The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasse ID help please! This fish was sold to me as a female balteatus. It's tough to find pictures of females. And am I correct in assuming that balteatus fairy wrasse are also called girdled fairy wrasse? She's very quick and hard to get a good picture of. White belly, some orange on the head. Maybe a little black in the top fin. I was hoping for a male but I'm ok with the female as I've learned that she will change to a male as long as there are no other balteatus in the tank. If there is another thread or place that I should pose this question, please let me know. Thanks! :)
I have one, great fish always out with no fear either. Mine was female with less color than your, she is gaining it now. great find

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse Bonded Pair (named the Salamanca Twins)
had them for ~8 months
Aquarium May 2024-10 - Copy.jpg

Aquarium May 2024-31.jpg

Aquarium May 2024-3 - Copy.jpg

Aquarium May 2024-29.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one is like a foot long
Yep! I love them because of their size. Definitely good for adding to the rockwork, I bet it’s at least 6 inches wide too.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse Bonded Pair (named the Salamanca Twins)
had them for ~8 months
Aquarium May 2024-10 - Copy.jpg

Aquarium May 2024-31.jpg

Aquarium May 2024-3 - Copy.jpg

Aquarium May 2024-29.jpg
Gotta love female Blue Stars - Soon they’ll be a pair. Just gotta wait for the transition to start on the larger of the two ;)

AndyJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Looking for some advice/tips for successful quarantine of my yellow coris wrasse. My first question is about sand or lack thereof in the quarantine tank. Is it necessary to have a different option to replace sand? Mine keeps wedging himself between the pvc pipes and bottom of the tank. I think he may be causing irritation or injury to the base of his pectoral fins because of this. See the picture. Unless that’sa disease that I’m completely unaware of?
DFB3967D-0EB1-4F9F-A51D-24669CD626C4.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Looking for some advice/tips for successful quarantine of my yellow coris wrasse. My first question is about sand or lack thereof in the quarantine tank. Is it necessary to have a different option to replace sand? Mine keeps wedging himself between the pvc pipes and bottom of the tank. I think he may be causing irritation or injury to the base of his pectoral fins because of this. See the picture. Unless that’sa disease that I’m completely unaware of?
Was he just bent for that picture? Looks like UNWD

AndyJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was he just bent for that picture? Looks like UNWD
Not sure, happened to get the pic just as he went in his side like that. His body doesn’t seem to be bent when he’s swimming around to eat. I’ll definitely pay more attention to that next feeding.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow wrasse commonly get uronema and that red spot could be it.

For sand I suggest getting a plastic or glass tub and filling it a couple inches of sand. It won’t absorb much copper.

canjosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for input on a missing Splendid Pintail, C. isosceles. I’m afraid he’s a goner, but holding out hope. I added him to a fairly docile tank a couple weeks ago. He took one lap around the tank, looked fine, didn’t really look stressed. He disappeared into the rock work (I have a lot of hiding places). I haven’t seen him a single time since. I’m thinking he cocooned up and never had the courage to come out of hiding and subsequently starved. This is distressing to me as I’ve only lost 1 other fish in 6ish months, a Banggai that was picked on by the remaining Banggai. The other fish in the 135g tank are:

Royal Gramma (sometime tries to intimidate, usually unsuccessfully)
Magnificent foxface
Whitetail bristletooth tang (small-ish), added same time as the missing Pintail
Midas blenny
Yasha goby
Court jester goby
Banggai
H. chrysus x 2 juveniles

Any obvious incompatibilities? Is this an individual fish issue or are Splendid Pintails particularly prone to a failed acclimation? I’d really like to successfully keep more than one Cirrhilabrus, so I was thinking the Pintail is pretty peaceful and likely to work with future additions, but I’m certainly open to suggestions.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for input on a missing Splendid Pintail, C. isosceles. I’m afraid he’s a goner, but holding out hope. I added him to a fairly docile tank a couple weeks ago. He took one lap around the tank, looked fine, didn’t really look stressed. He disappeared into the rock work (I have a lot of hiding places). I haven’t seen him a single time since. I’m thinking he cocooned up and never had the courage to come out of hiding and subsequently starved. This is distressing to me as I’ve only lost 1 other fish in 6ish months, a Banggai that was picked on by the remaining Banggai. The other fish in the 135g tank are:

Royal Gramma (sometime tries to intimidate, usually unsuccessfully)
Magnificent foxface
Whitetail bristletooth tang (small-ish), added same time as the missing Pintail
Midas blenny
Yasha goby
Court jester goby
Banggai
H. chrysus x 2 juveniles

Any obvious incompatibilities? Is this an individual fish issue or are Splendid Pintails particularly prone to a failed acclimation? I’d really like to successfully keep more than one Cirrhilabrus, so I was thinking the Pintail is pretty peaceful and likely to work with future additions, but I’m certainly open to suggestions.
If I’m honest, it could be that the white tail being aggressive whilst you’re away from the tank could’ve stressed the Isosceles.
How long ago were they added?

canjosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m honest, it could be that the white tail being aggressive whilst you’re away from the tank could’ve stressed the Isosceles.
How long ago were they added?
17 days now. The tang seemed to go through a normal adjustment period, where he was timid for a week or so before he’d really actively swim around the tank. He’s fairly small.

Assuming that bullying is the culprit, am I better off with a different Cirrhilabrus species? At very least, I’ve learned that I should’ve used an acclimation box.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17 days now. The tang seemed to go through a normal adjustment period, where he was timid for a week or so before he’d really actively swim around the tank. He’s fairly small.

Assuming that bullying is the culprit, am I better off with a different Cirrhilabrus species? At very least, I’ve learned that I should’ve used an acclimation box.
Pintails are real whimps. I’ve had two and both eventually were pushed around and withered away. IMO they are for a docile community tank. There are plenty of other wrasses to enjoy. @Slocke will post the compatibility vhart so you don’t get into trouble. Take a look at the brunneus to start off with.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pintails are real whimps. I’ve had two and both eventually were pushed around and withered away. IMO they are for a docile community tank. There are plenty of other wrasses to enjoy. @Slocke will post the compatibility vhart so you don’t get into trouble. Take a look at the brunneus to start off with.
My male is far from a whimp. He chases other wrasse around the tank all the time. Lol

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d suggest some in the orange shade
IMG_5015.png

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back