Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Pencil Wrasse:

Also just got a small one of these (Halichoeres Biocellatus):

1654999350828.png

That’s a beautiful pencil, I assume Pseudojuloides splendens or Pseudojuloides xanthomos. Definitely a male of one of those species (Leaning more towards P. splendens).

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to get a pic of my Vivien and everyone else has to crowd in. I need to get my Nikon and tripod out and take some non-crap phone pics.

20220528_152657.jpg
Vivien!!! Makes my heart melt.

As promised, here’s the large guys! You can also see whose boss of the two Halichoeres, I don’t think anyone would’ve expected this. I’m also pretty certain my melanomarginatus deserves the name of dumbo, I mean look at the size of those fins!
23C84766-67CB-4242-AA4D-9E615C26588B.jpeg

751F3C8D-6CBF-4F2C-BAAC-9D9A1CE9BAE7.jpeg

551BDB57-EB3C-4BB1-AB8E-DA6FB29608ED.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The smaller two are going to be in a later post as lights in the nano aren’t on fully until later.
They are all looking great. Nice collection! Last picture is money shot

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vivien!!! Makes my heart melt.

They are all looking great. Nice collection! Last picture is money shot
Thanks! It’s the one fish I can hardly get a good photo of, I don’t have a clue what I did to persuade him into making that photo but it really is the perfect shot that displays both his colours, and the size of his pectoral fins compared to his head!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It’s the one fish I can hardly get a good photo of, I don’t have a clue what I did to persuade him into making that photo but it really is the perfect shot that displays both his colours, and the size of his pectoral fins compared to his head!
His pectoral fins are huge. Hemi had big ones too but not that big. Makes it cool to watch them swim

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His pectoral fins are huge. Hemi had big ones too but not that big. Makes it cool to watch them swim
Sometimes I do wish he grew more so I could see how much bigger those fins could get. Definitely think Hemis and these guys could compete for fun size if people looked more at the pectoral fins over colour.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I do wish he grew more so I could see how much bigger those fins could get. Definitely think Hemis and these guys could compete for fun size if people looked more at the pectoral fins over colour.
I think it’s color is beautiful. But yes I agree. I hoping the jade says chill to see how it will look when fully matured

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s color is beautiful. But yes I agree. I hoping the jade says chill to see how it will look when fully matured
Well so far that’s showing true, hopefully I can get photos of her transition then have a thread of each phase as very few people own them all the way through to adulthood. Maybe I’ll set up his own tank if he does become aggressive and still be able to document it. Plus, more room for a different style of reef, maybe a gorg heavy similar to the caribbean.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well so far that’s showing true, hopefully I can get photos of her transition then have a thread of each phase as very few people own them all the way through to adulthood. Maybe I’ll set up his own tank if he does become aggressive and still be able to document it. Plus, more room for a different style of reef, maybe a gorg heavy similar to the caribbean.
I think your chance is good with how you went about it. One of the nastiest wrasse I owned turned to be a pintail. We never know.

Sad to say and some already know that I lost most of my wrasse. What was a small ich turned out to be who knows what. Killed them in a week time. Tangs are fine and flame been hanging tough. Last week flame developed a large bump and flesh was being eaten away. Seems it’s improving.
Choats are in my old tank witch is been a holding tank.
Looking back

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your chance is good with how you went about it. One of the nastiest wrasse I owned turned to be a pintail. We never know.

Sad to say and some already know that I lost most of my wrasse. What was a small ich turned out to be who knows what. Killed them in a week time. Tangs are fine and flame been hanging tough. Last week flame developed a large bump and flesh was being eaten away. Seems it’s improving.
Choats are in my old tank witch is been a holding tank.
Looking back

