The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with him. My Earmuff has been great for years but in the last 6 months he's become a snail assassin! He's just a touch over 6".
Love earmuff wrasses! If my newcomer is going to follow suit, he has to wait in line behind my Melanurus Wrasse, Blue Throat Trigger, and Elegance coral. Escargot is always on the menu. ;)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a photobomb earlier, I had the camera set for corals so couldn't freeze it, why would you buy a yellow wrasse?! ;)

DSC_0005 (1024x683).jpg

Mark Nicoletti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon reef tank with a couple of clowns, blue hippo tang, Kole tang, orange shoulder tang, and a watchman goby. I am very interested in adding some reef safe wrasse, but after reading posts in this forum for the better part of the day, I'm just a bit confused. Can someone give me a list of five or six wrasse that I can put into my tank please?

Todd1white

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon reef tank with a couple of clowns, blue hippo tang, Kole tang, orange shoulder tang, and a watchman goby. I am very interested in adding some reef safe wrasse, but after reading posts in this forum for the better part of the day, I'm just a bit confused. Can someone give me a list of five or six wrasse that I can put into my tank please?
The 5 I have and the order I added them:
Flame
Lineatus
Ruby Head
Pintail
Feminus
They’re all very mellow and usually hang out together. The Feminus is my current favorite
F3CF746D-A91F-45C4-8E05-3D2A4847D578.jpeg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The possibilities are almost endless. In a tank that size you could have a number of fairy or flasher wrasses. Almost any flashers will mix ok but if you want an 8 line flasher add it last due to it's larger size and fairy wrasse like disposition.

For fairy wrasses, read (and use the included chart) to pick compatible fairy wrasses. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

Certain Halichoeres wrasses should be reef safe(H. iridis, H. chrysus, H. biocellatus)...this genus requires a sand bed.

Leopard wrasses are good choices (also require a sand bed). They can be a little difficult to get eating but once that's accomplished they can be very hardy.

I'm sure some our wrasse experts would be happy to answer any specific questions!

Wrasse trio (1 of 1) (2).jpg

Potter's leopard wrasse, Flame wrasse (fairy) and Labout's wrasse (fairy) just to get some thoughts going.

Roman009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say lunare, do you mean Thalassoma lunare? Trouble is brewing, if so.

thought I’d try for advise on this thread...

I kinda think most of us can think back to a singular fish or coral that piqued our interest in this hobby. I have 2: Huma Triggers and Thalassoma Wrasses. The wrasses are fantastically exotic to me - and I’ve wanted them for as long as I can remember. Never felt I could care for them properly before. Now I’m ready. So here’s my situation:

220g 6’ FOWLR tank
Currently swimming: about a dozen Butterflies, Huma and Niger Trigger, Bird Wrasse, Maroon Clown (nastiest fish in the tank), yellow tang, scopas tang, striped bristletooth, and a valentini puffer. Now I want to finish off the stocking with multiple Thalassoma.

I just added my first, a 2” Bluehead wrasse. Adjusted easily. No issues.

I want them all, Hardwicke, Goldbar, Saddle, Paddlefin, Banana, Pinkface, and yes, the Lunare.

1 - Is it best to add them all at the same time? Can they even be mixed together?
2- Will I be able to add anything else after they go in? The only thought would be a large Angel. Only a thought.
3- Does this have disaster written all over it? I have no experience with them and know they are aggressive. I’m thinking/hoping that this tank size and the current occupants are my best chance. Everyone gets along well in my tank. I’d hate to throw that off, but as I mentioned, I’ve wanted them forever.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought I’d try for advise on this thread...

I kinda think most of us can think back to a singular fish or coral that piqued our interest in this hobby. I have 2: Huma Triggers and Thalassoma Wrasses. The wrasses are fantastically exotic to me - and I’ve wanted them for as long as I can remember. Never felt I could care for them properly before. Now I’m ready. So here’s my situation:

220g 6’ FOWLR tank
Currently swimming: about a dozen Butterflies, Huma and Niger Trigger, Bird Wrasse, Maroon Clown (nastiest fish in the tank), yellow tang, scopas tang, striped bristletooth, and a valentini puffer. Now I want to finish off the stocking with multiple Thalassoma.

I just added my first, a 2” Bluehead wrasse. Adjusted easily. No issues.

I want them all, Hardwicke, Goldbar, Saddle, Paddlefin, Banana, Pinkface, and yes, the Lunare.

1 - Is it best to add them all at the same time? Can they even be mixed together?
2- Will I be able to add anything else after they go in? The only thought would be a large Angel. Only a thought.
3- Does this have disaster written all over it? I have no experience with them and know they are aggressive. I’m thinking/hoping that this tank size and the current occupants are my best chance. Everyone gets along well in my tank. I’d hate to throw that off, but as I mentioned, I’ve wanted them forever.
Thalassoma species don't really mix well. You might find some combinations that might work for a while, but going out on this limb is highly likely to be a disaster, I'm afraid to say.

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soon, he'll either just eat them, or remove their eyes...

Thalassoma species only belong in large, aggressive species only, swim tanks.
I tried to catch him. It was a disaster. We were regroup ing for a few days when the sailfin started chasing him....he seems to have chilled out, he isn't chasing, or if he tries it isn't working, the tangs are finned out and he leaves. So far no one has lost an eye (thank Goodness). I know it's a risk and I am grateful for your experience and expertise. I will keep updating. With the last resort of removing him. ( I found a red light BRS video, and the lfs said they would take him and re-home him). Adding the tangs and large scribbled rabbit defused aggression thru the whole group. I have a 180 with lots of live rock. They are fed at least 2x a day and there is a population of crabs and snails that I replenish knowing they become a snack often. I hope this is the path to keeping my naughty troublemaker. He really is loved.
In the tank I have:
2 lemon meringue wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 Red clown transitioning wrasse
1 Pintail fairy wrasse
1 Exquisite wrasse
1 halocheres Argus (peacock) wrasse
1 lunaire wrasse
1 large watchman goby (orange spot)
1 reef squirrel fish
1 Coral beauty angel
1 scribbled rabbit fish
1 purple yellow eye kole tang large
1 sailfin tang medium
1 scopas tang medium
1 tiny blue Caribbean tang
1 zebra bar goby large
7 pajama cardinals
The butterfly fish were eating my urchin, when I removed the urchin they wouldn't eat anything so I did lose both of them. No eyes missing or wounds they just developed cryp/ich and gave up.
This is a 2+ year old tank with live sand and more than 100# of live rock.
I also run a protein skimmer, a pellet reactor, a carbon reactor, sock filter, a refugium (small), and a large UV skimmer.
There is a seneye on the tank hooked to both mine and the hubby's phone so we can monitor temp, pH, and ammonia. It has 4 hydra lights.
I hope to add another gyre powerhead.

abreeann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had our orange backed fairy wrasse 3.5mo and he's done well. We recently added a Tomini Tang and China Wrasse. The Orange Back and China have left each other alone as far as I can tell. The China ignores the Orange Back completely. The odd thing I'm curious about is how the Orange Back keeps behaving around the Tomini. He goes over next to the Tomini and has his fins all extending and floats/hovers. He only does this with the tang who is roughly the same size as him. This is some type show boating trying to make himself the boss?

its not letting me attach the video so here's a link to it on YouTube:

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. Not aggressive at all so far for me. Very shy fish. Six lines are wow. Get the pink striped
Im going to be moving my tank in a few days so i will be catching the sixline and throwing it in my sump. Guess ill put it up for adoption on here :) might as well catch it because i will have to drain the tank entirely and remove everything

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back