The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok one more this or that . The photo I just saw of the yellow tail tamarin on this thread really caught my eye. I can get that one since the store I buy from has it in stock, or I can wait however long till they get the iridis in stock. For someone with not much experience which one should I get and which one looks better?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok one more this or that . The photo I just saw of the yellow tail tamarin on this thread really caught my eye. I can get that one since the store I buy from has it in stock, or I can wait however long till they get the iridis in stock. For someone with not much experience which one should I get and which one looks better?
I’d pass on the tamarin and to with the irids until you get some more experience, just my opinion though.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just over one year. Added a lot of copepods about a month ago and add phyto everyday
I’d add pods weekly just to keep numbers high. More is better with pods IMO

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with @Petcrazyson .

Skip the weekly pod additon, a tank can only support so many. What you need is to feed the micro life these wrasses hunt. Start feeding LIVE phytoplankton. You need to feed the microlife so it can establish and breed.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of appearance for me it’s the tamarin but they are also much more difficult. However if it’s eating already at the store that’s a huge bonus.
As for pods if you have a good Refugium and add phyto you should easily be able to sustain it. I have 8 wrasse and 2 mandarins and they still find plenty of pods.

Here’s my two:
466B444B-37D4-4BA0-A1D4-6C3529810803.jpeg
E55F59DE-1700-4D66-B55D-BCA9493008FD.jpeg

Last edited:

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add pods weekly just to keep numbers high. More is better with pods IMO
I would agree with @Petcrazyson .

Skip the weekly pod additon, a tank can only support so many. What you need is to feed the micro life these wrasses hunt. Start feeding LIVE phytoplankton. You need to feed the microlife so it can establish and breed.
In terms of appearance for me it’s the tamarin but they are also much more difficult. However if it’s eating already at the store that’s a huge bonus.
As for pods if you have a good Refugium and add phyto you should easily be able to sustain it. I have 8 wrasse and 2 mandarins and they still find plenty of pods.

Here’s my two:
466B444B-37D4-4BA0-A1D4-6C3529810803.jpeg
E55F59DE-1700-4D66-B55D-BCA9493008FD.jpeg
Thank you to all of you! That sure is a really tough call for me between the two. Their both stunning, I’m leaning more towards the iridis since it’s easier and I don’t trust myself enough for the tamarin lol. Thanks once again!

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stunner was one of 2 beauties in the reefs at the Camden Aquarium.
All the cool stuff was upstairs in the kids section. Check out that hammer colony.
@SaltyT Was told you'd like this little guy The colors were stunning .
20230401_142609.jpg
20230401_142602.jpg

And this is Jenny. Jenny weighs 4,000 lbs. Jenny needs 1-800-97Jenny.
Got to watch her and Buttons eat.
20230401_133209.jpg

That yellow staghorn damsel though :star-struck:

You can tell he's been around for a long time
That damsel is all like "who are you, and why are you on my turf?!

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to all of you! That sure is a really tough call for me between the two. Their both stunning, I’m leaning more towards the iridis since it’s easier and I don’t trust myself enough for the tamarin lol. Thanks once again!
Good call! I would save the tamarin for later on when you get more versed in wrassedom.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See…
The yellow tail tamarin is nice and all but reality is there are much nicer Anampses out there. Wait until Hawaii opens all the way and not just through a petty wrasseless list and you’ll have the chance on the nicest of Anampses species!
For now, go for the iridis, they have all the colours of an A. melargides/melanurus yet they still have more colouring :)

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See…
The yellow tail tamarin is nice and all but reality is there are much nicer Anampses out there. Wait until Hawaii opens all the way and not just through a petty wrasseless list and you’ll have the chance on the nicest of Anampses species!
For now, go for the iridis, they have all the colours of an A. melargides/melanurus yet they still have more colouring :)
Good to hear! I hope they can get it in soon as I only have 2 fish left for stocking, the iridis and a diamond tail flasher.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See…
The yellow tail tamarin is nice and all but reality is there are much nicer Anampses out there.
I wouldn’t say much. There are a couple but it’s still close. Here’s my from memory rankings of the Anampses:
  1. Chrysocephalus
  2. Femininus
  3. Meleagrides
  4. Neoguinaicus
  5. Lennardi
  6. Cuvier
  7. Lineatus
  8. Melanurus
  9. Cearulepunctatus
  10. Twistii
  11. Elegans
  12. Geographicus

