The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Can't think you are very true. Found mine on Live Aquaria....about year ago
My first one was from my LFS and still wonder what I did differently to my second attempt against my first attempt. I managed to keep my first attempt thriving for a year but the second went in and died within a week.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar time frame in my experience. My Cyaneus took a couple days to get comfortable. It tried to come out sooner, but the M. meleagris took too much interest in it. Within a week it was part of the pack though, begging for pellets like the rest of them.
This is great to hear, he did start to come out yesterday but hid in the rocks more than anything.

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I have melanarus.
He seems super chill.
Hes in QT and him, a longnose hawk and naso tang that are all around the same size are super friendly to each other and can be seen in the same hole in a rock that i put in QT.
That being said, could i get another halichoeres genus or too risky?

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 46 gallon mixed Reed aquarium. Current livestock is just a clown a Royal grama and a six spot goby. Any suggestions in a wrasse for my tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 46 gallon mixed Reed aquarium. Current livestock is just a clown a Royal grama and a six spot goby. Any suggestions in a wrasse for my tank?
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki, or actually most from the Lubbocki complex. These will be the most docile species (In my case they’re actually more aggressive than my Melanomargiantus but docile compared to the two Halichoeres). Also a smaller Halichoeres may fit such as Halichoeres leucoxanthus or Halichoeres iridis depending on the rock structure and sandbed. Other sand sleepers that may fit are the smaller Macropharyngodon such as M. negrosensis.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I have melanarus.
He seems super chill.
Hes in QT and him, a longnose hawk and naso tang that are all around the same size are super friendly to each other and can be seen in the same hole in a rock that i put in QT.
That being said, could i get another halichoeres genus or too risky?
Do you have a sand box in the tank?
Depending on the size of the QT and DT it’s not impossible and you could possibly do it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flashers are like fairy’s but seem to frown more from others nudging them
That explains a bit more, my clown decided the wrasse was competing with her for room (Even though her part of the cave was ontop of the recorded rock and the Flasher was under but hey clowns are clowns) so she did go at him when he was getting a gap in the rock to call his. He now is slowly getting braver and does swim throughout half of the rocks but he doesn’t seem to come too far out so he may be getting used to the lighting schedule as well as his spot in the hierarchy.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That explains a bit more, my clown decided the wrasse was competing with her for room (Even though her part of the cave was ontop of the recorded rock and the Flasher was under but hey clowns are clowns) so she did go at him when he was getting a gap in the rock to call his. He now is slowly getting braver and does swim throughout half of the rocks but he doesn’t seem to come too far out so he may be getting used to the lighting schedule as well as his spot in the hierarchy.
All mine never hide in rocks after adding. They will hide against the glass and sand in open water or swimming around ver cautious. I hold wrasse in a holding tank most of the time so they can get comfy before adding so that might be why. Also most my fish are adjusted close to my Light schedule when I get them and that makes a big difference with sand sleepers

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread often falls off my notification list!!!! I hate that!!!!

Anyways.......

Seems my moyers has finally grown a spine! While the constant chasing from the melagris has stopped, the melagris will still chase the moyers every once in a while if they get close to each other. This doesn't happen often as the moyers has pretty much stuck to one side of the tank, and hides under my duncan when the melagris gives chase.

Yesterday I saw the most amazing thing! The moyers actually swimming sideways to make itself appear bigger to the melagris(a posture often seen in fish that are "flexing"), and the melagris actually backed down!

I knew if the moyers would just stand up for itself, the melagris would back down. Seems I was right as now the moyers swims the entire tank without the melagris even looking twice at it, and I noticed this morning they were actually swimming along side each other!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flasher is out and loving it! No aggression from anyone either. I love the bright red being the first thing you see in the tank, and it’s not even a subtle red it’s a bright in your face red! Paracheilinus has to be my favourite genus, I would’ve thought the red wouldn’t stand out too much but seems my stick was missing that redish pink blast of colour :)

Now I understand how painful it is to get good photos of Paracheilinus species…
E64161A5-0358-4459-B215-CC2245313DA5.jpeg

927D91FD-3227-4A25-AE1E-DC853FE51F1E.jpeg

Im even watching how they interact from the opposite end of the room and this guy is being the boss and both Lubbock’s when they swam by would display but instantly back down, same thing occurred with the melanomarginatus. People really need to see the potential these guys have, especially when there’s so little red in the tank.
Now I realise why they really need that full 4’ of swim room… and he’s not even flashing yet (Hopefully during feeding).

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of why I like my pintail. That flash of red, and it's not a subtle red, but an in your face bright vibrant red.

First fish awake in my tank(besides the starry blenny who never sleeps), and I can see that red from across the room even in the early morning blue hue.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of why I like my pintail. That flash of red, and it's not a subtle red, but an in your face bright vibrant red.

First fish awake in my tank(besides the starry blenny who never sleeps), and I can see that red from across the room even in the early morning blue hue.
Definitely, I look forward to seeing him flash and change from these colours to even nicer ones.
This is the best photo so far - This guy has to be the worst fish for photos I own.
F09B1677-F683-4F7E-B562-ACF35BE44528.jpeg

Last edited:

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread often falls off my notification list!!!! I hate that!!!

Same! I come back to 15 replies I wasn't notified about.

I've been waiting to find a fairy wrasse that interested me for a while now (I don't like buying fish online), today I found one! My favorite LFS had a nice male C. isosceles in stock, picking up tomorrow. Will be adding to my blue flasher, meleagris leopard and melanurus. Pictures tomorrow hopefully!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same! I come back to 15 replies I wasn't notified about.

I've been waiting to find a fairy wrasse that interested me for a while now (I don't like buying fish online), today I found one! My favorite LFS had a nice male C. isosceles in stock, picking up tomorrow. Will be adding to my blue flasher, meleagris leopard and melanurus. Pictures tomorrow hopefully!
Got any photos of the blue flasher?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back