The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pitho crabs are awesome in general. Pitho + wrasse is too funny.

Yeah, these crabs are awesome. Never had them before but got these guys delivered 2 weeks ago. They look really neat and are probably the best algae eating crab I’ve ever had in 20 years. They do lots of funny stuff, too. First thing they did when I added them to the tank was meet up in the middle, size each other up, and have a little crab battle before going their separate ways haha

Meeting up 5 minutes after getting in the tank:

IMG_1185.jpeg

Crab battle shortly after:
IMG_1189.jpeg

jeremyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of adding a few wrasse to my tank (i have none since my leopard passed). Any issues with these 3 in one 170G tank?

Dusky Margined Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Fine Spotted Fairy Wrasse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of adding a few wrasse to my tank (i have none since my leopard passed). Any issues with these 3 in one 170G tank?

Dusky Margined Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Fine Spotted Fairy Wrasse
There shouldn’t be any issues except… get a few Leopards, Tamarins, Flashers! 3 is a low number for a 6’-7’ tank ;)

jeremyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There shouldn’t be any issues except… get a few Leopards, Tamarins, Flashers! 3 is a low number for a 6’-7’ tank ;)
Oh, well, maybe I should clarify. I have a 170 Gallon Fish-Only tank (60"L x 20"W x 30"H) with the following fish:
  • Queen Angel
  • King Angel
  • Emperor Angel (Juvenile)
  • Blue Hippo Tang (x2)
  • Powder Brown Tang
  • Clownfish (x3)
  • Coral Beauty
  • Lemonpeel Angel
  • Picasso Triggerfish
  • Oxina Cardinalfish
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Diamond Goby
I was thinking of adding a few:
  1. Dusky Margined Wrasse
  2. Fine Spotted Fairy Wrasse
  3. Melanurus Wrasse
  4. Dot Dash Butterflyfish
  5. Pearlscale Butterflyfish
  6. 3-5 Azure Damselfish
Any incompatibilities to look out for with these new additions? How many damsels make sense to keep together? I don't have rockwork, but have several caves and artificial plants as decorations that the fish use to hide in.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, well, maybe I should clarify. I have a 170 Gallon Fish-Only tank (60"L x 20"W x 30"H) with the following fish:
  • Queen Angel
  • King Angel
  • Blue Hippo Tang (x2)
  • Powder Brown Tang
  • Clownfish (x3)
  • Coral Beauty
  • Lemonpeel Angel
  • Picasso Triggerfish
  • Oxina Cardinalfish
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Diamond Goby
  1. Dusky Margined Wrasse
  3. Melanurus Wrasse
  6. 3-5 Azure Damselfish
Any incompatibilities to look out for with these new additions? How many damsels make sense to keep together? I don't have rockwork, but have several caves and artificial plants as decorations that the fish use to hide in.
Seems like a busy slightly aggressive tank with little hiding spaces for wrasses imo. Maybe the melanurus is fine. Comment from @i cant think @Slocke @Petcrazyson

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Queen Angel
  • King Angel
  • Blue Hippo Tang (x2)
  • Powder Brown Tang
  • Clownfish (x3)
  • Coral Beauty
  • Lemonpeel Angel
  • Picasso Triggerfish
  • Oxina Cardinalfish
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Diamond Goby
  1. Dusky Margined Wrasse
  3. Melanurus Wrasse
  6. 3-5 Azure Damselfish
Yeah I'd consider getting some of the tougher wrasse though those may all do fine if you get larger ones as they are all sizeable. But since you have a FOWLR you could get a different wrasse like a seagrass wrasse which are very fun or a red coris wrasse.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is interesting, the LFS I work at is getting in both supermale Hemitaeniatus Flashers and also Vivienne’s Leopards, now I’m with the option of sticking with the Choati or grabbing a Vivienne. It seems Choati is more common among wrasse collectors and Vivienne stays a similar size to Choati.
So, which do you guys think I should go for?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is interesting, the LFS I work at is getting in both supermale Hemitaeniatus Flashers and also Vivienne’s Leopards, now I’m with the option of sticking with the Choati or grabbing a Vivienne. It seems Choati is more common among wrasse collectors and Vivienne stays a similar size to Choati.
So, which do you guys think I should go for?
Both. Definitely grab the vivien if you have the chance.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. Definitely grab the vivien if you have the chance.
I’ll see how they are when they come in, if they’re young females or juveniles I may grab a vivienne and then wait for a choati further down the line (Hopefully by then my Bipartitus will be in the 4’ tank).

