Better picture of my Baby Diamond Tail Flasher
p-attenuatus2020040408l-jpg.1505066

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wonder I mistake it for a Leopard. I did some reading about that fish and this was what I found regarding Halichoeres lapillus by Lemon TeaYK:
Despite looking remarkably similar to Macropharyngodon, it was described in 1947 as Halichoeres lapillus. Randall later revised Macropharyngodon in 1978, but failed to find any of the diagnostic pharyngeal teeth in H. lapillus. The species therefore remained in Halichoeres

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wonder I mistake it for a Leopard. I did some reading about that fish and this was what I found regarding Halichoeres lapillus by Lemon TeaYK:

They act very much like a leopard wrasse too.

There has been a lot of progress in phylogenetics since Randall's revision in 1978 (if the field even existed then), so expect them to be reclassified sometime.

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved my Melanurus over from the 20 holding tank to my 40 breeder today. First thing the lil prick did was eat all my feather dusters! Oh well, I still like him!

DSCN0332.JPG
My Melanurus is one of my favorite fish

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Demmelition4 ,
How are your Lennardi? Hope they come out for you. Looking at the crush corals you have for substrates, I would think that they are too coarse for sand sleeping wrasses (IMO only).

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@Demmelition4 ,
How are your Lennardi? Hope they come out for you. Looking at the crush corals you have for substrates, I would think that they are too coarse for sand sleeping wrasses (IMO only).
It has to be dead, havent seen it in forever.

My sand is the special grade caribsea. All my other sand sleeping wrasses are perfectly good though.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200323-182446_Google.jpg

Theres a good comparison photo if it helps, it seems to be the main difference is the position of the mouth, in the blenny its underneath the snout while in the wrasse the mouth is aligned with the snout

Screenshot_20200323-182403_Google.jpg
Nature never ceases to amaze.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, it’s inexplicable, the other Fem has taken flight and buried itself (hopefully ok), I don’t understand why the Feminus though, a reminder that any fish can go rogue, i can only put it down to grumpy old fish syndrome.. I’m faced with a difficult decision now, I’ve stressed the whole tank out now trying to catch the thing, I may just have to let nature take its course or risk my other fish... I’ll try the trap tomorrow when they have chilled out over night....
It's quite possible just a case of mistaken identity; the femininus may appear as a rival cleaner to the cleaner wrasse.
Most wrasses live for aprox 5-7 years for me....for some reason this guy only lasted about 3, but it did grow quickly from a 1”juvi.
It's definitely genus dependent. Paracheilinus do have a shorter life span than that; the 3-4 year mark is about it.
I have two Meleagris Leopard, female and juvenile, and one male Black Leopard.Anybody knw if my larger Meleagris Leopard was to turn male, will there be peace between the two male leopard? I don't think they are in the same clade, and don't really look a like at all. Any opinion?

meleagrisleopard2020040501b-jpg.1506415

blackleopardwrasse2020040401male-jpg.1505073
Tricky question... The tank space works in your favor for sure, but some Macropharyngodon males are just belligerent towards other Macropharyngodon males. It's definitely a "cross your fingers" type of scenario.
Yeah, it's a species with an interesting history. It is much more Macropharyngodon in behavior though. The thinking is generally that it's an ancestral branch point for Halichoeres.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifespans aren't really studied or known all that well.
What’s the expected lifespan of some of the smaller Halichoeres wrasses?
More like in the 7-8 range; maybe up to 10.
What about the Lined (4, Mystery, 6, and 8) wrasses
Similar there, in the 7-8 range.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lubbocki has started hiding in the rocks almost constantly only poking out for brief seconds while I'm feeding. I thought'd I lost him earlier this week because I hadn't seen him in days. Would this be a sign of old age or something else? I've had him for ~4yrs.

Last pic I have of him. ~2 weeks ago, he looked fine:
DSC_9870.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back