The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry he didn’t make it. I think that’s a good plan to get a Radiant that’s been conditioned for 30 days. It took me 7 years before I finally got one that survived shipping. My Radiant came from TSM Aquatics all of their fish go through a 30 day QT.

The first one I had was very healthy and from TSM. Doing well for a month until he jumped through a crack one night. I keep bugging TSM on when they will get another:)

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOA. Was a radiant. I don't think I will try mail ordering one of these unless it has been through 4 weeks of QT and eating like a pig. Not really for disease prevention but so it has been in a stable place for a month before taking another plane ride. Disappointing as it was a beautiful specimen.
20210622_123621.jpg

Sorry he didn’t make it. I think that’s a good plan to get a Radiant that’s been conditioned for 30 days. It took me 7 years before I finally got one that survived shipping. My Radiant came from TSM Aquatics all of their fish go through a 30 day QT.
Is this a pretty common theme with halichoeres wrasses in general? I ordered a radiant and a yellow canary off a pretty reputable store online that I've had good experiences with. The radiant hid in the sand for 2 days before I found it dead on the sandbed, and the yellow canary did well for 3 days before disappearing, presumably dying in the rocks somewhere. The other fish and inverts I received in the same order are all doing well and eating. I figured I was just unlucky but from research and talking to my LFS it seems sand burrowing wrasses have a tendency to not ship well?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a pretty common theme with halichoeres wrasses in general? I ordered a radiant and a yellow canary off a pretty reputable store online that I've had good experiences with. The radiant hid in the sand for 2 days before I found it dead on the sandbed, and the yellow canary did well for 3 days before disappearing, presumably dying in the rocks somewhere. The other fish and inverts I received in the same order are all doing well and eating. I figured I was just unlucky but from research and talking to my LFS it seems sand burrowing wrasses have a tendency to not ship well?
Sand burying wrasses don't ship as well as other wrasses. Radiants are very poor shippers. You may have better luck if you have the option to have the wrasse held at the shipping hub for pick up instead of it being loaded onto a delivery truck.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand burying wrasses don't ship as well as other wrasses. Radiants are very poor shippers. You may have better luck if you have the option to have the wrasse held at the shipping hub for pick up instead of it being loaded onto a delivery truck.
I'm going to have my LFS bring some in instead of getting them online. I figure they'll probably handle a 40 minute drive much better than 16-18 hours on a plane/warehouse/delivery truck. Fingers crossed.

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to get some recommendations on a third and final wrasse for my 65 gal. Finally caught and rehomed my 6line so I could add these guys…carpenter and leopard. Not sure if male or female..anyone ?
25A88462-BF88-4A98-8AF2-0D428E0B60D3.jpeg

Attachments

• 5462715C-3454-4702-813C-5C82CD13454C.jpeg
    5462715C-3454-4702-813C-5C82CD13454C.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 37

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to get some recommendations on a third and final wrasse for my 65 gal. Finally caught and rehomed my 6line so I could add these guys…carpenter and leopard. Not sure if male or female..anyone ?

Hooded flame (C. bathyphilus), Vivien, rhomboidalis, lineatus, pintail. The rubrisquamis is really pretty but can be a bully, no personal experience with it.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on catching your 6 line! That's not easy! Now you can add a flasher wrasse, or leopard, or one of the smaller fairy wrasses, or a possum wrasse - you have options now that your 6 line is gone.
Your Carpenter's is a male and your Ornate Leopard looks like a female (I think you asked about this)

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on catching your 6 line! That's not easy! Now you can add a flasher wrasse, or leopard, or one of the smaller fairy wrasses, or a possum wrasse - you have options now that your 6 line is gone.
Your Carpenter's is a male and your Ornate Leopard looks like a female (I think you asked about this)
Yes I did, thank you. Got lucky I think catching the 6 line, used a TankMatez trap, worked very well ! Some pics here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/catching-a-6-line.839132/page-4#post-9098574

So all those you mentioned would be compatible with my current leopard and carpenter wrasse ? I always thought adding two of the same type, ie..leopard, was not a good idea ? I just put those 2 in less than a week ago, so they’re still feeling their way around the tank…no real aggression from the other fish other than the usual …butt out, my territory…from the flame angel. And even that is subsiding now after a few days.