Oh man, look at those dorsal and anal fins. hope that you find another in the future, I’m intrigued to see what wrasses you pick up for sure. Wonder whether you’ll end up with something like a melanomarginatus?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, look at those dorsal and anal fins. hope that you find another in the future, I’m intrigued to see what wrasses you pick up for sure. Wonder whether you’ll end up with something like a melanomarginatus?
I have no clue what I’ll do to restock. Money is a huge problem now so try not to think about it lol. You saw the size of him so you can really understand how big his anal and dorsal are. Maccosker was smaller then Hemi anal fin.
I have connections to get fish at least.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue what I’ll do to restock. Money is a huge problem now so try not to think about it lol. You saw the size of him so you can really understand how big his anal and dorsal are. Maccosker was smaller then Hemi anal fin.
I have connections to get fish at least.
Yeah, Money is often a huge thing in this hobby. Nearly pulled the plug on a Roseafascia at one point and still hoping to eventually have one but definitely not at the minute whilst I have the “aggressive” gang (I would attempt it but I’ll let those guys grow more and wait till I upgrade).

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Money is often a huge thing in this hobby. Nearly pulled the plug on a Roseafascia at one point and still hoping to eventually have one but definitely not at the minute whilst I have the “aggressive” gang (I would attempt it but I’ll let those guys grow more and wait till I upgrade).
What a great fish the Roseafascia is. Being the person looking at your position I wouldn’t want to change the balance with the fish. That can start a big problem. Now you wouldn’t have the fish you do if you didn’t push the “boundaries” lol. But really I think best to leave what you got is my gut feeling

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great fish the Roseafascia is. Being the person looking at your position I wouldn’t want to change the balance with the fish. That can start a big problem. Now you wouldn’t have the fish you do if you didn’t push the “boundaries” lol. But really I think best to leave what you got is my gut feeling
I think the last two I’ll add will be the naokoae and leopard to even out the aggressive vs peaceful however definitely agree with leaving it after that.
Hopefully neither the leopard or naokoae ruin the harmony between the other 5 though.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the last two I’ll add will be the naokoae and leopard to even out the aggressive vs peaceful however definitely agree with leaving it after that.
Hopefully neither the leopard or naokoae ruin the harmony between the other 5 though.
Blue star is in that tank? Naokoae and leopard should fit in nice.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue star is in that tank? Naokoae and leopard should fit in nice.
Neither of them are yet - Blue stars only about an inch, maybe 1.25 inch. The Naokoae is about ready however I’ll try postpone it as long as possible until the Blue Star is ready as I’d rather add both at the same time and not separately. Obviously that may not work and the naoko could stress out sooner however if I spot any signs of that being sue to a small tank I’ll move him over when I can.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of them are yet - Blue stars only about an inch, maybe 1.25 inch. The Naokoae is about ready however I’ll try postpone it as long as possible until the Blue Star is ready as I’d rather add both at the same time and not separately. Obviously that may not work and the naoko could stress out sooner however if I spot any signs of that being sue to a small tank I’ll move him over when I can.
That’s right blue star was small. Sometimes that is a good thing. I had a lot of luck with tiny leopards

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a chance on my second Anampses meleagrides. The first I have had for a few months and is doing well…it’s small about 2”. I had a chance at a second which is much larger and closer to 5”. They are notoriously bad shippers and I have never seen them in this large and survive, but after almost a month it’s eating well and made its way into my grow out frag tank. I think seeing the other has helped it to acclimate and eat better.
4B1E3216-8647-43CF-8915-CF81BA593974.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a chance on my second Anampses meleagrides. The first I have had for a few months and is doing well…it’s small about 2”. I had a chance at a second which is much larger and closer to 5”. They are notoriously bad shippers and I have never seen them in this large and survive, but after almost a month it’s eating well and made its way into my grow out frag tank. I think seeing the other has helped it to acclimate and eat better.
4B1E3216-8647-43CF-8915-CF81BA593974.jpeg
Good luck, hope that you can keep them as a pair and not two males.

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got a gold nugget wrasse and blue flasher recently. Gold nugget is super skittish. I only see it for like a couple hours a day, just enough to feed it tho. Haven't been able to grab any pics yet. I am also getting a choati tomorrow!!! I didn't think I would get one so soon

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back