The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feed them misture of all three and let him eat whatever he like.
I normally do when I feed them myself, but I'd like to setup an auto feeder with pellets. This way I make sure they get multiple feedings each day.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally do when I feed them myself, but I'd like to setup an auto feeder with pellets. This way I make sure they get multiple feedings each day.
When you prepare your mixture try soaking it in Selcon (this is like chumming the water for my wrasses they'll eat anything with Selcon on it) then increase the amount of pellets while decreasing the amount of mysis over the next week or so.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine mixture in the AM. The auto feeder feed them Otohime pellets. IMO, Otohime pellets is a really great food. All the fish eat them. Once they see other fish eat, they will too. My baby leopard wrasse start to eat them in just a few days. My Exquisite gore himself on these pellets.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had 2 yellow coris wrasses die in QT on me so i had given up having one but this local reefer was breaking down his tank and sold me his that he's had for a year so i snatched it up yesterday

he scared me when the lights turned on i didn't see him anywhere then around an hour later he came out he had buried himself under the sand behind a rock and he's been out all day ever since

2020-12-23.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a series of pictures of the mating dance of my Meleagris Leopard pair this evening. The male is in his full nuptial coloration which is slightly distorted due to the blue coloration of the light as the light of the tank dimming down. The Male repeat swimming with his head pointed down. I described the color change of normal color and nuptial color before somewhere, either in my Meleagris Leopard thread or my build thread.
I do love to observe these very peculiar and obscured behavior of fishes. At the very least, it confirm to me that I am provide good care for the animals under my charges.
MeleagrisLeopard2020122601MatingDance.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020122602MatingDance.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020122603MatingDance.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020122604MatingDance.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020122605MatingDance.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020122606MatingDance.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020122607MatingDance.jpg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a series of pictures of the mating dance of my Meleagris Leopard pair this evening.
Great pics! You’ve inspired me to get another Meleagris.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a naoko wrasse. Do they live fine with black leopard wrasse? Also wpuld.getting a female naoko be a good idea to jave w the male?
You probably don’t want two of these wrasse. They can be aggressive. I love mine. My single one display all the time against other fairy and flasher wrasses.

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to buy a female C.Bathyphilus. I currently have 4 other male wrasses in the tank, McCosker, Rubeus, Exquisite, and Orangeback. Will there be any issues and how likely will it be to turn into a male?

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How big is your tank? I would for sure use an acclimation box but I would not foresee any issues. I've had female Cirrhilabrus transition quickly but also take some time. It really depends. On paper, the Rubeus would be the most aggressive in the tank so I would watch him unless you have a more dominate male.

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I would for sure use an acclimation box but I would not foresee any issues. I've had female Cirrhilabrus transition quickly but also take some time. It really depends. On paper, the Rubeus would be the most aggressive in the tank so I would watch him unless you have a more dominate male.
I have a 180g. The Wrasses in there currently are fairly new. Probably about 1 week or so.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 180g. The Wrasses in there currently are fairly new. Probably about 1 week or so.
You should be fine with adding in the female Bathy with an acclimation box. Any issues between the Exquisite and Orangeback? If you haven't already and intend on adding more Cirrhilabrus I would suggest reading @evolved thread and chart.

Good luck!

Bcheek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at maybe picking up a C. Isosceles this weekend, my LFS has one on sale for a pretty good price. I’ve got a 3’ 75g display and the only other wrasse is a juvenile H. Biocellatus. Any concerns? Thanks

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m looking at maybe picking up a C. Isosceles this weekend, my LFS has one on sale for a pretty good price. I’ve got a 3’ 75g display and the only other wrasse is a juvenile H. Biocellatus. Any concerns? Thanks
Shouldn't be an issue

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newest addition to the family! No flavinalis, but a carpenter's wrasse. Arrived to me around 9 pm yesterday and he's already eating and flashing. 20201230_100655.jpg 20201230_101720.jpg
And prepare for the worst pictures in the history of... well pictures :cool: the mccoskeri and blue flasher: 20201230_101233.jpg 20201230_101440.jpg

I'm happy to see the 2 existing wrasses have started flashing like crazy at each other ever since I added their new brother. The mccoskeri only ever flashed at my blennies and completely ignored any other wrasse.

Oh and my god are flashers impossible to take a picture of!!

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, the more I look at my new 'carpenter's' wrasse, the more I believe it might actually be a yellowfin... It has just one, bright red, filament and when flashing has a bright yellow dorsal and anal fin. Tailfin has a slight yellow hue with a purple/blue stripe going from top to bottom in the middle and on the outer edge of the tailfin as well.

Can't say that I'm particularly good at differentiating between various wrasses, just something I noticed. Any thoughts?

Back