The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe ill have to run to the LFS after work then LOL. Thanks!
Also, if your sand bed isn’t too shallow then definitely consider other genera if you want! My personal favourites from other genera are;
Halichoeres iridis
Pseudojuloides atavai
Macropharyngodon negrosensis/choati
Anampses neoguinaicus/geographicus

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump :D
4B50AA92-3377-4B11-BA70-7F4108A75B04.jpeg

A8B217F5-4AFE-4F13-A50A-5828F6B0F4F9.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to get an orangeback after transferring over to my 75 gallon. Would that possibly coexist ok with my melanurus?
This should work however the worry would be if you wanted other fairy or flasher wrasses after adding the orange back.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wish i were able to keep wrasses alive :( most of mine disappeared after a few days
Wrasses usually vanish for a few days when new to the tank.
What species did you try? And what fish were they with?

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i give my foxface nori everyday when i get home from work...somone else has joined in lately!

she learned to mimic the foxfaces tearing motion, except zips away halfway across the tank like she doesnt know her own swim strength lol

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 24

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i give my foxface nori everyday when i get home from work...somone else has joined in lately!

she learned to mimic the foxfaces tearing motion, except zips away halfway across the tank like she doesnt know her own swim strength lol
My fairy wrasses are always the first to the algae and then the fox and tang join in once they notice somethings up.
But then everything changes when it comes to mysis and the CBB is actually the first to get food.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, for those of you who don’t know, this guy has overcome one nasty scrape and nip. He’s now in the 4’ tank as a reward (as well as to help it not get too infected whilst he heals) and absolutely loving life in there with the other wrasses. The radiant and this guy look beautiful together and it’s one pairing I’m now in love with. I was looking forward to seeing the colours of the iridis and the naoko together since day 1 (Now over a year ago) and there has been no regrets!
I hope in the future I can try get a photo of the two next to eachother just to show the natural beauty in their colour patterns.
D67FEB9C-4050-4F10-98F0-E4C5DC572057.jpeg

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it's that you don't want to add aggressive wrasses first.
Oh ok, that makes sense. The melanurus is my first wrasse - I did some research, but just aren't experienced with them. I'm really loving the melanurus though, and am realizing I may now have a bit of a wrasse obsession, lol. I know I'd like at least one more... I'll be upgrading to a 75 gallon tank in a couple weeks. Not wanting to be overstocked, but another peaceful wrasse would be great- and I really love the color of the orangeback. Or something else with bright pink in it (I'd love a trio of Evansi anthias actually but don't have time to feed them multiple times throughout the day...) The orangeback has that pink/orange coloring, but want to make sure I'm picking fish by how well they'll get along with existing fish and not just by how they look.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. You want to avoid adding more of the same species right?
You want to avoid that as well as aggressive species first. If you want more fairy (or flashers) wrasses in the future then you’ll want wrasses that are going to be able to withstand themselves with aggression.

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New salty here.

I have a 6 line in my Fluval EVO. Love his character. Greets me when I walk up to the tank. Begging for food.

Goal is one other goby type fish. This shouldn’t be a problem correct?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New salty here.

I have a 6 line in my Fluval EVO. Love his character. Greets me when I walk up to the tank. Begging for food.

Goal is one other goby type fish. This shouldn’t be a problem correct?
I don’t recommend it, six lines will rule the tank and in smaller tanks they can become murderers due to not having the territory they need.
If possible can you show an idea of the rockscape as this is one big factor into this working or not.

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recommend it, six lines will rule the tank and in smaller tanks they can become murderers due to not having the territory they need.
If possible can you show an idea of the rockscape as this is one big factor into this working or not.
Rockscape is simple. 2 good sized branchy rocks. It’s a small reef setup. The 13 gallon fluval. Coral are doing well.
539FDC60-7884-4DDC-8145-A26D11EAA6DD.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rockscape is simple. 2 good sized branchy rocks. It’s a small reef setup. The 13 gallon fluval. Coral are doing well.
539FDC60-7884-4DDC-8145-A26D11EAA6DD.jpeg
You may get away with it as long as the Goby stays low to the ground in comparison to the Sixline.

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may get away with it as long as the Goby stays low to the ground in comparison to the Sixline.
I may try a goby or maybe a blenny. Heard they are tough guys.

I have no problem with Monty being a bachelor(ette) if need be. His behavior reminds me of an Oscar. Always begging for food.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may try a goby or maybe a blenny. Heard they are tough guys.

I have no problem with Monty being a bachelor(ette) if need be. His behavior reminds me of an Oscar. Always begging for food.
I don’t recommend trying a blenny but a small enough goby could work.
Just remember to be ready to split the two up at any moment.

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recommend trying a blenny but a small enough goby could work.
Just remember to be ready to split the two up at any moment.
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. I have lots of freshwater cichlids experience. So territoriality is understood. Fish can be SOBS at times for sure

I have a great local shop. Always willing to take a return if needed. Losing a $10 fish sucks. And salts go way more the that. Lol

Back