The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All,

I’m looking at the Cirrhilabrus compatibility chart and it seems like C. jordani and C.lineatus are far apart enough that they should be compatible, right? I currently have an initial phase male CL but I would like to add a terminal phase male CJ. Will that work out? Also, should I get a male/female pair of CJ or just a single male CJ?
How big is your tank? It should not be a issue to add one Jordani but I would recommend acclimation box when adding it. Wrasse do not pair up and more than likely one of the will dominate the other and not end nicely.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A week ago yesterday I picked up two wrasses from my LFS. I got an exquisite fairy, and yellow fin flasher. After acclimation and in my observation QT they were both out swimming and ate right away. They were both a little timid but eating well. For a couple days. No immediate signs of disease, no rapid breathing etc. I have not seen the exquisite for almost a week. The flasher is out and about every day, eating like a pig. The tank is covered, no signs of an escape anywhere, and the flasher appears to be disease free. My observation tank is a fully cycled 29gal with rock sand and some macro algae. Should I keep watching or go searching for a body.
Cirrhilabrus do not bury themselves in the sand but I would double check for small holes in cover and outside around the tank again. Pick up a rock and look. But after a week of not seeing him, it may be gone. Do you have CUC in the tank? If so and he died they may have already disposed of carcus.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A week ago yesterday I picked up two wrasses from my LFS. I got an exquisite fairy, and yellow fin flasher. After acclimation and in my observation QT they were both out swimming and ate right away. They were both a little timid but eating well. For a couple days. No immediate signs of disease, no rapid breathing etc. I have not seen the exquisite for almost a week. The flasher is out and about every day, eating like a pig. The tank is covered, no signs of an escape anywhere, and the flasher appears to be disease free. My observation tank is a fully cycled 29gal with rock sand and some macro algae. Should I keep watching or go searching for a body.
I should also say that wrasse are also susceptible to internal parasites and flukes that are not always visible. So he may already have been on the downward spiral when you purchased him.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree with Gary. A week without seeing an Exquisite in a tank that small probably means his demise. Sorry to hear that!

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? It should not be a issue to add one Jordani but I would recommend acclimation box when adding it. Wrasse do not pair up and more than likely one of the will dominate the other and not end nicely.
Sorry forgot to mention that it’s a 100g tank. Thanks for suggesting the acclimation box.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus do not bury themselves in the sand but I would double check for small holes in cover and outside around the tank again. Pick up a rock and look. But after a week of not seeing him, it may be gone. Do you have CUC in the tank? If so and he died they may have already disposed of carcus.

Yes I know they don’t bury. And no clean up crew just some asterina stars and small bristle worms. I am aware of the potential/probability of flukes and worms. I try and give my wrasses a week to relax before treating unless there is an obvious sign/symptom

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much sand is needed per wrasse? I only added a partial sandbed on the end of my 180g peninsula tank that's~2ftx2ft. I've got a H. cosmetus, H. chrysus, and M. meleagris. Will they have enough sand space to live comfortably together?

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I will be doing some search and rescue. Fingers crossed we have a survivor.
Well that wrasse is MIA. I pulled the tank apart. He’s not in there, unless it died and was consumed by little 2” bristle worms, or it went in a whole in a rock and got stuck. There is also the jumping hypothesis but the tank is covered and I scoured the area no dead fish. Sucks, I hate loosing fish in especially when you can’t find a body or you have zero idea why.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. jordani and C.lineatus are far apart enough that they should be compatible, right?
No issue.
I currently have an initial phase male CL but I would like to add a terminal phase male CJ. Will that work out?
Should be fine.
Also, should I get a male/female pair of CJ or just a single male CJ?
Single, never pairs.
How much sand is needed per wrasse? I only added a partial sandbed on the end of my 180g peninsula tank that's~2ftx2ft. I've got a H. cosmetus, H. chrysus, and M. meleagris. Will they have enough sand space to live comfortably together?
There's no hard set numbers for this, but that's plenty of area.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that wrasse is MIA. I pulled the tank apart. He’s not in there, unless it died and was consumed by little 2” bristle worms, or it went in a whole in a rock and got stuck. There is also the jumping hypothesis but the tank is covered and I scoured the area no dead fish. Sucks, I hate loosing fish in especially when you can’t find a body or you have zero idea why.

I've forgotten from your earlier post, do you have an overflow? If so, look there. That is a common place for jumpers to end up.

TNreeferBX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got all of these guys from my dope lfs, soon i’ll most likely be removing the female flame to avoid future issues, i also have an orange spot filefish on hold to go with these guys

B0B36817-6F64-4634-87E5-825B0E4DFB88.png 30973E5E-BE88-416B-BFE2-A4F44CCBE69D.png 2A39BADF-83F9-445A-ADD1-B39A50B1D102.png 2CE9A4C9-132F-4E7F-8D55-66061ABE3D97.png B43F38EF-F664-457C-BE3C-4AEB4EE274EA.png

TNreeferBX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in TN do you live. I'd faint if my LFS got a half banded in. Orange spotted potted file fish?!
TN stands for throggs neck i live in the bronx in ny hahaha, but yeah my lfs is the best never get my fish or coral from other places

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TN stands for throggs neck i live in the bronx in ny hahaha, but yeah my lfs is the best never get my fish or coral from other places

Dang, I was about to plan a road trip to somewhere in TN.....the Bronx is a little too far! :D

TNreeferBX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I was about to plan a road trip to somewhere in TN.....the Bronx is a little too far! :D
I used to go all over the tristate area looking for shops around here just to have good quality fish and coral. i use the reef shop in morris park. anthony doesn’t keep too many fish on the floor but always has some nice stuff to look at especially corals. he really comes through with the ordering of fish which is what i like the most. i went in on a sunday and talked to him about the male half banded, i got a call that friday it was in the shop ready for me to pick it up. i got those flames over a month earlier when i went in for a thing of purigen and he offered me the pair on the spot for $300 cash. honestly my favorite place to get anything by a mile

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM coral in NJ is a great place. Full quarantine and they feed pellets and mix frozen so they eat when you get them. They also keep fish in 1.026 salinity to make the transition easier. They are big with mail order. Give them a list of fish and when available they will get them and prepare them for you

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back