Last edited:

Doc Lemonjello

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a male brunneus, a large moyers and a small lubbocks wrasse in my 150 gal. I found another male brunneus at the LRS and wondered if there was anyway i could keep 2 males with the stock i got. ideas/thoughts? my male is bigger than the one at the store but that one is already male for sure.

i also have some angels and a black tang some hawks and a pair of clowns. everyones happy but i like brunneus wrasses lol
You shouldn't mix fairy wrasses of the same species as they will both transition to males and eventually try to kill each other.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for Wrasse Suggestions

Hello! I'd appreciate any suggestions for a "reef safe" wrasse for a 120G Reef Tank. I'd really like to add a wrasse but each seems to have their own characteristics. I'm not too worried about the fish, but I have a Maxima clam, BTA, and an assortment of corals (polyp, LPS, and softies). Thanks in advance!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back