The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about these 3 together? I do have a 2" sandbed, lots of rock work.

Halichoeres melanurus
Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Cirrhilabrus lyukyuensis

I saw where melanarus is generally peaceful with other halichoeres, but also with flashers and fairies? The lyukyuensis I didn't see listed, hopefully not because it isn't reef safe.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lyukyuensis

It's not there because that is an old name no longer in use. The correct name is C. ryukyuensis. It's in the cyanopleura complex.

CirrhilabrusComplexes.PNG

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually "lyukyuensis" was just a bad translation from a handwritten field note long ago which got propagated into a lot of places. "ryukyuensis" was always correct, as the Ryukyu Islands are a real place.

Also agree those 3 are fine together.

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually "lyukyuensis" was just a bad translation from a handwritten field note long ago which got propagated into a lot of places. "ryukyuensis" was always correct, as the Ryukyu Islands are a real place.

Also agree those 3 are fine together.

Awesome, thanks for your reply. Did some looking into the Ryukyu Islands and came across this interesting article.

U-tokyo.ac.jp › s › utrip › pdfPDF
The past, present and future of Ballast Island (Ryukyu Islands) – an insight into coral ...

Still have to finish reading it but glad they're compatible!

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep! very nice tank! looks really great!
unfortunately i can’t figure out how people can keep that many fish together.... it doesn’t work in mine!

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep! very nice tank! looks really great!
unfortunately i can’t figure out how people can keep that many fish together.... it doesn’t work in mine!
Thanks, my philosophy was to give plenty of hiding places and then to get the fish in as fast as my filtration can cope with and every fish was bought from a couple of my LFS so we’re hand picked and observed... I put entire groups in together if I could, dwarf angels together at once, anampases all at once, the leopards together, all the Halichoeres, the fairies were more sporadic as they we’re harder to source and I tried to stock from less to most aggressive... i was introducing 5 - 6 fish at a time to start, a few weeks apart.. I also don’t quarantine anything, my methods may not work for everyone and I appreciate i buck the trend in how I add fish, but it’s thought through and with an end goal to work towards, its mainly done to reduce territorial behaviour and to spread any aggression. I also don’t use acclimatisation boxes, the fish just get put in... i will also feed very heavily, prodominantly frozen and as many as 6 times a day, when I stock, this then gets reduced back to my usual 4 times. I have lost a couple along the way, a melanarus and Katherine to jumping and I just couldn’t get a Choati to eat...

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no, no, no! :D

Only one of any particular species of flasher or fairy. They will all eventually transition to males. They do not pair like some species of fish do.

Other flashers that might interest you...P. attenuatus, P. flavianalis, P. angulatus, P. rubricaudalis, P. lineopunctatus. I have 4 flashers in my tank.

Is there a good place to purchases wrasses if there isn't an LFS in my area? Several of these were out of stock in the places I checked, but paracheilinus angulatus and paracheilinus attenautus especially I was interested in, as long as they get along with cirrhilabrus lyukyuensis, halichoeres malanurus, and most importantly paracheilinus mccoskeri since I have these three now (and am enthralled with) and mccoskeri is of the same genus. From reading the article I believe more paracheilinus would be okay in a 125G.

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good place to purchases wrasses if there isn't an LFS in my area? Several of these were out of stock in the places I checked, but paracheilinus angulatus and paracheilinus attenautus especially I was interested in, as long as they get along with cirrhilabrus lyukyuensis, halichoeres malanurus, and most importantly paracheilinus mccoskeri since I have these three now (and am enthralled with) and mccoskeri is of the same genus. From reading the article I believe more paracheilinus would be okay in a 125G.

divers den!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back