The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what other wrasses would y'all consider for a 100 gallon (60"L x 19"W x 20.5"H)? I scored a free tank and stand today and I'm going to upgrade my 75 gallon.

Current wrasses include:
Cirrhilabrus brunneus
Cirrhilabrus chaliasi
Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Cirrhilabrus labouti
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres timorensis

I'm currently considering the following (obviously not all of them, but probably 3 or 4):
Cirrhilabrus briangreenei
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Indo) - if I can find a healthy one...
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis
Cirrhilabrus rubeus
Halichoeres chrysus
Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Macropharyngodon meleagris
Macropharyngodon negrosensis
Pseudojuloides severnsi

20230124_175716.jpg

Rhomboid
Chrysus
Vivien

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what other wrasses would y'all consider for a 100 gallon (60"L x 19"W x 20.5"H)? I scored a free tank and stand today and I'm going to upgrade my 75 gallon.

Current wrasses include:
Cirrhilabrus brunneus
Cirrhilabrus chaliasi
Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Cirrhilabrus labouti
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres timorensis

I'm currently considering the following (obviously not all of them, but probably 3 or 4):
Cirrhilabrus rubeus
Halichoeres chrysus
Pseudojuloides severnsi

20230124_175716.jpg
Pseudojuloides zeus
Pseudojuloides mesostigma
Cirrhilabrus shutmani

Thats what I would pick personally.
I mean, you never said they couldn’t be rare ;)

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudojuloides zeus
Pseudojuloides mesostigma
Cirrhilabrus shutmani

Thats what I would pick personally.
I mean, you never said they couldn’t be rare ;)
Lol 3 of those cost more than this whole tank and all the inhabitants.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current wrasses include:
Cirrhilabrus brunneus
Cirrhilabrus chaliasi
Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Cirrhilabrus labouti
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres timorensis

Cirrhilabrus rubeus
Halichoeres chrysus
Pseudojuloides severnsi

20230124_175716.jpg
Sweet score! Is it acrylic?

I like your wrasse list. Leave briangreenei out, he'll be a jerk to your brunneus and isosceles (and the rhomboidalis, rubeus, and lubbocki if you get those). Can't wait to see this wrasse tank come together!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet score! Is it acrylic?

I like your wrasse list. Leave briangreenei out, he'll be a jerk to your brunneus and isosceles (and the rhomboidalis, rubeus, and lubbocki if you get those). Can't wait to see this wrasse tank come together!
Yes, it's acrylic. A few small scratches that I'm gonna buff out, but nothing crazy. I was going to use a 75 as the sump, but it won't fit in the stand. Probably going to use a 55 gallon now. I want a bigger refugium.

I'm surprised by how everyone reacts to C. briangreenei. I've had 2 specimens before, and both were model citizens with other fairies (one with C. lubbocki, C. cyanopleura, and C. rubripinnis in a 4' 110 gallon; the other with C. lubbocki, C. temmincki, C. cyanopleura, C. aquamarinus, C. rubripinnis, and a few different Paracheilinus species, though this one was in an 8'x4' footprint 380 gallon).

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's acrylic. A few small scratches that I'm gonna buff out, but nothing crazy. I was going to use a 75 as the sump, but it won't fit in the stand. Probably going to use a 55 gallon now. I want a bigger refugium.

I'm surprised by how everyone reacts to C. briangreenei. I've had 2 specimens before, and both were model citizens with other fairies (one with C. lubbocki, C. cyanopleura, and C. rubripinnis in a 4' 110 gallon; the other with C. lubbocki, C. temmincki, C. cyanopleura, C. aquamarinus, C. rubripinnis, and a few different Paracheilinus species, though this one was in an 8'x4' footprint 380 gallon).
I like acrylic tanks. I had an acrylic 120 for many years. I think it's going to be a sweet build.

All of the fairy wrasses you mentioned (except lubbocki) are on the same level of aggression or more aggressive than briangreenei that's why you didn't have problems...and the flashers being in 380 gallons helped them ;) Putting briangreenei in a smaller tank with docile wrasses won't produce the same results you had before.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like acrylic tanks. I had an acrylic 120 for many years. I think it's going to be a sweet build.

All of the fairy wrasses you mentioned (except lubbocki) are on the same level of aggression or more aggressive than briangreenei that's why you didn't have problems...and the flashers being in 380 gallons helped them ;) Putting briangreenei in a smaller tank with docile wrasses won't produce the same results you had before.
I might still have to try it, maybe as the last fish into the tank. I can always yank it and put it in one of the other tanks :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly, lubbocki IME isn’t a peaceful wrasse, they’re my most aggressive wrasses although my iridis will overpower them when needed.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, lubbocki IME isn’t a peaceful wrasse, they’re my most aggressive wrasses although my iridis will overpower them when needed.
Lubbocki isn't peaceful... I didn't mean to give the impression that it was. I was stating that it was the least aggressive of Fishfreak's fairies he had in with his briangreenei.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that one of y’all’s wrasses or tuskers (I think?) in the photo of the Month contest. Pics 2 and 9? I think?
Pic 2 is SaltyT’s, congrats by the way @SaltyT :)
Pic 9 I don’t actually know whose it is.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back