The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Gakaii

View Badges
Reaction score
Beautiful! I want to add couple more wrasse to my tank but don't see many fish at LFS anymore in my area. where do you buy your fish?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
I have two Meleagris Leopard, female and juvenile, and one male Black Leopard.Anybody knw if my larger Meleagris Leopard was to turn male, will there be peace between the two male leopard? I don't think they are in the same clade, and don't really look a like at all. Any opinion?

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
In a large enough tank they should be OK. Maybe some initial bickering during the change and afterward for dominance, but my black is the most peaceful of my Leopards. On the other hand my Ornate was a bully and wasn’t happy when my Melagris and Blue star turned. It took awhile in an acclimation box before the aggression subsided down to a little bickering. Hopefully one turns for you...

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
No wonder I mistake it for a Leopard. I did some reading about that fish and this was what I found regarding Halichoeres lapillus by Lemon TeaYK:
Despite looking remarkably similar to Macropharyngodon, it was described in 1947 as Halichoeres lapillus. Randall later revised Macropharyngodon in 1978, but failed to find any of the diagnostic pharyngeal teeth in H. lapillus. The species therefore remained in Halichoeres

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
No wonder I mistake it for a Leopard. I did some reading about that fish and this was what I found regarding Halichoeres lapillus by Lemon TeaYK:

They act very much like a leopard wrasse too.

There has been a lot of progress in phylogenetics since Randall's revision in 1978 (if the field even existed then), so expect them to be reclassified sometime.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Moved my Melanurus over from the 20 holding tank to my 40 breeder today. First thing the lil prick did was eat all my feather dusters! Oh well, I still like him!

DSCN0332.JPG
My Melanurus is one of my favorite fish

https://www.omegasea.net/

Demmelition4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Demmelition4 ,
How are your Lennardi? Hope they come out for you. Looking at the crush corals you have for substrates, I would think that they are too coarse for sand sleeping wrasses (IMO only).
It has to be dead, havent seen it in forever.

My sand is the special grade caribsea. All my other sand sleeping wrasses are perfectly good though.

Kyl

Money money money money money money money
View Badges
Reaction score
Screenshot_20200323-182446_Google.jpg

Theres a good comparison photo if it helps, it seems to be the main difference is the position of the mouth, in the blenny its underneath the snout while in the wrasse the mouth is aligned with the snout

Screenshot_20200323-182403_Google.jpg
Nature never ceases to amaze.

evolved

The Wrasse Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
I know, it’s inexplicable, the other Fem has taken flight and buried itself (hopefully ok), I don’t understand why the Feminus though, a reminder that any fish can go rogue, i can only put it down to grumpy old fish syndrome.. I’m faced with a difficult decision now, I’ve stressed the whole tank out now trying to catch the thing, I may just have to let nature take its course or risk my other fish... I’ll try the trap tomorrow when they have chilled out over night....
It's quite possible just a case of mistaken identity; the femininus may appear as a rival cleaner to the cleaner wrasse.
Most wrasses live for aprox 5-7 years for me....for some reason this guy only lasted about 3, but it did grow quickly from a 1”juvi.
It's definitely genus dependent. Paracheilinus do have a shorter life span than that; the 3-4 year mark is about it.
I have two Meleagris Leopard, female and juvenile, and one male Black Leopard.Anybody knw if my larger Meleagris Leopard was to turn male, will there be peace between the two male leopard? I don't think they are in the same clade, and don't really look a like at all. Any opinion?

Tricky question... The tank space works in your favor for sure, but some Macropharyngodon males are just belligerent towards other Macropharyngodon males. It's definitely a "cross your fingers" type of scenario.
Yeah, it's a species with an interesting history. It is much more Macropharyngodon in behavior though. The thinking is generally that it's an ancestral branch point for Halichoeres.

Reef Pro Corals

Have you accomplished something in reefing that someone else said wouldn't work?

• Yes and it was... (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • I tried but they were right....(tell us in the thread)

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • I didn't try it...(what was it?)

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 5 6.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors