1680054973338.jpeg

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My googling skills are getting better!
I still couldn't tell you it's anything other than a "pink and teal" (and omg I need it) wrasse.
We'll see how it looks in a week or so. The tankmate wasn't looking so hot.
20230328_170720.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thalassoma quinquevittatum?
I agree with you there, it definitely has the right markings for a quinquevittatium. They’re one of the most beautiful of the thalassoma IMO, obviously it gets topped by these two though;
T. rueppellii
BFD3AE7D-447A-4B01-9EB6-85FB32CB147E.jpeg

and a female T. lucasanum
DEB15BDD-473C-47A9-936D-5C0A2F4AF355.jpeg

Both of these photos are google searches, wish I had photos of specimens I’ve seen in the past.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My googling skills are getting better!
I still couldn't tell you it's anything other than a "pink and teal" (and omg I need it) wrasse.
We'll see how it looks in a week or so. The tankmate wasn't looking so hot.
20230328_170720.jpg
Looks to me that the Passars Angel has lymphocystis which affects mostly Angels and Butterflies. Viral and not contagious. Generally comes from poor water quality and often shows after shipping. No cure but if otherwise healthy fish should survive.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking ahead to stock my new 75g and decided to go to the experts. I would like

Melanarus wrasse
Six line wrasse
Green coris wrasse

I understand the greens can be a pain, but am willing to take a chance with it. Is this okay for a 75g tank with 4’ of space? Any species of inverts or fish I need to stay away from with these guys? What order to add? Melanarus, six line, green?

Sorry for not have all the scientific names, just getting into the wide world of wrasses…:face-with-tears-of-joy:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking ahead to stock my new 75g and decided to go to the experts. I would like

Melanarus wrasse
Six line wrasse
Green coris wrasse

I understand the greens can be a pain, but am willing to take a chance with it. Is this okay for a 75g tank with 4’ of space? Any species of inverts or fish I need to stay away from with these guys? What order to add? Melanarus, six line, green?

Sorry for not have all the scientific names, just getting into the wide world of wrasses…:face-with-tears-of-joy:
So there’s a reason we don’t talk about sixlines here. They are little monsters especially to other wrasse. Also the green wrasse (which is not a coris wrasse but a halichoeres) is too big for a 75. The Melanurus is fine though.

The green wrasse may eat any shrimp as well as smaller snails.

For a tank that size I suggest smaller flasher, fairy, and halichoeres wrasse. And if you’re a proficient wrasse keeper then the more challenging tamarin or leopard wrasse.

There is the peaceful cousin of the sixline, the pink streaked which you may consider too.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there’s a reason we don’t talk about sixlines here. They are little monsters especially to other wrasse. Also the green wrasse (which is not a coris wrasse but a halichoeres) is too big for a 75. The Melanurus is fine though.

The green wrasse may eat any shrimp as well as smaller snails.

For a tank that size I suggest smaller flasher, fairy, and halichoeres wrasse. And if you’re a proficient wrasse keeper then the more challenging tamarin or leopard wrasse.

There is the peaceful cousin of the sixline, the pink streaked which you may consider too.
Okay, thanks for the input! I’ll hold off on the green wrasse then till I get a bigger tank, just love how it looks. What size tank do they need?

And I’ve heard that about sixlines, which is why I don’t have one yet. I’ll look into the pink streak.

Edit: These will be my first wrasses, so definitely not an expert…

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Looks to me that the Passars Angel has lymphocystis which affects mostly Angels and Butterflies. Viral and not contagious. Generally comes from poor water quality and often shows after shipping. No cure but if otherwise healthy fish should survive.
That's what @Crabby48 was thinking too.
Beautiful fish. They had just gotten a shipment in yesterday, I don't know how long they had been in the store, so I'll check out the wrasse again in a week or so.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got out of work early today! Fish is on it's way. Tracking has it "out for delivery" which means sometime between now and 4 o'clock.

Fingers and toes crossed it comes in ok.

Mike did tell me it was eating(PE mysis, and TDO chromoboost) in the store, so I know it is at least eating prepared foods, and that hurdle is crossed(one of the biggest hurdles with these types of fish).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Melanarus wrasse
Six line wrasse
Green coris wrasse

As your first wrasses, you don’t want a chloropterus or a hexataenia. The only one that is good on this list is the Melanurus.
A chloropterus needs the 4’ length but will also need 2’ in width. Even then, I personally find my tank is on the small side and he is being slightly more boisterous to my new wrasse, not outright aggression but more the introduction boisterousness you get in fish.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Melanarus wrasse
Six line wrasse
Green coris wrasse

The melanarus would be fine, but may squabble with any other halichoeres(least thats what I have found). The green corris will get to big for the 75, and six lines are murderous little *******'s. You may get one thats peaceful, but as they grow and mature, they become the little *******'s we know them as.

Plenty of fairies, and flashers that would work well in that size tank.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a reason we never talk about six lines in this thread.....

Anyone that knows anything about wrasses, will all tell you the same thing about six lines. Murderous little *******'s. Sometimes they kill just for the fun of it. I have personally witnessed a tiny 2" six line take out a very large hippo tang just for the heck of it.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a reason we never talk about six lines in this thread.....

Anyone that knows anything about wrasses, will all tell you the same thing about six lines. Murderous little *******'s. Sometimes they kill just for the fun of it. I have personally witnessed a tiny 2" six line take out a very large hippo tang just for the heck of it.

Guess I’ll repost this then
0E2A232C-CDB7-49BF-8F25-4439EE95A638.jpeg

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree with you there, it definitely has the right markings for a quinquevittatium. They’re one of the most beautiful of the thalassoma IMO, obviously it gets topped by these two though;
T. rueppellii
BFD3AE7D-447A-4B01-9EB6-85FB32CB147E.jpeg

and a female T. lucasanum
DEB15BDD-473C-47A9-936D-5C0A2F4AF355.jpeg

Both of these photos are google searches, wish I had photos of specimens I’ve seen in the past.
I don't know any of the latin names, so bare with me.
Think he would get along with my 5?
Yellow Coris
ruby headed fairy
exquisite
Hardwicke
Timor

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know any of the latin names, so bare with me.
Think he would get along with my 5?
Yellow Coris
ruby headed fairy
exquisite
Hardwicke
Timor
OMG you can't post a list like that without the latin names! How dare you! :D

@i cant think will be all over that. LOL

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your other 5?

The ones listed should get along fine with each other. An acclimation box is the biggest thing to use when introducing new wrasses to an already established group. Lets them figure out the pecking order pretty quickly.

I admittingly had to look up the hardwicke, had never heard of one.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back