The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I posted a fish stocking thread last night and I’ve gotten a lot of feedback. Someone mentioned I should talk with the people of The Wrasse Lover’s Thread, so here I am. I have some wrasses I have in mind that I want to keep, but idk how well they will all do together. The tank is 4’, and 91 gallons. Hope you guys can help me out a little.

So in mind I have these:

Halichoeres melasmapomus - (Earmuff Wrasse)
Halichoeres chrysus - (Yellow Coris Wrasse)
Paracheilinus attenautus - (Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse)
Cirrhilabrus naokoae - (Naoko Fairy Wrasse)
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis - (Golden Rhomboid Wrasse -supermale-)
Macropharyngodon meleagris - (Leopard Wrasse -female-)

That was my original wrasse plan. Now after some suggestions regarding the wrasses and a little more thinking, I’ve cut the Halichoeres crysus, and thinking of cutting the Macropharyngodon meleagris. What do you guys think? Tips? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you :grinning-face: (I know the Halichoeres and the Macropharyngodon like to burrow in the sand to sleep, is this enough sand?:
1664295079854.jpeg

This is the sand around parts of the tank, (3“or 4”) with some areas with less, being 2” to around 5” or 6”).

If you would like to know what tank mates I am planning on adding to the tank with the wrasse, and if anyone wants to help out even more by commenting some thoughts and ideas to my fish stocking thread, feel free to check it out here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-this-too-much-fish-stocking.938494/
I've kept all of the wrasses on your list. My suggestion is to drop the naokoae, all the rest would be fine together. In a tank of your size the naokoae could become problematic towards the rhomboidalis and attenuatus. Also, just wanted to mention that if you do get the earmuff he won't bother the chrysus or any other wrasse. My earmuff is a gentle giant towards his tankmates... but he is a destroyer of inverts.

P.S. I just recently lost my attenuatus so if you come across a vendor that can source these please let us know :)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept all of the wrasses on your list. My suggestion is to drop the naokoae, all the rest would be fine together. In a tank of your size the naokoae could become problematic towards the rhomboidalis and attenuatus. Also, just wanted to mention that if you do get the earmuff he won't bother the chrysus or any other wrasse. My earmuff is a gentle giant towards his tankmates... but he is a destroyer of inverts.

P.S. I just recently lost my attenuatus so if you come across a vendor that can source these please let us know :)
I’ll gladly keep you in mind when I either find or order one at my LFS. Now that you mention it, amongthereef.com sells them. Here’s a pic
1664302040304.png

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll gladly keep you in mind when I either find or order one at my LFS. Now that you mention it, amongthereef.com sells them. Here’s a pic
1664302040304.png
Thanks! I saw that too so I tagged Eric.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Such a shame to hear you lost the beauty. Only thing I’d say is the Naoko isn’t as aggressive it’s more so the flashing in my experience. However, I will admit I’ve been over the edge with luck in terms of wrasses (and generally any fish). I mean, I have a trio of pink streaks still, both lubbockis, a peaceful chloropterus and a peaceful naokoae. Along with a hybrid flasher as well.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanceolatus, not the true ones from Africa yet!!!! Tankstop does have pin tail in stock
Lanceolatus is too rich for my wallet LOL we meant Paracheilinus attenuatus that @Petcrazyson posted from your ATR site above.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanceolatus, not the true ones from Africa yet!!!! Tankstop does have pin tail in stock
I didn’t even think Lanceolatus was in the hobby!
Guess over here we’re both lucky in how we get slightly rarer wild caught fish but at the same time unlucky due to some of those rarer fish you guys get in America being essentially impossible to find (And when they rise, they’re the price of a house).

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a shame to hear you lost the beauty. Only thing I’d say is the Naoko isn’t as aggressive it’s more so the flashing in my experience. However, I will admit I’ve been over the edge with luck in terms of wrasses (and generally any fish). I mean, I have a trio of pink streaks still, both lubbockis, a peaceful chloropterus and a peaceful naokoae. Along with a hybrid flasher as well.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! He was old so I knew it was coming. Flashers just don't live long enough :(

Yes, you get very lucky with wrasses lol You should add a disclaimer to your build thread haha!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess over here we’re both lucky in how we get slightly rarer wild caught fish but at the same time unlucky due to some of those rarer fish you guys get in America being essentially impossible to find (And when they rise, they’re the price of a house).
No kidding. I love amongthereef.com and all, but $35000 for a fish is just a tad bit much for me….just a TAD BIT ;) :grinning-squinting-face:

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a true Cirrhilabrus lanceolatus pair not long ago but these are Flashers. Pintail I see sometimes also called lanceolatus. Not expensive and very beautiful!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a true Cirrhilabrus lanceolatus pair not long ago but these are Flashers. Pintail I see sometimes also called lanceolatus. Not expensive and very beautiful!

How ”not expensive is ”NOT expensive”?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! He was old so I knew it was coming. Flashers just don't live long enough :(

Yes, you get very lucky with wrasses lol You should add a disclaimer to your build thread haha!
I really should haha, I don’t even know how I get to be so lucky, I mean I’ve had the majority of my wrasses for around 2 years now. You would expect to see some aggression by then but nope!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really should haha, I don’t even know how I get to be so lucky, I mean I’ve had the majority of my wrasses for around 2 years now. You would expect to see some aggression by then but nope!
Don't jinx it!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back