The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 180g tank with very aggressive eaters (aka pigs): tangs, foxface, several lyretail anthias, chromis, clowns, royal gramma, Melanurus wrasse, McCosker flasher etc and just bought a matted pair of blue star leopard wrasses. Just got them in QT and they are eating frozen well (mysis and coppepods).

However, I notice that they take their time looking at the food before they go for it, one peace at the time.

I am concerned they might starve in my tank given the high flow and aggressive eating behavior of all the other fish. One cube of mysis and not one single shrimp will get ti the sandbed as the fish dart to it.

Can the bluestar leopards become aggressive eaters overtime and aggressively go after the food? My melanurus initially was shy but now is a pig like all the others.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 180g tank with very aggressive eaters (aka pigs): tangs, foxface, several lyretail anthias, chromis, clowns, royal gramma, Melanurus wrasse, McCosker flasher etc and just bought a matted pair of blue star leopard wrasses. Just got them in QT and they are eating frozen well (mysis and coppepods).

However, I notice that they take their time looking at the food before they go for it, one peace at the time.

I am concerned they might starve in my tank given the high flow and aggressive eating behavior of all the other fish. One cube of mysis and not one single shrimp will get ti the sandbed as the fish dart to it.

Can the bluestar leopards become aggressive eaters overtime and aggressively go after the food? My melanurus initially was shy but now is a pig like all the others.

How long have you had them? In my limited experience leopards can become just as aggressive of feeders as other wrasses. It often just takes more time to get them that way, which is why QT is very important with them IMO. They don't need any competition when they're not acclimated to captive life and not eating well.

My Potter's leopard wrasse has been in the tank for 5 years with a host of other wrasses and tangs that are very aggressive eaters. He is one of the biggest pigs and even eats nori aggressively.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them? In my limited experience leopards can become just as aggressive of feeders as other wrasses. It often just takes more time to get them that way, which is why QT is very important with them IMO. They don't need any competition when they're not acclimated to captive life and not eating well.

My Potter's leopard wrasse has been in the tank for 5 years with a host of other wrasses and tangs that are very aggressive eaters. He is one of the biggest pigs and even eats nori aggressively.

They have been in the QT for the past 3 days. But do they eat out of a high flow water column?

Beth Villmow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread! We LOVE our wrasses too. Great pics everyone and Brett, that pic of your male Earlei is fantastic!

Here are some pics of a some of our wrasses:

P. Angulatus

Terelabrus sp2

Female C. johnsoni

Male C. johnsoni

C. rhomboidalis

Male M. bipartitus

C. lineatus

Male M. kuiteri

Male Paracheilinus octotaenia
Love those pics! I only have 2 so far but have definitely fallen for them!

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. If that is the case I will keep them. Would not want to put these wonderful specimens in my tank only to have them starve to death.

Took this a few minutes ago. 2 1/2 cubes of food gone in less than a minute.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine does. I'll see if I have an old video of him, if not I'll make one a little later when I feed.
My Potters does as well. I have mainly SPS with high flow and mine is a pig. He's more aggressive than some of my Cirrhilabrus, including my big Lineatus. I would just use acclimation box when you add them to check any aggression from others.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous wrasse collection. Which ones are they all?

Thanks but nothing like yours must be ...go ahead and get that Nursalim and I'll take it off you hands if he's too aggressive with the anthias! :p

My DT is 72x24x21 and my wrasse list is :

C. lineatus
C. laboutei
C. jordani
C. roseafacia (don't try this at home)
C. exquisitus
C. isoscoles
H. melasmapomas
M. geofroyii
P. lineaopunctatus
P. attenuatus
P. flavianalis
P. octotaenia

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back