The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

tp5056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Soo ... I'm thinking of upgrading from a 120 to 200 cube ...

Only hesitation is catching fish ... I'm the worst at it and wrasses are even a bigger PITA with the sand ...

Anyone have any tips to make this easier? I almost quit once because of I couldn't catch a red coris wrasse (would flip all my corals over and crushed all my clean up crew.)

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded to a 310 from a 180 I lowered the water level in the tank to four inches and then started removing sand with a flat plastic container until I got my Leopard Wrasses out. I probably had 50% of the sand removed before I got both out.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a new wrasse I use to have a silver belly wrasse and a six line but both died in my tank disaster.

Most fairy/flasher wrasse are easy, the key is to qt them, get them eating and deworming them (praziquantel). Once they are established they are pretty hardy.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded to a 310 from a 180 I lowered the water level in the tank to four inches and then started removing sand with a flat plastic container until I got my Leopard Wrasses out. I probably had 50% of the sand removed before I got both out.
Agree - I don't even worry about trying until there's just a few inches of water left in the tank.

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need at least 1 female wrasse in the tank to witness the flashing of the males? And don’t most of them end up turning male anyway?

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need at least 1 female wrasse in the tank to witness the flashing of the males? And don’t most of them end up turning male anyway?
Other males of different species works. The female will most likely turn male anyways, like you said.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male wrasses of the more aggressive species will flashes at other fishes like angels and tangs. Most of the Fairy and Flasher wrasses will display against females or rival males.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is genus Bodianus (the ones in question are Pacific Peppermint and Yellow Candy) good for a community tank with a Foxface, Yellow Tang, Pajama Cardinals, Blue Throat Trigger, Clown pair, maybe Marine Betta and angelfish / Bannerfish? Don’t want to put a Terror in my tank but these two are beautiful fish.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is genus Bodianus (the ones in question are Pacific Peppermint and Yellow Candy) good for a community tank with a Foxface, Yellow Tang, Pajama Cardinals, Blue Throat Trigger, Clown pair, maybe Marine Betta and angelfish / Bannerfish? Don’t want to put a Terror in my tank but these two are beautiful fish.
Typically, bodianus = jerk
Mixing two species of the genus is not a good idea.
A single species in a mix like the above could be okay, but it might harass some of the smaller fish.

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does your Foxface nip at your corals at all? Was looking at this one but afraid he’ll tear my corals all up.

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine. Eats out of my hand and gets along with everyone.

C94BB9FB-8DB9-4BF4-AF89-6633F7EC5B48.jpeg

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - I currently have a juvenile harlequin tusk wrasse (about 4-inches) in my 100g and I’m getting a juvenile Dragon Wrasse in a few days. To QT my DW, do I need sand, since they like to hide/sleep in sand? Will the DW and HTW play nice with each other?
How are the Tusk and the Dragon getting along? I plan on adding these 2 to my 125 but concerned with the Tusk going after the Dragon.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my Diamond Tail on Tuesday. Found him yesterday. He ran the tank, flashing like no tomorrow but I never lost another wrasse. So although he was tough, he didn't kill anything. I am guessing my Flame or Eightline will become king? Hopefully everyone will stay neutral. Yesterday was the first day I saw my Eightline flash and swim the entire tank, until he bumped into the Flame, and then he did a U turn. I ordered the DT as a juvenile but LA sent me this beautiful Flashing male. If I get another, it will definitely be a very small one, so I can enjoy it longer.
Day one May 14th, 2019
Diamond 5-14-19.JPG

Last Month
all fish but one 4-4-20.jpg

DT 2-6-20.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back