The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm sitting here waiting for this fish.......

I'm either overthinking it, or I'm just worried about shipping stress. Not sure, but what do y'all think?

Should I just plop and drop, or use an acclimation box depending on size? I normally plop and drop sand sleepers, as an acclimation box can be very stressful. BUT, I'm a little worried about my yellow corris that is quite boisterous, and the moyers can be a little b**chy at times to new additions.

If I use the box, I will put a tub of sand in it, but I have never really had any sand sleeper actually use the sand in the box. They typically stress out trying to wedge themselves between the box walls, and the tub of sand.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reminds me, will the guy QT your Choati? And if he does will it be solo?
No

I stopped QTing fish years ago. I do not worry about ich, and I do treat my display with prazi with new additions. But I do not medicate anything.

I'm a lot more cavalier about reefing then I was 20 years ago. :p

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this question for me? I'm not sure. I'm just looking to get from a 'reputable' source. Maybe from Ocean Devotion or Reef Pro.
No sorry lol it was for homer. Sorry for the mix up. A good place to get QT ‘healthy’ leopards is from Elliot over at Marine Collectors.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No

I stopped QTing fish years ago. I do not worry about ich, and I do treat my display with prazi with new additions. But I do not medicate anything.

I'm a lot more cavalier about reefing then I was 20 years ago. :p
I’m the same, if I get a new fish I’ll often just float it for 30 minutes then dump it.
There has been a few fish I’ve dropped for a couple of reasons, mainly due to either the bags they came in being too big to just float in the tank (This was the case with my regal Angel - Ikea), or the fish is just more sensitive (This was why I dripped my CBB).

However, I avoid QT like the plague and just think with the mindset of;
If a fish is thriving and happy then it will live either with the disease or overcome it. A disease rarely attacks a thriving fish.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried my best to get some better pics - this guy is FAST and always on the move! (Please excuse the insane amount of gha in the background, I'm in the midst of an epic battle with it, lol). To the naked eye he is mostly bright red (the scales towards his head seem to get dark purple outlines if he's stressed - like when one of my dogs put his nose up to the tank and scared him)... but overall he's red a little more than half his body, fading to a peachy color. Fins are purple, with a very thin bluish line along the edge of the tail and anal fin. The dorsal fin is mostly red fading to purple, and I'm just not seeing that intense orange hue from the pics of c. finifenmaa I've looked at. Possibly a slight orangish hue... Maybe it's just not fully mature yet and not fully colored up? He must be getting more comfortable because he was almost all red and purple when I got him, but now I do see some of that peach color on his body. Would really like to know for sure which one he is but it's not the end of the world if it can't be determined - I'm just glad I picked him up when I found him, because he's become one of my favorite fish and adds that bright flash of red that I miss from my flamehawk. He is so comical - sneaks through caves in the rockwork and stares me down with his googly eyes, lol! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: BTW - if I were to add another fairy wrasse in the future, or a flasher, which would be compatible?
20230326_094238.jpg

20230327_193323.jpg 20230328_130017.jpg 20230328_130015.jpg
Is there any yellow in the dorsal fin? If not I think it is rubrisquamis.
As for another wrasse I suggest a Naoko, rubriventralis, ryukyuensis, cyanopleura or one of their close relatives.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for another wrasse I suggest a Naoko, rubriventralis, ryukyuensis, cyanopleura or one of their close relatives.
I THINK I'm starting to see a slight peachy hue to the front of the dorsal (similar to the peach color toward his tail but not as light)... but he doesn't put it up much so it's hard to tell. The start of the dorsal fin looks to me like the same red as his body, fading to a lighter red/peach, then purple. I do feel like he looks more like the pics of rubrisquamis that I've seen, but that doesn't mean it's not the finifenmaa. I see more blue on the fins in the finifenmaa pics than I see on my fish - very little blue on his fins, mostly a purple. And thank you, I will check out those other wrasse! I have seen the Naoko, those are really cool. :) (Attached a pic I found from Maidenhead Aquatics stating it's rubrisquamis, and this, to me, except for the dark purple lines on the fins, is exactly what mine looks like, even down to the subtle stripes across the top of the head).

Rubrisquamis_1.jpg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. finifenmaa is correct. C. rubrisquamis is now limited to the Chagos Archipelago and looks very much like C. wakanda. More taxonomy has to be done to decide if C. rubrisquamis is indeed a separate species or a variant of C. wakanda.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. finifenmaa is correct. C. rubrisquamis is now limited to the Chagos Archipelago and looks very much like C. wakanda. More taxonomy has to be done to decide if C. rubrisquamis is indeed a separate species or a variant of C. wakanda.
I will go with what you resident wrasse experts believe he is, thank you! :) Do you think he will develop the brighter yellow/orange on the dorsal fin as he matures? Or does this look like an adult? I'd estimate he's 3+" long.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will go with what you resident wrasse experts believe he is, thank you! :) Do you think he will develop the brighter yellow/orange on the dorsal fin as he matures? Or does this look like an adult? I'd estimate he's 3+" long.
I can see a tint of yellow in the dorsal in one of the photos you got so I bet it’s just a matter of time :)

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He still has some growing to do. His color will improve as he matures.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow I looked these up and I would love to find a ryukyuensis! (Or if I had $3K to blow, Cirrhilabrus randalli... lol)

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of dropping the midas blenny in my stocking list to make room for a flasher wrasse in my IM 40L AIO (display: 35.4" x 15.3" x 12").

Which is better?

Paracheilinus carpenteri vs. Paracheilinus mccoskeri... And, go!

P.s. Stocking list so far:
Tailspot blenny (have)
Exquisite firefish (have)
Pair occelaris clowns (have)
Yasha shrimp goby (planned, for sure)
Midas blenny (planned)
Pair banggai cardinals (planned, potential)

Also considering
Wetmorella nigropinnata

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of dropping the midas blenny in my stocking list to make room for a flasher wrasse in my IM 40L AIO (display: 35.4" x 15.3" x 12").

Which is better?

Tailspot blenny (have)
Midas blenny (planned)

Also considering
Wetmorella nigropinnata
I finally saw a large male McCosker's in my LFS last week and OMG was it gorgeous. I prefer the look of those over the Carpenter's - both beautiful though! Either one would look fantastic. :) (Probably good idea dropping the Midas since you already have a tailspot btw - I LOVE my Midas, but he can be a punk to the other fish, particularly other blenny's. He thinks he's tank boss, lol).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which is better?

Tailspot blenny (have)
Midas blenny (planned)

Also considering
Wetmorella nigropinnata
No paracheilinus species will do well in a 3’ tank longterm. You really want 4’ of length for a flasher to be happy, they have have a small size but they’re just too active.
If you really want a larger wrasse, go for a smaller Cirrhilabrus species. These will be better suited to a 3’ tank and not go too crazy.
Others you could look into if you have a sand bed are the Macropharyngodon and smaller Halichoeres species :)

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which is better?

Tailspot blenny (have)
Midas blenny (planned)

Also considering
Wetmorella nigropinnata
Your tank's dimensions are not ideal for flasher wrasses. This article I wrote will explain why.

12" of tank height will limit you to possum wrasses or a pink streaked wrasse.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tamarin just showed up, bag is super cold, and the fish does not look good. Barely breathing, and I only see the side fins flutter a bit. Going to leave the bag in the sump for a bit and see what happens. :(

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tamarin just showed up, bag is super cold, and the fish does not look good. Barely breathing, and I only see the side fins flutter a bit. Going to leave the bag in the sump for a bit and see what happens. :(
Fingers crossed he perks up once he warms up! Keep us posted.

Back