should I get all 30 chaotis and send it over? :D

That’s not funny :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... Definitely trying to avoid future issues. Instead of that one, what about either c. solorensis or c. aurantidorsalis? Looking for something with colors that will contrast with what I have in the tank currently (c. finnifenmaa, and h. melanurus). That's why I'm drawn to the adorned and the earmuff wrasse I originally asked about - I like the lighter color combos in contrast to the deeper colors of the fish I have already. Trying to finish my artistic vision for the tank I guess, while still paying attention to good husbandry. :)
Sorry @Petcrazyson but I’m going to disagree. When you have a semi aggressive tank the best bet is more semi aggressive fish. You want equality in a tank not a hierarchy. Yes you’ll get an alpha male wrasse but best not to have any easy targets. So I’ll stick by the labouti and also say that the solerensis (often actually an aquamarinus) or aurantidorsalis are actually really good choices with the finnifenmaa.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry @Petcrazyson but I’m going to disagree. When you have a semi aggressive tank the best bet is more semi aggressive fish. You want equality in a tank not a hierarchy. Yes you’ll get an alpha male wrasse but best not to have any easy targets. So I’ll stick by the labouti and also say that the solerensis (often actually an aquamarinus) or aurantidorsalis are actually really good choices with the finnifenmaa.
I agree! You’re right I should’ve thought of that. What I understood was he wanted to add a wrasse (laboutei, solorensis, etc.) with the same temperament as his others but not to pose a problem for new comers. Thx for the correction though :)

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree! You’re right I should’ve thought of that. What I understood was he wanted to add a wrasse (laboutei, solorensis, etc.) with the same temperament as his others but not to pose a problem for new comers. Thx for the correction though :)
Thanks for all the help. :) I was thinking about that as well, but my main goal is picking something that can hang with the existing fish and won't be pre-disposed to being bullied by the resident melanurus. He's the reason I was concerned about whether I could add another halichoeres wrasse (so far he's shown zero aggression to any fish added after him, including the fairy wrasse, which is good).

Thank you for your help as well @Slocke :) I'm sure I'll probably go back and forth a few times on which I'm leaning towards, while I wait for the weather to warm up a little more for shipping. Or you never know... the next time I stop by my lfs, he may have gotten in another wrasse I can't leave without, lol. I need blinders on so I can just walk to the fish food freezer without being drawn to the saltwater tanks... :face-with-tears-of-joy:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to find the fish stocking thread but had no luck.
I have tried a yellow coris twice and both have succumbed. Looking at switching in the same family. An adorned wrasse. My question is, are these good pest control and what is their temperament? Are they hardier? No lfs within 1.5 hours. At least a reputable one. So stick would be ordered from dr. Reef.
tank-65 gallon 4’ Tideline
-Current stock
Clown pair juvenile
Lubbocks
Exquisite
- to be added.
adorned ( potentially)
Leopard wrasse
Melanarus.

would the addition of the adorned be wise with this stock list?
Your melanurus may give it some grief when you first introduce it, but otherwise the adorned is a great choice. Mild tempered and decent coral pest hunters. One of my personal favorite halichoeres sp.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna be honest solorensis and aurantidorsalis have the same deal as the Laboutei. Not saying you can‘t try them just there could be a high chance of issues later on. I agree that the melasmapomus adds a nice touch and under certain spectrums they glow the color pink.

If you want a good sized wrasse not too aggressive amazing character and color and not expensive than look at the C. naokoae. Beautiful fish and have the habit of ‘dive bombing’ other fish while displaying. They hang out at the top of the tank most of the time so it gives good surface movement.
Thank you, I will definitely add the naokoae to the list of options! I really would like to have more fish that hang out near the top area of the tank, so that is good to know. I feel like the only fish I have right now that regularly inhabits the upper water column is my striped fang blenny.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a separate thread, but will try here. I tend to like the wrasses and am planning stock for my 150 (5'x2'x2').

I was really hoping for a Pink Margin instead of the Fine Spotted, but Dr. Reef sold out while I was figuring things out. I would also trade the Naoko for one of the other fairy wrasses.

My current plan is for future adds (parenthesis are non-wrasse):
  1. Dusky Fairy and Fine Spotted Fairy (Lamark Angel)
  2. Melanarus or Christmas and Pink Margin if back (Diamond Goby, Royal Gramma)
  3. 2-3 Flashers - should they be the same or different (Dragonnette)
  4. Cleaner wrasse - if it can be added with another group, then awesome (Tomini Tang, Picaso Trigger)
Current stock is Foxface, 2 Clowns, Crimson Hawkfish, Yellow Watchman, Cardinal
I would drop the trigger from your list those guys can be very aggressive towards smaller docile fish like wrasses.

The flasher wrasses should be one of each species.

The rest of your list looks fine to me, but if you do get the pink margin fairy it may intimidate the dusky fairy.

OnePuffMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would drop the trigger from your list those guys can be very aggressive towards smaller docile fish like wrasses.

The flasher wrasses should be one of each species.

The rest of your list looks fine to me, but if you do get the pink margin fairy it may intimidate the dusky fairy.
Thanks. I can lose the trigger for an angel or butterfly. I can also do the Naoko instead of the pink margin - I like that one more

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the cable in for my camera and found some old photos of my c. jordani

I can't even begin to tell you guys how much regret I have in selling that fish/tank. Ughhhh

Attachments

• IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1353.JPG
    IMG_1353.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 28

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I wait to be worried about my halichoeres biocellatus not eating? It will be a week tomorrow since I got him and still hasn’t ate anything yet. I’ll be adding a bottle of copepods next week and hopefully he will eat those, it’s out and swimming just not eating. I know sometimes they take quite a while to get comfortable enough to eat when being shipped

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I will definitely add the naokoae to the list of options! I really would like to have more fish that hang out near the top area of the tank, so that is good to know. I feel like the only fish I have right now that regularly inhabits the upper water column is my striped fang blenny.
Anthias will occupy upper to mid column

DA11D661-6B53-4502-A730-9C97A821918F.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias will occupy upper to mid column

DA11D661-6B53-4502-A730-9C97A821918F.jpeg
Pretty much my experience with anthias as well.

My current female/transitioning male pretty much hangs out in the mid to upper level of the tank. Certainly an open water swimmer. Only goes near the rocks at night to hunker down and go to sleep.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some great news!

The tamarin has started getting up around 9:30, right before my auto feeder goes off @ 10. Since I'm home sick today, I got to watch her munch a few pellets. Still just looks at the PE mysis a,d LRS, but at least she's munching pellets in the morning.

The lyretail on the other hand, still just looks at the pellets, Gets all excited like all the fish when pellets enter the water, but will not try one.

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some great news!

The tamarin has started getting up around 9:30, right before my auto feeder goes off @ 10. Since I'm home sick today, I got to watch her munch a few pellets. Still just looks at the PE mysis a,d LRS, but at least she's munching pellets in the morning.

The lyretail on the other hand, still just looks at the pellets, Gets all excited like all the fish when pellets enter the water, but will not try one.
I’ve had really good luck getting picky wrasses to eat frozen fish eggs. The kind in the blister packs sold at petco. You could also try fresh clams.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 46 26.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 41 23.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back