The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Potter's wrasse has been slowly losing weight over the last few months and last two nights has been a little lethargic. I found him barely alive on the bottom this morning just after lights on. One of my all time favorite fish! I will miss him!
First picture is in QT June, 2014, the second a few months later and the last 3 years ago. The Labout's behind him has only been in the tank a few months less. Is this "old age", is it a normal life expectancy for the Potter's ? @evolved , @eatbreakfast

Potter's wrasse2 (1 of 1).jpg

Potters1 (1 of 1).jpg

Wrasse trio (1 of 1) (2).jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope not. I really love my Leopards. All of mine were small juveniles when I got them. Now, two are full grown males, a Meleagris Leopard and a Black Leopard, the rest are females or juveniles. I hope mine will live more than 6 years.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Potter's wrasse has been slowly losing weight over the last few months and last two nights has been a little lethargic. I found him barely alive on the bottom this morning just after lights on. One of my all time favorite fish! I will miss him!
First picture is in QT June, 2014, the second a few months later and the last 3 years ago. The Labout's behind him has only been in the tank a few months less. Is this "old age", is it a normal life expectancy for the Potter's ?
He was a beauty!

Hope one or both of the experts weighs in, but here's a past post from Evolved stating 8-10 yrs.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me to the list of official Wrasse Lovers! I added my first wrasse a few days ago and in a few short days, he's quickly become my new favorite fish.
Its a Flasher Wrasse, that I'm sure, but not exactly sure which one. I'm guessing either a Mccosker or Carpenter... An ID would be great, but it looks like the wrasse ID thread has been closed. Hoping someone here can positivelyID this one for me.

20210111_203023.jpg
20210111_202818.jpg
20210109_225113.jpg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me to the list of official Wrasse Lovers! I added my first wrasse a few days ago and in a few short days, he's quickly become my new favorite fish.
Its a Flasher Wrasse, that I'm sure, but not exactly sure which one. I'm guessing either a Mccosker or Carpenter... An ID would be great, but it looks like the wrasse ID thread has been closed. Hoping someone here can positivelyID this one for me.
You have a Carpenter's (paracheilinus carpenteri). He's a nice one!
Welcome to the wrasse addiction... you won't be able to stop at just one ;)

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a Carpenter's (paracheilinus carpenteri). He's a nice one!
Welcome to the wrasse addiction... you won't be able to stop at just one ;)

Awesome. Thanks so much for the ID.
He seems much happier now that he's in the DT. He seemed stressed while in QT.
I'm thinking not having any sand/rock in there might have been the issue. He never really colored up much while in QT, he stayed a dull rusty red brown color. But just two days in the DT, his appearance has gotten much better. He now seems happy, and has quite the appetite. I love how he cruises around the whole tank looking for food. The little guy eats non-stop, like he thinks he should be a 1200 lb tuna! He has not turned any food options down yet, so he's liking what's been on the menu so far.

I love how active he is.... although it doesn't make taking their picture any easier.... I probably deleted 50 shots while only managing to capture a few in focus. Gonna have to work on that! Its hard to get a good pic with his fins out.
Its only been a few days, but I have not really seen him flash at all. I was hoping he would flash at his reflection or possibly one of my other fish, but so far he hasn't.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks so much for the ID.
He seems much happier now that he's in the DT. He seemed stressed while in QT.
I'm thinking not having any sand/rock in there might have been the issue. He never really colored up much while in QT, he stayed a dull rusty red brown color. But just two days in the DT, his appearance has gotten much better. He now seems happy, and has quite the appetite. I love how he cruises around the whole tank looking for food. The little guy eats non-stop, like he thinks he should be a 1200 lb tuna! He has not turned any food options down yet, so he's liking what's been on the menu so far.

I love how active he is.... although it doesn't make taking their picture any easier.... I probably deleted 50 shots while only managing to capture a few in focus. Gonna have to work on that! Its hard to get a good pic with his fins out.
Its only been a few days, but I have not really seen him flash at all. I was hoping he would flash at his reflection or possibly one of my other fish, but so far he hasn't.
As he becomes more confident in your tank he'll likely start flashing at some of your other fish. You can also add another species of flasher wrasse, just make sure to use a social acclimation box when you introduce new wrasses to your existing ones.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help me ID this Hogfish and tell me more about it? Temperament, size etc.

I’m sure it’s not B. Izuensis (though LFS has it listed as such) or B. Masudai. So it should be one of B. Opercularis, B. Neopercularis or B. Sepicaudus?

Attachments

• B4DC6316-4512-46C7-91BF-8BCEA3C41F93.png
    B4DC6316-4512-46C7-91BF-8BCEA3C41F93.png
    513.8 KB · Views: 40

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping some of you wrasse fasnatics might be able to help me out... I recently took delivery of my first wrasses, I'd ordered 2x Halichoeres Chrysus but actually got sent 2x Halichoeres Leucoxanthus. From what I can see, care etc looks identical but is there anything I need to be aware of? 65g mixed reef upgrading to a 160g in the next few months.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re essentially the same fish. Leuxocanthus is the Indian Ocean version of Chrysurus but they have overlapping distributions in the Indo-Pacific I think. My concern would be whether both will turn male over time, and being the same species whether they’d fight. I’m not sure how pairing works for Halichoeres.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please forgive my noob ignorance but, is this an Ornate Leopard Wrasse?

I ask because I just got this fish and, to me, it looks very different than this which is what I expected:
ornate.jpg

Is mine just a juvenile?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please forgive my noob ignorance but, is this an Ornate Leopard Wrasse?

I ask because I just got this fish and, to me, it looks very different than this which is what I expected:
ornate.jpg

Is mine just a juvenile?

You're right to question it because that is not an ornate leopard wrasse; it's a melanurus wrasse.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see LA says melanurus are reef-safe "With Caution" - I've got a reef tank with primarily LPS, a sand star, peppermint shrimp ,various snails....

OK to keep this guy?
He won't bother corals or your sand star, and likely won't bother your peppermint shrimp either, but there is the possibility that he could pick off snails.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back