The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking good. After floating for 15 minutes I decided to do the tub of sand in an acclimation box. It's fat and healthy, just doesn't look like it survived shipping well at all.

20230329_131244.jpg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's swimming around a bit, but upside down, and in circles. I'm not to hopeful at this point. Already reached out to michael when the box arrived super cold.
Sounds similar to my blue spot tamarin. That also arrived cold and the fish was upside down.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No paracheilinus species will do well in a 3’ tank longterm. You really want 4’ of length for a flasher to be happy, they have have a small size but they’re just too active.
If you really want a larger wrasse, go for a smaller Cirrhilabrus species. These will be better suited to a 3’ tank and not go too crazy.
Others you could look into if you have a sand bed are the Macropharyngodon and smaller Halichoeres species :)
C. exquisitus was on my short list, but all fairies seem to get a bit too large for my tank. Look amazing, though!

For Halichoeres, I worry about it being "category 2 reef-safe" as I particularly value both my snail/sexy shrimp inverts and my worms (mostly spaghetti, fans and some unidentified detritivores). I've also read the least about this genus. RE: Macropharyngodon, I am 100% inexperienced when it comes to wrasses, even though these are "category 1 reef-safe" according to thewrasseguy.

Your tank's dimensions are not ideal for flasher wrasses. This article I wrote will explain why.

12" of tank height will limit you to possum wrasses or a pink streaked wrasse.

W. nigropinnata is on my short list, so maybe I will stick with that one. Have you experienced them ever picking on snails/crabs/shrimp or CUC worms/dusters? Likewise with P. ataenia?

Thanks for the great feedback!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W. nigropinnata is on my short list, so maybe I will stick with that one. Have you experienced them ever picking on snails/crabs/shrimp or CUC worms/dusters? Likewise with P. ataenia?

My P. ataenia lives in a tank full of FL live rock. Lots of worms and dusters. She pays zero attention to any of it. She pays no attention to my pistol shrimps, crabs, or snails either. You can expect the same with possum wrasses. I would not trust either one with sexy shrimp though.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. exquisitus was on my short list, but all fairies seem to get a bit too large for my tank. Look amazing, though!

For Halichoeres, I worry about it being "category 2 reef-safe" as I particularly value both my snail/sexy shrimp inverts and my worms (mostly spaghetti, fans and some unidentified detritivores). I've also read the least about this genus. RE: Macropharyngodon, I am 100% inexperienced when it comes to wrasses, even though these are "category 1 reef-safe" according to thewrasseguy.

P. ataenia doesn’t go for shrimp/inverts unless they’re incredibly small. I personally love mine as they just glide round the tank all day in the rocks and every few minutes you’ll see an eye or two and if you’re lucky, maybe even an entire face!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My P. ataenia lives in a tank full of FL live rock. Lots of worms and dusters. She pays zero attention to any of it. She pays no attention to my pistol shrimps, crabs, or snails either. You can expect the same with possum wrasses. I would not trust either one with sexy shrimp though.

P. ataenia doesn’t go for shrimp/inverts unless they’re incredibly small. I personally love mine as they just glide round the tank all day in the rocks and every few minutes you’ll see an eye or two and if you’re lucky, maybe even an entire face!

I have 2 sexy shrimp I've had for about a year that live in my RFAs, one on the larger side and one very small.

It sounds like they would be in imminent danger with wither wrasse. Hard decision to re-home them...

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girl comes up to the glass and wiggles at me begging for food. Adorbs! I added fish eggs to her food and she loves it!

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking a bit better. Still super stressed and has no energy to bury itself, but at least it's upright, and not swimming in circles. It's eyes follow me, and the breathing has calmed quite a bit.

I have hope! it's certainly a beautiful fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 sexy shrimp I've had for about a year that live in my RFAs, one on the larger side and one very small.

It sounds like they would be in imminent danger with wither wrasse. Hard decision to re-home them...
If they have a RFA and have been in there before the wrasse you shouldn’t be too concerned. Most fish avoid RFAs anyway.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally swimming all over the box now. Pretty sure it's going to be fine, but at the very least going to leave it in the box until tomorrow. We'll see shortly if she'll eat as it's almost dinner time for my others.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to laying on her side in the box, had no interest in any food I tried. Eyes follow me, and shes not breathing super hard. Just stressed I think at this point. If she's still alive in the AM I will let it out of the box. Let her bury in the sand for a couple days. She's not skinny by any means, so she'll be able to last a couple days buried, and get over the stress.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t give up on it yet…Tamarins are funny like that looking like they’re on deaths doorstep then fine. Also just the opposite too….I have them looking great and even eating then just never come out of the sand again. .. very frustrating. Also don’t be discouraged if it stays buried a few days. Sometimes it takes them time to get their biological clocks on your time, but you can check at night to if it’s out then try feeding it small mysis or even better something live like brine. GL

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the proud new owner of a pair of diamond tail flashers, I've had them in my QT for 3 days. I'm excited, I've been trying to source this fish for months, and now I have a pair! But they don't seem to be eating. I've tried both frozen mysis, and masstick stuck on the glass. They've ignored the masstick, but with the mysis they take it into their mouths, chew for a bit, and then spit it out. Maybe they're getting something out of it, but it looks like they spit out everything they take in. Any advice as to how to get them to eat or what else I should try feeding?
I’ve always had good luck with frozen fish eggs(the ones sold in the blister packs at petco). You could also pick up some fresh clams at the grocery store and dice one up. I’ve never had a fish that didn’t go crazy for fresh clam.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a fish that wouldn't accept ROE.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp I just joined the wrasse owner’s club as of about 30 minutes ago. Can’t wait to get it into my reef.
Come now, this is the internet. PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! Besides were very pic orientated in this thread.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back