The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can anybody not love this Diamond Tail Flasher? He is not anywhere near fully develop yet, still he is a beauty. These are the changes over the last 2 months from 2/16 to 4/16/2020

2/16/2020
P attenuatus2020021609S.jpg

4/16/2020
P attenuatus2020041602L.jpg

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for the wrasse experts.
Current tank- 120 gal display with 40 gal sump/refugium. Established and doing well.
Current stocking-- pair of Perc clowns (small), Yellow watchman goby, Orange spot Goby, pair of purple Firefish, Midas blenny, Blue-green chromis, Royal Gramma, small Yellow-eyed Kole Tang. All inhabitants are healthy and getting along well. I have a red skunk cleaner shrimp and some hermits in the tank for inverts.

I am having an overgrowth/outbreak of the harmless brown flatworms and was thinking of adding a wrasse for this (and as a future pest control solution). I had read the Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) would be a good choice. The other wrasse I really like would be an Exquisite Fairy Wrasse- (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus)- but not sure if they eat flatworms?

The only other fish I want to add is a mandarin green dragonet down the road.

What do you think-- given current stock list (and wanting to add a mandarin dragonet as well later)-- which one would be better pest control and get along well with rest of my tank-mates?
Thank you.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think-- given current stock list (and wanting to add a mandarin dragonet as well later)-- which one would be better pest control and get along well with rest of my tank-mates?
Thank you.
Unfortunately, there isn't one. Any genus which will target those flatworms (Cirrhilabrus will not) will also target pods, hence out-competing a mandarin.

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Listen to the experts like evolved ^ above. Randomly I too have a 120 DT. I have all three of the fish you are speaking about. Melanurus wrasse is one of my favorite fish and is a beast of a hunter for pests (Unfortunately pods are included in that category). Make sure you just keep your sump full of pods and your future mandarin will be fine.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for the wrasse experts.
Current tank- 120 gal display with 40 gal sump/refugium. Established and doing well.
Current stocking-- pair of Perc clowns (small), Yellow watchman goby, Orange spot Goby, pair of purple Firefish, Midas blenny, Blue-green chromis, Royal Gramma, small Yellow-eyed Kole Tang. All inhabitants are healthy and getting along well. I have a red skunk cleaner shrimp and some hermits in the tank for inverts.

I am having an overgrowth/outbreak of the harmless brown flatworms and was thinking of adding a wrasse for this (and as a future pest control solution). I had read the Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) would be a good choice. The other wrasse I really like would be an Exquisite Fairy Wrasse- (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus)- but not sure if they eat flatworms?

The only other fish I want to add is a mandarin green dragonet down the road.

Thank you.
Supposedly chrysiptera cf. Springeri will eat those flatworms and mine never seem to actively graze the rockwork for pods, which may work as an alternative.
Theres also those blue velvet nudibranchs which eat only flatworms.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with the Pacific Peppermint Hogfish? Is it a very aggressive species?

Also..... what have you found to be a “jump proof” method to keep Wrasses in the tank? My tank will not be using mesh but an acrylic lid instead.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with the Pacific Peppermint Hogfish? Is it a very aggressive species?

Also..... what have you found to be a “jump proof” method to keep Wrasses in the tank? My tank will not be using mesh but an acrylic lid instead.

I don't have any experience with that hogfish but I'm interested to hear the responses.

There really isn't any fool proof method to 100% keep wrasses from jumping. They are prolific jumpers. A tight lid with no openings is your best defense. I would highly recommend avoiding the solid acrylic lid and going with a 1/4 or 1/8" mesh lid. Wrasses frequently get spinal injuries from their jumping attempts when encountering solid surfaces. With a mesh cover the chance of injury is extremely low IME. Artfully Acrylic and Octo Aquatics as well as some others offer very attractive versions.

That said, be careful when the tops are off for maintenance or feeding. No too long ago my prized P. attenuatus jumped during a feeding frenzy and landed in a place I couldn't get to in time to save him!

Drew Hitt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a model citizen not aggressive just curious, eats well and very healthy. I use glass lids not sure if that is the best but I have never had an injury due to jumping and hitting it. I’m not saying it can’t or doesn’t I just never have experienced that.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking maximum precautions against jumping. I’m eyeing the Red Striped Hogfish. Not sure how well it’ll get along with its tankmates though.

-YT or a Bristletooth Tang

-Comet

-One Spot Foxface

-2 Ocellaris Clowns

-2 Flame Hawks

-3 PJs

Heard Bodianus can be bullies but hope it won’t be too bad if I add it as my last fish.

Back