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Queen Angel
  • King Angel
  • Blue Hippo Tang (x2)
  • Powder Brown Tang
  • Clownfish (x3)
  • Coral Beauty
  • Lemonpeel Angel
  • Picasso Triggerfish
  • Oxina Cardinalfish
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Diamond Goby
  1. Dusky Margined Wrasse
  3. Melanurus Wrasse
  6. 3-5 Azure Damselfish
Pics? :face-in-clouds:

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my latest order from dr. Reef! Super happy with the three wrasses I ordered. Adorned, lubock’s, Melanarus. I asked for the largest he could supply and he didn’t disappoint. The Melanarus is 4-5 inches.

Question on coloration. The Melanarus being as large as is it has the striped coloration on his face but the body is dark blue. Can’t seem to find any pictures similar and he is so dang fast I can’t get a picture. Has been in the tank for a little over a week. Will the body striped color develop after settles into the tank more or is the dark blue coloration due to it being a bigger and possibly older specimen?

jeremyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'd consider getting some of the tougher wrasse though those may all do fine if you get larger ones as they are all sizeable. But since you have a FOWLR you could get a different wrasse like a seagrass wrasse which are very fun or a red coris wrasse.
Which are "tougher" wrasse to consider?

So Maybe:
  • Melanurus Wrasse
  • Red Coris Wrasse (dr reef has Juvi)
  • something else?

Here's one from a few months ago. I since added 2 caves so there are now 4 separate caves, although the diamond goby claimed one and filled it top to bottom with sand. There is a fairly deep layer of sand.
1686528484257.png

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I didn't know these were getting so common, but I was about to score this guy from Joel Phillips. Another one of my list.

Here is a little video of him. Gets braver everyday.

PS. If your looking for wrasses, there is a reason Joel is called the Wrasse King

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which are "tougher" wrasse to consider?

So Maybe:
  • Melanurus Wrasse
  • Red Coris Wrasse (dr reef has Juvi)
  • something else?

Here's one from a few months ago. I since added 2 caves so there are now 4 separate caves, although the diamond goby claimed one and filled it top to bottom with sand. There is a fairly deep layer of sand.
So really any halichoeres but I'd get one at least 3". A smaller Coris or Thalassoma like the red coris, Coris gaimard, the bluehead or the pinkface wrasse, T bisfaciatum and T quinquevittatum. Also a harlequin tusk or a sea grass and maybe even a dragon wrasse though that one may be too aggressive.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my latest order from dr. Reef! Super happy with the three wrasses I ordered. Adorned, lubock’s, Melanarus. I asked for the largest he could supply and he didn’t disappoint. The Melanarus is 4-5 inches.

Question on coloration. The Melanarus being as large as is it has the striped coloration on his face but the body is dark blue. Can’t seem to find any pictures similar and he is so dang fast I can’t get a picture. Has been in the tank for a little over a week. Will the body striped color develop after settles into the tank more or is the dark blue coloration due to it being a bigger and possibly older specimen?
I wouldn't know but Dr Reef does send the wrong fish sometimes. I think we'd need a picture.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't know but Dr Reef does send the wrong fish sometimes. I think we'd need a picture.
Well looks like I did in fact receive the wrong wrasse. Pictures look exactly like a lunare as opposed to a Melanarus that I ordered. Now the question lies in that I’m pretty sure the Lunare would get to large for my 4’ 65 gallon tank. Stock with the lunare is a pair of clowns, exquisite wrasse, lubbocks and adorned. Not sure whether this lunare would be compatible with my tank long term.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I didn't know these were getting so common, but I was about to score this guy from Joel Phillips. Another one of my list.

Here is a little video of him. Gets braver everyday.

PS. If your looking for wrasses, there is a reason Joel is called the Wrasse King

Can’t see the video. Is it a twisti or tamarin?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looks like I did in fact receive the wrong wrasse. Pictures look exactly like a lunare as opposed to a Melanarus that I ordered. Now the question lies in that I’m pretty sure the Lunare would get to large for my 4’ 65 gallon tank. Stock with the lunare is a pair of clowns, exquisite wrasse, lubbocks and adorned. Not sure whether this lunare would be compatible with my tank long term.
Wow
That’s not even close! Second time Dr reef has done that recently and last time I believe he got an earmuff mixed up with a kuiteri leopard wrasse.

Yeah that’s a big and aggressive wrasse. I’d ask for a refund and try and rehome at an LFS or other reefer.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow
That’s not even close! Second time Dr reef has done that recently and last time I believe he got an earmuff mixed up with a kuiteri leopard wrasse.

Yeah that’s a big and aggressive wrasse. I’d ask for a refund and try and rehome at an LFS or other reefer.
Best I can do picture wise. In the bucket upon arrival. Note the tail fins. I’m an idiot for letting it go a week and not thinking about him sending the wrong fish. Was more concerned with the adorned that I wanted so badly. Crazy part is, he doesn’t even sell the lunare on his website
IMG_0492.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back