The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Diamond Tail pair. Both was just over and under 1 inch in Feb of this year. Now the male is about 2.5 inches and the female pushing 2 inches. They spawned regularly. The male in full display, full of colors and fins, swimming around and around her. Both dart up the water about 6-10 inches then dive down. I have not see them release eggs and sperms yet, but that activity cannot be anything but spawn ritual.
The male started to change sex as soon as a larger male was removed from QT (went to a friend of mine). The dorsal ray elongated within a few days of removal of the larger male. He was only about 1.25 inch at the time. He is able to suppressed sex change of the female in my aquarium of 320 gal since 2/2020.
Here are a few pictures today. They swim very fast and it is hard to take good pictures.
P attenuatus2020061401.jpg
P attenuatus2020061402.jpg
P attenuatus2020061403.jpg
P attenuatus2020061404.jpg
P attenuatus2020061405.jpg
P attenuatus2020061406.jpg
P attenuatus2020061407.jpg
P attenuatus2020061408.jpg

I love your photos! I also need a 300g cuz I need more wrasse in my life :)

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1592871935230.jpeg

Anyone have any experience with the Gold Stripe Wrasse (Halichoerces Zeylonicus)? I have one coming Wednesday and he will be joining my Melanurus (Halichoeres melanurus), Exquisite (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus), Bluehead (Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura), Pink Margin (Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus), and Yellow Tail Tamarin (Anampses Meleagrides) in my 120. Thanks in advance!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Tail Tamarin is doing well in QT. I got her 6/3 and she is now eating various frozen foods. Today in 6 small feedings she ate a whole cube of Hikari mysis. Please excuse the dirty tank....I don't clean glass or other surfaces in QT, especially a difficult species. If you listen closely you can hear the click this species makes when feeding (inhaling food quickly).

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Tail Tamarin is doing well in QT. I got her 6/3 and she is now eating various frozen foods. Today in 6 small feedings she ate a whole cube of Hikari mysis. Please excuse the dirty tank....I don't clean glass or other surfaces in QT, especially a difficult species. If you listen closely you can hear the click this species makes when feeding (inhaling food quickly).

bummer won’t play. It might be because I’m using an iPhone. Sometimes this site doesn't like iPhones

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bummer won’t play. It might be because I’m using an iPhone. Sometimes this site doesn't like iPhones

Must be..it is working for me on my PC. It may be because I directly uploaded it instead of using Youtube. I only do that for short videos (less than 30-40 seconds).

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1592871935230.jpeg

Anyone have any experience with the Gold Stripe Wrasse (Halichoerces Zeylonicus)? I have one coming Wednesday and he will be joining my Melanurus (Halichoeres melanurus), Exquisite (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus), Bluehead (Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura), Pink Margin (Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus), and Yellow Tail Tamarin (Anampses Meleagrides) in my 120. Thanks in advance!

It's a big species; nearly 8" at maturity. It will be a motile invert muncher, when it gets larger, and may bully some of those smaller species.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can hear the click this species makes when feeding (inhaling food quickly)
It's literally the teeth/jaws snapping together, to crush food. All Anampses do it. :)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, quick question.

I have a blue flasher and yellowfin fairy, all went well for a couple of months until recently. The tank's a 50 gallon, got the flasher first and added the fairy about a month later. Lately the fairy wrasse started getting a lot more dominant and bullying the flasher. It doesn't bother him too much, as he's still very active and eating like a pig, however he is missing some scales as a result.

Because he's a bit timid and doesn't fight back I can imagine it not ending too well for the flasher in the long run. Removing one of them solves the problem entirely of course, but I like them both so I'd rather not do that. Would adding another fairy or wrasse help?
I imagine it'd distract the dominant fairy a bit so he won't primarily focus on the blue flasher anymore.

Of course, if that won't solve anything I will remove one of them.
I think this one went unanswered from a while back.

Adding more flashers of different species could help, as it would dilute the attention.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's literally the teeth/jaws snapping together, to crush food. All Anampses do it. :)
That they do. They My China wrasse make popping sound when they hunt, every time they peck at something.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! With color like that I’ll gladly replenish my inverts every now and again. Appreciate ya Hunter!

Good luck with him. My Earmuff has been great for years but in the last 6 months he's become a snail assassin! He's just a touch over 6".

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Anyone have any experience with their wrasse having lock jaw?
I have a melanarus wrasse that has been swimming around with his mouth open for several days. He seems to be able to ingest some food. He also seems to be breathing heavier than normal and takes several breaks laying on the sand.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Anyone have any experience with their wrasse having lock jaw?
I have a melanarus wrasse that has been swimming around with his mouth open for several days. He seems to be able to ingest some food. He also seems to be breathing heavier than normal and takes several breaks laying on the sand.
Certainly the sign of an issue - do you have any photos?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a broken jaw. Unfortunately, the resting on the sand is also not a promising sign.

Treatment in a hospital tank with antibiotics might be the best chance.

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a broken jaw. Unfortunately, the resting on the sand is also not a promising sign.

Treatment in a hospital tank with antibiotics might be the best chance.
Darn! That's what I was afraid of. I've had him for 4 years and got him as a female/juv. :(

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back