The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do love Coris wrasses it’s just their size isn’t so fun and most of the time they turn out to be ugly.
The only one I think is actually nice looking is gaimard but only as a mature female,

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I meant with Large Coris a Coris gaimard forgot that name lol so I just put large coris.

I think the only ones that don’t turn ugly are none of them cuz they all look ugly :face-in-clouds::face-with-tears-of-joy:
I think we need to get you a Coris venusta or Coris hewetii ;)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I meant with Large Coris a Coris gaimard forgot that name lol so I just put large coris.

I think the only ones that don’t turn ugly are none of them cuz they all look ugly :face-in-clouds::face-with-tears-of-joy:
Wow…..
They are some the most beautiful:

1685628771266.jpeg

1685628439441.jpeg
IMG_6732.jpeg

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I look at all these rare fairies I slowly begin to see how much I dislike them haha.
You find fairies that look almost identical but for like 3/4 of the price…

But that’s me being sour, I like these wrasses but every time I see a specimen they’re always really dull and only nice when displaying which knowing my luck is rare. I mean my lubbocki’s don’t display even nearly as often and my Naoko has only displayed 2 times in the last year or two.
Totally agree. As far as getting them to display, try a mirror - for real, it works for that! My rosy scale fairy and my melanurus have been nonstop displaying at the mirror I placed recently to keep their focus off the new orangeback. I took it down in the evening to give them a break and not wear themselves out, lol... Great news is, I finally figured out where the orangeback has been hiding from them - in the big colony of clove polyps! Smart fish - he has been getting more brave coming out to grab food, then zipping right back in there if the other 2 spot him. He also darkens his colors when he hides, then brightens back up when he comes out. Very interesting. I tried to see if he has any ripped fins or anything last night, and it looks like POSSIBLY on his tail fin a little bit, but it was hard to tell. Otherwise he still looks good. I was worried he may be losing weight from being scared to come out and eat, but so far I think he's quick enough to get enough food. I've upped feedings to help.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also these are wild photos. In aquarium with the lighting and camera they would be sooo stunning!!
1685629053622.jpeg
Totally agree! What is that blue and red one? I absolutely love the coris wrasses, but they get wayyy too big for my tank. Maybe in the future when I win the lottery and have a huge tank built into a wall. (Guess I'd need to play the lottery first... hahahah).

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree! What is that blue and red one? I absolutely love the coris wrasses, but they get wayyy too big for my tank. Maybe in the future when I win the lottery and have a huge tank built into a wall. (Guess I'd need to play the lottery first... hahahah).
That is one of @i cant think s suggestions coris hewetti

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. As far as getting them to display, try a mirror - for real, it works for that! My rosy scale fairy and my melanurus have been nonstop displaying at the mirror I placed recently to keep their focus off the new orangeback. I took it down in the evening to give them a break and not wear themselves out, lol... Great news is, I finally figured out where the orangeback has been hiding from them - in the big colony of clove polyps! Smart fish - he has been getting more brave coming out to grab food, then zipping right back in there if the other 2 spot him. He also darkens his colors when he hides, then brightens back up when he comes out. Very interesting. I tried to see if he has any ripped fins or anything last night, and it looks like POSSIBLY on his tail fin a little bit, but it was hard to tell. Otherwise he still looks good. I was worried he may be losing weight from being scared to come out and eat, but so far I think he's quick enough to get enough food. I've upped feedings to help.
That sounds awesome. I would love to see that. When I put a mirror up my foxface has a freak out and I have to take it down before it hurts itself or something else.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of @i cant think s suggestions coris hewetti
His suggestion of an ugly one? What?! No way! lol My favorite is coris aygula (twin spot/clown wrasse). The juveniles are insanely pretty to me (I have 2 dalmatians, maybe it's something about spots that I like, lol) - but even the adult breeding males are beautful. Not one I'd keep in an aquarium unfortunately due to how big they get, but my LFS had a very tiny one (like 1") and I was SO tempted. I'd just hate to have to rehome it when it got to be too large and mean.
clown-wrasse-coris-aygula-juvenile.jpg
clown-wrasse-coris-aygula-adult.jpg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His suggestion of an ugly one? What?! No way! lol My favorite is coris aygula (twin spot/clown wrasse). The juveniles are insanely pretty to me (I have 2 dalmatians, maybe it's something about spots that I like, lol) - but even the adult breeding males are beautful. Not one I'd keep in an aquarium unfortunately due to how big they get, but my LFS had a very tiny one (like 1") and I was SO tempted. I'd just hate to have to rehome it when it got to be too large and mean.
clown-wrasse-coris-aygula-juvenile.jpg
clown-wrasse-coris-aygula-adult.jpg
I thought you said you weren’t posting an ugly one ;):squinting-face-with-tongue:

