The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to a 72x24 and yup not done yet lol. They all hang out in a 1’x1’ area anyway.

Not sure how much help I’ll be. Every time I stop at TSM aquatics I tell him Chaoti. After his qt fish can survive almost anything and eat anything. But if I find one and have free time to give it the care it needs I’ll give it a try.

Any secrets getting copper band to eat frozen. Mine is strictly whats live in tank except aiptasia or eats live black worms. It watches others eat and checks out frozen the swims away

I can't take credit for getting the CBB to eat everything. A friend who gave him to me had already trained him to eat pretty much everything except nori. Some will just seem to do it naturally I think and others never do.

I also think with a lot of them competition is a factor. They don't like to compete for food. If you could find something he would eat and teach him to eat it from a net where other fish would not be an issue, you might be able to expand his menu.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't take credit for getting the CBB to eat everything. A friend who gave him to me had already trained him to eat pretty much everything except nori. Some will just seem to do it naturally I think and others never do.

I also think with a lot of them competition is a factor. They don't like to compete for food. If you could find something he would eat and teach him to eat it from a net where other fish would not be an issue, you might be able to expand his menu.
Thanks. Had CBB in a 20 gallon with a 1” filefish and still nothing. When I added a very small Rhomboid the CBB started to show interest then nothing. I think you are correct saying some will and some won’t. I’ll try again down the road but for now it’s happy and healthy

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1607477354888.png

TSM Aquatics has A. Lennardi on pre-order... who’s getting one??? @Crabby48 ? I can only wish ;Drool

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most are leopards and fairy. Only have one Filamented flasher she would follow him flashing. Thinking Filamented being so much smaller may be part of the problem.
I do have to stay out of his sight or he will never flash.

Open to recommendations of flashers that will make him the star. Diamond tail is my favorite but similar in color so idk.
Ever think of adding some females for him to flash for?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1607477354888.png

TSM Aquatics has A. Lennardi on pre-order... who’s getting one??? @Crabby48 ? I can only wish ;Drool
I wish!! I can’t afford getting my new tank finished. Such bad timing Thanks for the heads up. Someone better get one

Ever think of adding some females for him to flash for?
He has one female flasher for now. Last night every time he grabbed food he flashed quick. Hopefully he has a long fuse and will go off soon

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 3+ year old melanurus wrasse. I love the way he circles checking out and inspecting new corals I place in the tank. He's also an absolute pig! Super active fish, definitely one of my favorites.
Nice looking Mel! He looks fat and healthy!

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish!! I can’t afford getting my new tank finished. Such bad timing Thanks for the heads up. Someone better get one

He has one female flasher for now. Last night every time he grabbed food he flashed quick. Hopefully he has a long fuse and will go off soon
Maybe getting another might help.. or a similar flasher wrasse species.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe getting another might help.. or a similar flasher wrasse species.
My plans are a couple more. 9 wrasse and total of 15 fish in a 90 gallon. Don’t want to risk adding more right now.
other issue wrasse transition fast for me so I’ll have all males fairly quick

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Radiant wrasse today. I got her after Thanksgiving. She was thin, a little sick and have some white spots on her, however she was eating aggressively so I put her directly into my DT. I am condition a Melanurus Wrasse in my QT for my office tank so I did not put her in the QT like I normally do for new fishes.
Here she is, about two weeks later. All well and is gaining weight as she should. I am not sure why Radiant wrasse are not as polupar as they should. IMO they are the most beautiful, certainly most unique, of the Halichoeres wrasse.
radiantwrasse2020120901-jpg.1920614

radiantwrasse2020120902-jpg.1920615

radiantwrasse2020120903-jpg.1920616

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Radiant wrasse today. I got her after Thanksgiving. She was thin, a little sick and have some white spots on her, however she was eating aggressively so I put her directly into my DT. I am condition a Melanurus Wrasse in my QT for my office tank so I did not put her in the QT like I normally do for new fishes.
Here she is, about two weeks later. All well and is gaining weight as she should. I am not sure why Radiant wrasse are not as polupar as they should. IMO they are the most beautiful, certainly most unique, of the Halichoeres wrasse.
radiantwrasse2020120901-jpg.1920614

radiantwrasse2020120902-jpg.1920615

radiantwrasse2020120903-jpg.1920616
Beautiful wrasse @OrionN ! One of my favorites.

EliVChalk97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Christmas wrasse the other day, but I can’t find him. I know for sure he hasn’t jumped out. Any tips?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Christmas wrasse the other day, but I can’t find him. I know for sure he hasn’t jumped out. Any tips?
If it didn’t jump, it’s likely buried in your sand. It’ll come out when it’s ready.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back