The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note I lost my second hooded flame. Has been doing great in QT for 8 weeks then MIA all of a sudden. I think I'll wait until TSM gets one in.

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry that always sucks. Makes do have two. The one closest to the body is easiest to see. Did you get it locally
Ah ok. And i guess you could say it was local? The wholesaler is 2 hours away but they dont allow walk-ins so i had to get it shipped
How long did it acclimate for? Do you think you got an ammonia spike after opening the bag? Maybe this species is really sensitive to low levels? Maybe better to match temp and salinity then dump into QT?
Had it acclimating for maybe 4 or 5 hours very slowly. I used to put seachem safe when acclimating but sellers started putting a little bit of copper in the water so yeah. Ammonia and copper dont mix well if you haven't heard yet. Made sure to aerate the bucket and put just enough bag waternto cover it to dilute the ammonia faster

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok. And i guess you could say it was local? The wholesaler is 2 hours away but they dont allow walk-ins so i had to get it shipped

Had it acclimating for maybe 4 or 5 hours very slowly. I used to put seachem safe when acclimating but sellers started putting a little bit of copper in the water so yeah. Ammonia and copper dont mix well if you haven't heard yet. Made sure to aerate the bucket and put just enough bag waternto cover it to dilute the ammonia faster
Oh. If this was a local pickup and didn't spend 12+ hours in a sealed bag then ammonia spike wouldn't be an issue. Too bad. Was a great looking fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Personally I think that’s too long for acclimation. I do both drip and float depending on which tank it goes into and what species it is. My Flashing Tilefish for example was a float and drop to get him settled faster. I have found when I drop fish in the bucket they don’t settle quickly, and can stress more easily. My Black Margin Fairy however, I dripped. There wasn’t much difference except the time taken to get him settled.

The length of time for a drip will vary between 1 hour and 30 minutes depending on the fish species or if I feel it needs longer (I did this with my Discordipinna griessingeri).

Also, Most of my wrasses (The Two Lubbockis, Naokoae, Bipartitus, Iridis, and both Ataenia) were floated them in the tank. It was much less stress and much faster to get over with. It also lessened the amount of jumping as they just went straight down, one or two went behind the rocks but the rest stayed out and explored.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Lubbock's fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki). Not sure if this is male or female, but I'm leaning towards a male based on the coloring.

fairy.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. What's its temperament like?
Surprisingly chill. It cohabitates with 42 other fish (including 5 other wrasses) and can often be found swimming with the yellow coris wrasse, royal gramma or one of the other wrasses. It found this teeny cave under one of my rocks that it's made its evening residence (all you typically see is two tiny eyes peering back out at you).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Lubbock's fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki). Not sure if this is male or female, but I'm leaning towards a male based on the coloring.

fairy.jpg
That my friend is a male Indonesian C. lubbocki, beautiful for sure and extremely peaceful is what I have experienced with the odd flashing here and there.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprisingly chill. It cohabitates with 42 other fish (including 5 other wrasses) and can often be found swimming with the yellow coris wrasse, royal gramma or one of the other wrasses. It found this teeny cave under one of my rocks that it's made its evening residence (all you typically see is two tiny eyes peering back out at you).
He’ll grow fast but they don’t get too big, I think mine is 2 inches currently after about a year. Bought him as a .5” newish male.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple more photos of my 7 wrasses.

Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus - Complex: Scottorum, Aggression: Low to none, usually peacefully gliding across the tank minding his own business.
92893C52-F5DA-45D5-9CD8-D494E4589573.jpeg

5254FC68-7CEE-44CC-A97A-9E60E0FCCE6D.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki “Cebu” - Complex: Lubbocki, Aggression: Low, Usually swimming all around the top to middle water column of the tank.
1129DB83-E7EC-419C-A9A8-611CA646EFDD.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki “Indo” - Complex: Lubbocki, Aggression: Low, Usually swimming throughout the rocks or at the very top of the tank towards the back.
5E1D2FD2-E703-4B67-BD7F-A2B885394E57.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus naokoae - Complex: Rubriventralis, Aggression: Low to nonexistent, Usually minding his own business and swimming throughout the flow.
86DE857D-0FD4-45A8-8F2F-5FCEE77B49B6.jpeg

Halichoeres chloropterus - Aggression: Low, Usually only high when he’s standing up for himself.
C5E035AD-A868-4342-95CF-84C213C70FEA.jpeg

Halichoeres iridis - Aggression: Low to Medium, Usually displaying to the Jade as it swims past, often fighting the clown but I’m pretty sure that’s the clown going at him.
8CDBBB8C-A8E1-4AC6-9C1C-899A3BA85038.jpeg

Macropharyngodon bipartitus - Aggression: Nonexistent, usually calm and swimming around minding her own business.
8E8265C2-B99E-466F-8FED-34A6FAA326F3.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're only missing one wrasse: a Quoy's parrotfish. Mine gets along great with his 6 other smaller 'cousins'.
I’d love a parrot, always wanted a bicolor sue to the juvenile colours but I’ve always passed. Maybe in the future I’ll think about a Quoyi depending on how much I love my coral haha.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love a parrot, always wanted a bicolor sue to the juvenile colours but I’ve always passed. Maybe in the future I’ll think about a Quoyi depending on how much I love my coral haha.
Mine is 100% reef safe. He never goes after the corals, although he does accidentally knock the odd frag off because he can't tell the difference from a frag plug and rock. Quite entertaining to watch - especially when he knaws on the overflow combs and return outlets.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 100% reef safe. He never goes after the corals, although he does accidentally knock the odd frag off because he can't tell the difference from a frag plug and rock. Quite entertaining to watch - especially when he knaws on the overflow combs and return outlets.

I've always wondered why these sold out so fast. I thought they would be coral munchers.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done it again, 3 corals and 1 wrasse. Although not a nano species and it is for my 4’ tank - I have hopes with my guys being peaceful and not a time bomb about to go off. I’ll give the biggest hint of its genus being Paracheilinus.
DC23EF92-0809-4089-9EA3-FE6693227868.jpeg

Hopefully I’ll get photos of him in the tank, I do look forward to him flashing though. They truly transform and I think another wrasse lover got a few photos of theirs flashing.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best photo of him unfortunately… Nobody has actually cared about the fish and are more intrigued in the bag, everyone has stayed at the aggression levels I’ve mentioned above too.
0B723234-7479-4F78-90DD-E74C04FCBF6E.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He went into the tank a few hours ago but refused to allow me to take his photo. He’s vanished now but will attempt another photoshoot tomorrow. I do look forward to seeing him flash as I’ve seen photos of Salty’s flashing!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wondered why these sold out so fast. I thought they would be coral munchers.
Everyone thinks that. They prefer seaweed and grinding coralline algae off anything they can wrap their little beak around. Mine loves PE Mysis, PE Calanus, Hikari Brine, LRS Reef Frenzy and an assortment of pellets (algae pellets are a particular favorite).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone thinks that. They prefer seaweed and grinding coralline algae off anything they can wrap their little beak around. Mine loves PE Mysis, PE Calanus, Hikari Brine, LRS Reef Frenzy and an assortment of pellets (algae pellets are a particular favorite).
Mine would hate my tank haha, I have 2 urchins that destroy coralline and a foxface and bristletooth that will wreck algae along with my 5 old wrasses, can’t say if the Flasher will eat the sheets or not yet.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back