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds awesome. I would love to see that. When I put a mirror up my foxface has a freak out and I have to take it down before it hurts itself or something else.
It has been really cool to watch - I've never actually seen my super mellow melanurus do it. His fins are gorgeous. And the rosy scale changes to a bright flaming red on his fins, his back half of his body lightens up a lot, and the blue edges of his tail fin and anal fin stand out so much more. I can't believe how fast he's grown - I think probably at minimum 4" now, and I believe that's full mature size for them? I wish he'd leave the orangeback alone. I didn't think he'd even see him as competition because he's a lot smaller, but I hope they work it out. If the little guy can hang in there until the end of the month, maybe the move will help rearrange all the territories. I'd take the mirror down if a fish was freaking out like your foxface too - I feel bad when they go bonkers and would also worry about it getting hurt.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also these are wild photos. In aquarium with the lighting and camera they would be sooo stunning!!
1685629053622.jpeg
Ok fine I forgot about hewetti….but then that’s it no more :winking-face-with-tongue:

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a guess at what point I should start worrying about my pearly wrasse that has been MIA since she dove into the sandbed on the 20th? I'm really starting to get nervous that she hasn't eaten and is wasting away, or worse, already died and got cleaned up by the CUC. :(

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think maybe an eye exam is in order? LOL! jk Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. :p
Oh yes it is, take @i cant think for instance, he thinks these are dull
1685630904671.png

There are 3 things in this thread that will never be forgotten, Aaron doesn’t like almost any flashers or fairies, I don’t like almost any coris, and @Slocke likes anthias over wrasse :winking-face-with-tongue::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a guess at what point I should start worrying about my pearly wrasse that has been MIA since she dove into the sandbed on the 20th? I'm really starting to get nervous that she hasn't eaten and is wasting away, or worse, already died and got cleaned up by the CUC. :(
How long ago was she added and how active was she? She might still be hiding, but if it’s a fish that is usually always out that you can see, then something isn’t adding up. I wouldn’t say she’s gone cuz margaritaceus like other Halichoeres will hide in the sand bed from time to time, but I’d keep on the look out for disrupted sand bits.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes it is, take @i cant think for instance, he thinks these are dull
1685630904671.png

There are 3 things in this thread that will never be forgotten, Aaron doesn’t like almost any flashers or fairies, I don’t like almost any coris, and @Slocke likes anthias over wrasse :winking-face-with-tongue::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I don't actually prefer anthias obviously. I do really like the one I have (and lets be honest that my $70 anthias is far far prettier than those $900).
Also from someone who edits photos to oblivion. That is one massively edited photo Ethan. Finally lets not forget how you only like wrasse that cost at least $200.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also from someone who edits photos to oblivion. That is one massively edited photo Ethan. Finally lets not forget how you only like wrasse that cost at least $200
Ooooooooh that was salty :face-with-tears-of-joy: that’s not my photo that’s @SaltyT ’s….you gonna take it up with her :winking-face-with-tongue::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back