The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip! Would that be a good thing to use for the femininus too?

I'm nearing the end of stocking my 6' tank and showed my wife a picture of A. femininus last night...with the price tag in view. She said if ever a fish was worth that, that one is! :D I'm taking that as consent! The search is on!

Im pretty sure it should work(based off lennardi attacking it when available) supplemented with some mysis through a powerhead! Id take it as so :) snag one if its eating and available!

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At last he comes out after 3 days hiding...
my Fijian c. Scottorum
968CC9DF-D20B-420B-B924-F1840E22EC4E.jpeg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved Will anampses feminus be fine with Anampses lennardi in the same tank?
Should be okay...
I’ve seen them together, but that was in a massive tank as the lennardis get so big...
But that's a good point to keep in mind. Lennardi is a foot long fish at maturity; needs hundreds of gallons (or thousands of liters, if you prefer).

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the tip! Would that be a good thing to use for the femininus too?

I'm nearing the end of stocking my 6' tank and showed my wife a picture of A. femininus last night...with the price tag in view. She said if ever a fish was worth that, that one is! :D I'm taking that as consent! The search is on!
Seems like green light to me!

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be okay...

But that's a good point to keep in mind. Lennardi is a foot long fish at maturity; needs hundreds of gallons (or thousands of liters, if you prefer).
Perfect! Not only a gorgeous fish but I'll be forced to upgrade the tank in the future! I'm already making plans and hoping my girlfriend doesn't read this... ;)

Being serious for a moment though, what is the largest you've seen in a tank? Tangs, for example, will very often seem to be limited in growth potential by the tank. Angelfish... not so much. Wrasse?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being serious for a moment though, what is the largest you've seen in a tank? Tangs, for example, will very often seem to be limited in growth potential by the tank. Angelfish... not so much. Wrasse?
Sanjay has a lennardi in his tank that's nearly a foot, if not already, transitioned to male, and a bit of a bully. It's pretty much a monster fish.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! Not only a gorgeous fish but I'll be forced to upgrade the tank in the future! I'm already making plans and hoping my girlfriend doesn't read this... ;)
Perfect excuse.... oh honey he’s outgrown his house, he looks so cramped up...we need to get him a bigger one

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanjay has a lennardi in his tank that's nearly a foot, if not already, transitioned to male, and a bit of a bully. It's pretty much a monster fish.
That's an exception though. I'm not aware of anyone else with a Lennardi getting anywhere close to that size or even transitioning?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an exception though. I'm not aware of anyone else with a Lennardi getting anywhere close to that size or even transitioning?
But I'm not really aware of anyone else being successful with the species for that long of a period either.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What food are you feeding the feminius and how many times a day?
The tank has live codepods added regularly and daily feeding includes frozen codepods, mysis, Masstick with Hikari S in it and a variety of pellets along with Vitalis Marine Grazer.

The Femininus is enthusiastic with mysis (PE) and would probably grab it out of my hand as she nearly comes out of the water at feeding time. It looks like she also takes the codepods and is always grazing the rocks and sand. She hasn't taken the Masstick yet (unlike the Lennardi, who loves it) and she hasn't taken pellet yet.

I'm just approaching the end of my fourth week with the Femininus and Lennardi in the tank and I have been feeding quite heavily (I would guess about two-thirds of a frozen codepods cube, two mysis cubes and a couple of chunks of PE Mysis each day along with one autofeed for assorted pellets and another for Hikari S, plus some Masstick and sometimes Marine Grazer. I have a lot of fish in the tank so it's not just for the Femininus!

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has live codepods added regularly and daily feeding includes frozen codepods, mysis, Masstick with Hikari S in it and a variety of pellets along with Vitalis Marine Grazer.

The Femininus is enthusiastic with mysis (PE) and would probably grab it out of my hand as she nearly comes out of the water at feeding time. It looks like she also takes the codepods and is always grazing the rocks and sand. She hasn't taken the Masstick yet (unlike the Lennardi, who loves it) and she hasn't taken pellet yet.

I'm just approaching the end of my fourth week with the Femininus and Lennardi in the tank and I have been feeding quite heavily (I would guess about two-thirds of a frozen codepods cube, two mysis cubes and a couple of chunks of PE Mysis each day along with one autofeed for assorted pellets and another for Hikari S, plus some Masstick and sometimes Marine Grazer. I have a lot of fish in the tank so it's not just for the Femininus!

Thank you for the valuable info :) and what if you tried soaking the masstick in the thawed frozen mysis water?

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the valuable info :) and what if you tried soaking the masstick in the thawed frozen mysis water?
I haven't tried that. I expect she will get it eventually. She keeps having a look but simply hasn't taken a mouthful yet. She sees all the other fish going crazy and I think it's must a matter of time.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep trying to get these home but they are wierd about a 25g goldfish bowl and bubbler on the 15hr flight.

_SWC7409-2.jpg
Because they produce too much ammonia in that time. They would be better if they were shipped in an airtight bag. That way their CO2 can't escape, so the ph gets lowered, which in turn renders the ammonia nontoxic until the bag is opened. If you can match salinity they can be pulled out of the shipping water before the ammonia does any significant damage.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they produce too much ammonia in that time. They would be better if they were shipped in an airtight bag. That way their CO2 can't escape, so the ph gets lowered, which in turn renders the ammonia nontoxic until the bag is opened. If you can match salinity they can be pulled out of the shipping water before the ammonia does any significant damage.
Either that or AmQuel or Ammo-Lock

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back