The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And they would look good in your tank.

For sure ;Joyful and yours! ...just too much for a flasher and I've already got an eight line. With 6 fairies already I'm gettin' picky. I think an earlei is the only one I would like to add right now....gotta save my pennies.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For sure ;Joyful and yours! ...just too much for a flasher and I've already got an eight line. With 6 fairies already I'm gettin' picky. I think an earlei is the only one I would like to add right now....gotta save my pennies.
Agree on price! Earlei is next on my list but may need bigger tank! Ug

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my black leopard out of the blue a while back which was a real bummer. I have since added 2 fairys to the tank to wrap up the stock and everyone is getting along splendidly.
C. bathyphilus & C. rhomboidalis.
qUxDh6R.jpg

XmeT26g.jpg

39Y15ot.jpg

WbP32Q5.jpg

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time posting here. Got a beautiful new fish today! Blue Star Leopard wrasse juvenile about two inches long, very fat and healthy looking with great colour. Watched it greedily eat frozen mysis shrimp today in store so hopefully I’ll have success. Also have a small Lime wrasse and a Solar Fairy wrasse :)

Could not get a pic because as soon as it went into the tank I bet you guys know what it did lol

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Blue star leopard wrasse particularly prone to parasites (ice, flukes...). I bought a bonded pair and they have been in my Quarantine tank for observation for about two weeks. I see no scratching, flashing, or other abnormal behaviour. Both are eating well and readily come out as soon as I am in the room so I am not thinking about medicating the tank, even though I usually treat prophilacticaly with Prazi and Copper all my fish. However, I have not had a lot of luck with wrasses and copper in the past so would not want to kill this Wonderfull pair. Any advice?

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Blue star leopard wrasse particularly prone to parasites (ice, flukes...). I bought a bonded pair and they have been in my Quarantine tank for observation for about two weeks. I see no scratching, flashing, or other abnormal behaviour. Both are eating well and readily come out as soon as I am in the room so I am not thinking about medicating the tank, even though I usually treat prophilacticaly with Prazi and Copper all my fish. However, I have not had a lot of luck with wrasses and copper in the past so would not want to kill this Wonderfull pair. Any advice?
I’ve read they don’t like copper. I’ll keep an eye out for signs of flukes/parasites on mine.

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put them in your tank and enjoy!

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my new leopard wrasse woke up this morning in his new tank and immediately scoffed down a bunch of garlic soaked mysis. Beautiful fish, not even remotely shy or aggressive and the new fish seem to have accepted it no problems. Still a long way to go (years) before I would claim success but so far so good. And now for the worst pics ever taken ever lol
45DDE38B-C3BA-4BD0-9866-F15F86461E08.jpeg
A368BEB1-B955-4EBC-A6DC-B4C8B6D4F44B.jpeg

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 7-20-18 I received a shipment from Live Aquaria that consisted of a Melanurus Wrasse.
When I placed the order it was suppose to be a male. Of course they sent me a female. She is a great fish that is doing quite well to this day. Tons of personality. I’ve done a lot of reading on the likelihood of her changing into a male at some point in time. Everything I’ve read says she will more than likely change at some point, and her colors and patterns will change when that time comes. So far as I can tell there’s been no change at all since I purchased her. Still has the spot on her dorsal also. Does anyone have experience with this particular Wrasse changing from female to male?
If so, how long did it take. Months? Years? Never?
I’m just curious if it will ever happen. If anyone has any opinions or insight that would be great!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 7-20-18 I received a shipment from Live Aquaria that consisted of a Melanurus Wrasse.
When I placed the order it was suppose to be a male. Of course they sent me a female. She is a great fish that is doing quite well to this day. Tons of personality. I’ve done a lot of reading on the likelihood of her changing into a male at some point in time. Everything I’ve read says she will more than likely change at some point, and her colors and patterns will change when that time comes. So far as I can tell there’s been no change at all since I purchased her. Still has the spot on her dorsal also. Does anyone have experience with this particular Wrasse changing from female to male?
If so, how long did it take. Months? Years? Never?
I’m just curious if it will ever happen. If anyone has any opinions or insight that would be great!

i don't have h. melanarus, but i do have h. chrysus and h. biocellatus. i've had them for a little less than a year. got both as young females and both have grown a lot and my biocellatus recently turned male. chrysus hasn't yet, but i'm sure it's coming. to give you a general idea

wrasses almost always transition to male, that's why it's a bad idea to try pairing wrasses

i just briefly browsed evolved's articles on wrasses and didn't see this, so it may not be accurate, but perhaps keeping more than 1 wrasse will hasten the transition?

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the forum and getting back in the hobby after almost two decades.

I have fell in love with wrasses, specifically leopard wrasses.

I currently have 3 regular leopards, 2 black leopards, 2 potter leopards, and 1 female blue star.

Here's a picture of my larger potters. My kids have named her Sunset. Will try to snap some more pictures tomorrow.
potters leopard.jpg

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't have h. melanarus, but i do have h. chrysus and h. biocellatus. i've had them for a little less than a year. got both as young females and both have grown a lot and my biocellatus recently turned male. chrysus hasn't yet, but i'm sure it's coming. to give you a general idea

wrasses almost always transition to male, that's why it's a bad idea to try pairing wrasses

i just briefly browsed evolved's articles on wrasses and didn't see this, so it may not be accurate, but perhaps keeping more than 1 wrasse will hasten the transition?
This is all could find on the forum. Evolved responded to this back in 2017. She’s the only Wrasse I have. I knew better than to get two. Especially if they’ll both likely turn into males.
That would be a bad situation. Thanks for the reply.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all could find on the forum. Evolved responded to this back in 2017. She’s the only Wrasse I have. I knew better than to get two. Especially if they’ll both likely turn into males.
That would be a bad situation. Thanks for the reply.

what size is your tank? i'd get another halichoeres if i were you, they're awesome fish.

melanarus seems likely to eat shrimp and snails and what not, but my two seem very invert safe so far. i just added a tiny peppermint shrimp the other day and they haven't bothered it at all.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size is your tank? i'd get another halichoeres if i were you, they're awesome fish.

melanarus seems likely to eat shrimp and snails and what not, but my two seem very invert safe so far. i just added a tiny peppermint shrimp the other day and they haven't bothered it at all.
Tanks a 54 gallon corner style aquarium. It’s not packed with rock though. Mixed Reef, LPS, some softies and several rock flower anemones. I don’t think I could squeeze two in there. Lol. I do have a 140 and 240 in storage, but I downsized substantially. I needed something easier to manage with two young children. Someday I’ll go bigger again. Haha. She is really an awesome fish though. Transition or no transition! It is kind of bummer having a smaller tank. All the fish I love and used to keep are way to big for my tank. I do miss having large angels and tangs. Someday maybe again.

Back