The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking about leopards, how’s the Kuiters doing salty?
She's big and feisty. Here's a cruddy pic of her taken last night.

092820227.jpg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some videos of my tanks with wrasses.

75 gallon, housing Halichoeres iridis, Halichoeres timorensis, Cirrhilabrus isosceles, Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus, and Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis:

47 Gallon Rimless, housing Cirrhilabrus lubbocki, Cirrhilabrus katherinae, and Paracheilinus carpenteri (unfortunately both the C. brunneus and the P. angulatus died shortly after coming home)

65 Gallon holding tank for the 180 gallon I'm setting up, housing Pseudocoris yamashiroi and Cheilinus lunulatus. Once the 180 gallon is up, it will house a few different fairy, leopard, Halichoeres, and hopefully pencil wrasses as well. The 2nd video shows the juvenile bicolor parrotfish, which while not technically a wrasse, is pretty darn close.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some videos of my tanks with wrasses.

75 gallon, housing Halichoeres iridis, Halichoeres timorensis, Cirrhilabrus isosceles, Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus, and Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis:

47 Gallon Rimless, housing Cirrhilabrus lubbocki, Cirrhilabrus katherinae, and Paracheilinus carpenteri (unfortunately both the C. brunneus and the P. angulatus died shortly after coming home)

65 Gallon holding tank for the 180 gallon I'm setting up, housing Pseudocoris yamashiroi and Cheilinus lunulatus. Once the 180 gallon is up, it will house a few different fairy, leopard, Halichoeres, and hopefully pencil wrasses as well. The 2nd video shows the juvenile bicolor parrotfish, which while not technically a wrasse, is pretty darn close.

I wouldn’t put the smaller Cirrhilabrus or Halichoeres with the wrasses you plan for. Try and stick to larger species such as C. Melanomarginatus, C. Scottorum, H. garnoti ect…

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t put the smaller Cirrhilabrus or Halichoeres with the wrasses you plan for. Try and stick to larger species such as C. Melanomarginatus, C. Scottorum, H. garnoti ect…
Already the plan. Looking at Halichoeres melanurus, Halichoeres bivittatus and Halichoeres cyanocephalus. For the fairies, I'm considering Cirrhilabrus briangreenei, Cirrhilabrus brunneus, and Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broomtail going in with fairies and pencils?? You're riskier than @i cant think lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to ask @icantthink and @SaltyT do you think it would be better to replace the Escenius Midas with a Leopard wrasse?
i would personally do this, but I have had some bad experiences with blennies and some perfect experiences with wrasses.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to ask @icantthink and @SaltyT do you think it would be better to replace the Escenius Midas with a Leopard wrasse?
My experience with midas blennies is that they can be punks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already the plan. Looking at Halichoeres melanurus, Halichoeres bivittatus and Halichoeres cyanocephalus. For the fairies, I'm considering Cirrhilabrus briangreenei, Cirrhilabrus brunneus, and Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis.
I would swap out the Cirrhilabrus for the larger species that get 4-5 inches. One I previously owned that got this size was Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus. If any fish was to eat or bully this guy I would be shocked, mine was mellow for the most part but sure would stand up for himself.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would personally do this, but I have had some bad experiences with blennies and some perfect experiences with wrasses.
What would be my best option regarding a leopard wrasse species? A blue star or a Choati?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be my best option regarding a leopard wrasse species? A blue star or a Choati?
Blue Stars are seen as beginner species of leopards. It’s the species I started with and many others start out with, they usually always eat frozen when you see them in the LFS. Choati are the leopard many of us (even experts) tend to struggle keeping in captivity let alone getting them to thrive.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or really any leopard. I also don’t see why so many people hate on male leopard wrasse. I mean, look at this and tell me it’s not pretty
1664394928627.png
I believe this is a male blue star. Correct me if I’m wrong

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is in fact a male blue star and honestly, in person they don’t always look the nicest. I believe I have a photo of a male blue star (Well, there’s a photo with one in). Not the best I will admit, this was when I was working in the LFS and I couldn’t count every fish we had in person so I had to use a photo.
5A160921-414E-457E-90A1-FDF856D191F6.jpeg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is in fact a male blue star and honestly, in person they don’t always look the nicest. I believe I have a photo of a male blue star (Well, there’s a photo with one in). Not the best I will admit, this was when I was working in the LFS and I couldn’t count every fish we had in person so I had to use a photo.
5A160921-414E-457E-90A1-FDF856D191F6.jpeg
Looks to be a Yellow Goatfish, a Storm Clown, a Ocellaris or a Mocha Clown, a male Blue Star, a Yellow tang, 3 pipefish and maybe a hippo laying in the front?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats really the big deal with people and male leopard wrasses. Is it because of their temperament?
Honestly I find male leopards don’t have as much of a temperament.
Looks to be a Yellow Goatfish, a Storm Clown, a Ocellaris or a Mocha Clown, a male Blue Star, a Yellow tang, 3 pipefish and maybe a hippo laying in the front?
Dang, you could count more than me haha, I just counted the three dragon pipes, 2 clowns, the leopard and the goatfish.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that's a male Red Sea leopard, Macropharyngodon marisrubri. When Mike & Terry posted theirs marisrubri hadn't been separated into its own species yet. The males are much nicer looking than bipartitus males IMO.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that's a male Red Sea leopard, Macropharyngodon marisrubri. When Mike & Terry posted theirs marisrubri hadn't been separated into its own species yet. The males are much nicer looking than bipartitus males IMO.
Ok. I’m thinking of adding him to the list now ;)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back