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say much. There are a couple but it’s still close. Here’s my from memory rankings of the Anampses:
  1. Chrysocephalus
  2. Femininus
  3. Meleagrides
  4. Neoguinaicus
  5. Lennardi
  6. Cuvier
  7. Lineatus
  8. Melanurus
  9. Cearulepunctatus
  10. Twistii
  11. Elegans
  12. Geographicus

Now I’m going through photos and am changing my rankings. Lennardi is incredible and every time I look at Melanurus and Lineatus I’m less impressed.
  1. Chrysocephalus
  2. Femininus
  3. Lennardi
  4. Meleagrides
  5. Neoguinaicus
  6. Cuvier
  7. Cearulepunctatus
  8. Twistii
  9. Lineatus
  10. Melanurus
  11. Elegans
  12. Geographicus

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse Experts:

I know it's always technically possible, but what do you think would be the likelihood of major aggression from my large male melanurus if I were to add an adorned wrasse or an earmuff? He recently accepted the fairy wrasse I added no problem... but I know it's more dicey adding another halichoeres. I read somewhere that the adorned will eat fireworms, does that sound accurate? My mel doesn't touch them and I'm seeing some rather large ones again (hate those things!) :oops: I am however getting a little tired of the melanurus unaliving every dang snail I add to the tank... so maybe I should just skip anymore of that genus, lol. Wouldn't rehome the wrasse due to it, but it's still annoying (and an ongoing expense for replacement meals! I mean snails! :face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:). Also, he has never once bothered my fire shrimp or 3 little peppermints... and I'm nervous another wrasse might...)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse Experts:

I know it's always technically possible, but what do you think would be the likelihood of major aggression from my large male melanurus if I were to add an adorned wrasse or an earmuff? He recently accepted the fairy wrasse I added no problem... but I know it's more dicey adding another halichoeres. I read somewhere that the adorned will eat fireworms, does that sound accurate? My mel doesn't touch them and I'm seeing some rather large ones again (hate those things!) :oops: I am however getting a little tired of the melanurus unaliving every dang snail I add to the tank... so maybe I should just skip anymore of that genus, lol. Wouldn't rehome the wrasse due to it, but it's still annoying (and an ongoing expense for replacement meals! I mean snails! :face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:). Also, he has never once bothered my fire shrimp or 3 little peppermints... and I'm nervous another wrasse might...)
It’s hit and miss. All fish are different and they will reactor differently but there is the certainty it will interact with the new addition. Exactly how will be up to them but because there is an established wrasse with it’s territory already for some time and then you add a new comer that looks very similar eats the good it eats and likes the space(s) it likes then you can expect some sort of level of either or both curiosity and territorial/aggressiveness. How big is the Melanurus and how big is the new comer?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I were to add an adorned wrasse or an earmuff? He recently accepted the fairy wrasse I added no problem... but I know it's more dicey adding another halichoeres. I read somewhere that the adorned will eat fireworms, does that sound accurate?
Some Halichoeres have a taste for bristleworms including fireworms so it’s probable they will eat it.

I’d go for the melasmapomus rather than the cosmetus IMO

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse Experts:

Getting a wrasse that will eat fireworms but not snails is difficult. There are some wrasse who are very good at eating worms but they are generally not considered reef safe. I’m thinking Coris and Novaculichthys which include species such as the Red Coris (C gaimard), Formosa (C formosa), dragon, and sea grass (don’t know their scientific and being lazy).

As for another Halichoeres it’s 50/50 as Ethan says but you certainly need an acclimation box.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hit and miss. All fish are different and they will reactor differently but there is the certainty it will interact with the new addition. Exactly how will be up to them but because there is an established wrasse with it’s territory already for some time and then you add a new comer that looks very similar eats the good it eats and likes the space(s) it likes then you can expect some sort of level of either or both curiosity and territorial/aggressiveness. How big is the Melanurus and how big is the new comer?
That all makes sense. I will probably be rescaping a little right before adding any more additions, so that may be helpful - but definitely know they have the same diet/like the same areas, so I know it's a risk regardless. The melanurus is decent sized, probably a good 4 1/2" or so, maybe 5" tip of nose to end of tail, lol. I don't know what size the new addition would be because I would order from Dr. Reef (though says "medium" size on the site, I will have to email them to see what they mean by that). It looks like the earmuff probably gets a little larger than the adorned at maturity but not sure if that matters. I'm not sure with wrasse whether it's better to add a larger one to an existing, or the opposite, so as to seem like less competition?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back