Last edited:

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooded flame (C. bathyphilus), Vivien, rhomboidalis, lineatus, pintail. The rubrisquamis is really pretty but can be a bully, no personal experience with it.
Done with bullies after the 6 line, learned my lesson…want only fish that’ll get along with my current leopard and carpenter wrasse ! Do NOT want to have to break out that trap again !

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOA. Was a radiant. I don't think I will try mail ordering one of these unless it has been through 4 weeks of QT and eating like a pig. Not really for disease prevention but so it has been in a stable place for a month before taking another plane ride. Disappointing as it was a beautiful specimen.
20210622_123621.jpg

Do you have a LFS? my LFS got 4 of them, one DOA, two I bought and were easy to QT and doing great. The other was looking great at the LFS.

I am not sure why they can make it alive better to a LFS then our houses.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some LFS, like mine, can go straight to wholesalers that buy direct from collectors and not have to go through several trans-shippers. I've asked mine to bring in radiants or viviens. He mentioned something about CITES permits changing so fish may be more available. I don't know. I do think the smaller radiant ship better. At least with the 3 I have ordered.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some LFS, like mine, can go straight to wholesalers that buy direct from collectors and not have to go through several trans-shippers. I've asked mine to bring in radiants or viviens. He mentioned something about CITES permits changing so fish may be more available. I don't know. I do think the smaller radiant ship better. At least with the 3 I have ordered.

Ya they were all very small sizes. The two I got have grown quickly though.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did, thank you. Got lucky I think catching the 6 line, used a TankMatez trap, worked very well ! Some pics here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/catching-a-6-line.839132/page-4#post-9098574

So all those you mentioned would be compatible with my current leopard and carpenter wrasse ? I always thought adding two of the same type, ie..leopard, was not a good idea ? I just put those 2 in less than a week ago, so they’re still feeling their way around the tank…no real aggression from the other fish other than the usual …butt out, my territory…from the flame angel. And even that is subsiding now after a few days.
You can have more than one flasher wrasse and leopard as long as it's a different species than what you currently have. If you have more than one flasher wrasse you'll get to see them display at each other. A Linespot, Filamented, or Blue flasher would make a nice addition to your Carpenter's. My Diamond tail displays for my Linespot and my female fairy wrasses every morning and evening when the lights ramp. Here's a quick pic I snapped of him displaying this a.m.
Diamondtail.jpg

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have more than one flasher wrasse and leopard as long as it's a different species than what you currently have. If you have more than one flasher wrasse you'll get to see them display at each other. A Linespot, Filamented, or Blue flasher would make a nice addition to your Carpenter's. My Diamond tail displays for my Linespot and my female fairy wrasses every morning and evening when the lights ramp. Here's a quick pic I snapped of him displaying this a.m.
Diamondtail.jpg
Good info, thx salty….beautiful wrasse too !

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm keen to know what your thinking was here? I also have had halicoeres wrasses glass surf in the past, and have a tomini tang currently doing it. I don't have a ground probe.
Can't really transfer human feels to fish but just thinking about a low-grade irritant that could be bothering the fish or making it anxious. Can a fish get anxious??? Maybe stressed. They may also be fixated on their image in the glass but you would think that would fade with time.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really transfer human feels to fish but just thinking about a low-grade irritant that could be bothering the fish or making it anxious. Can a fish get anxious??? Maybe stressed. They may also be fixated on their image in the glass but you would think that would fade with time.

Definitely something worth considering; checking for stray voltage and seeing if eliminating it changes the behaviour

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back