The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it seems my black leopard has passed. I could never catch my red coris unless I tore down the tank, and i have not seen the black leopard in 4 days.

I know better then to go digging in the sand, but man I'm ticked as the black leopard is one of my favorites, and one I can't seem to keep long term. This is my third try at the black. Firts one wasted away as I could never get it to eat(it was very tiny too), second was a jumper, and now this one.

I still have hopes, but not much at this point. I have had leopard in the past stay in the sandbed for a couple weeks, only to emerge like nothing happened and hungry, but my hopes are very low.

I'm so peeved at this point, I just might tear my reef apart today to catch him.
It’s a shame some things don’t work out… if you have a second tank running maybe you could try another black leopard but grow it out in that tank till it’s at a size it most likely won’t get too stressed by the coris. I’m hoping I can grow my blue star to Atleast 2” if not 3-4” before having to move it over to the larger tank so it has Atleast some change against my jade.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had to do it. My LFS had a nice 2.5 inch blue streak cleaner wrasse for $18. I just couldn't pass him up. I know they are difficult fish to keep due to their unusual diet choice of parasites. I dropped him in the tank and 3 other wrasses lined up for a cleaning check up. Such a cool fish. I hope I can care for him properly. He fits in perfectly with the other wrasse crew.
Awesome! My cleaner wrasse eats like a pig, doesn't eat dry foods though. If he won't eat I'd suggest feeding some quality frozen/live food. I'm still debating whether he's going to someone else or if I'm going to keep him. Watching him do his job and seeing fish actively looking for a good cleaning session is so cool, but he's also SO hyperactive.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black was about 3" when purchased, one of the largest leopards I have ever purchased. Certainly should not have been too stressed with another adult, but apparently it was.

I will for sure be finding out later today if it's dead or not.

Unfortunately I only have 1 tank. I gave up QTing many years ago. Just my own personal choice after loosing way to many to using QT as opposed to plop and drop(mostly stocked so this is a risk I'm willing to take specially with wrasses).

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping I don't have to rip my entire reef apart, but after the last time of trying to catch him, he was the last fish I caught. Elusive little sucker when he wants to be.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experiences with C. rubeus? I think it's also called social wrasse? My wrasse crew - except for the uncatchable cleaner - went to a bigger tank to make room for some smaller groups and pairs. My tank is now damsel and dottyback heaven. The least aggressive kinds :p

I just want one nice slightly larger eyecatcher in the upper regions. I'm afraid flasher wrasses are going to experience too much stress, plus I'm looking for a more bright red fish instead of orange. Rubeus is gorgeous imo and if it can handle a slightly more aggressive tank it'd be a great option.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping I don't have to rip my entire reef apart, but after the last time of trying to catch him, he was the last fish I caught. Elusive little sucker when he wants to be.
Do you have a fish trap? Something like this:
1641894997824.png

Drop some clam or masstick in and watch your wrasses dive in straight away.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experiences with C. rubeus? I think it's also called social wrasse? My wrasse crew - except for the uncatchable cleaner - went to a bigger tank to make room for some smaller groups and pairs. My tank is now damsel and dottyback heaven. The least aggressive kinds :p

I just want one nice slightly larger eyecatcher in the upper regions. I'm afraid flasher wrasses are going to experience too much stress, plus I'm looking for a more bright red fish instead of orange. Rubeus is gorgeous imo and if it can handle a slightly more aggressive tank it'd be a great option.
Should be fine. The red long finned ruby I had was an ******. Should be fine with the agressive nature of the damsels and dottyback.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a fish trap? Something like this:
1641894997824.png

Drop some clam or masstick in and watch your wrasses dive in straight away.
Tried one a few times now. He's just too skiddish to even atempt to look at a trap. Even tried a fly fishing rod with a tiny barbless fly hook. No luck, caught every fish in my tank except this one.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black was about 3" when purchased, one of the largest leopards I have ever purchased. Certainly should not have been too stressed with another adult, but apparently it was.

I will for sure be finding out later today if it's dead or not.

Unfortunately I only have 1 tank. I gave up QTing many years ago. Just my own personal choice after loosing way to many to using QT as opposed to plop and drop(mostly stocked so this is a risk I'm willing to take specially with wrasses).
I don’t QT either for the same reason, a shame that the black failed..

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t QT either for the same reason, a shame that the black failed..
I'm still hopeful, but just a tiny bit. I can still see the sand shifting where it dug in last, so there still a glimmer of hope. Guess I'll find out later today!

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried one a few times now. He's just too skiddish to even atempt to look at a trap. Even tried a fly fishing rod with a tiny barbless fly hook. No luck, caught every fish in my tank except this one.
Hmmm do you know where he sleeps? Could try to scoop him out at night.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it before to rehome a fish, it's just a daunting task, and really upset the delicate balance of the tank.

Not looking forward to it, but it needs to be done.

jpg001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 106 gallons (400 l) tank with a 45 gallons (170 l) decanter. The length is 3.94 feet (120 cm).
the current population:
2 Ocellaris clownfish
5 Blue Green Chromis
1 Banggai cardinalfish
I would like to introduce a solorensis wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis) or another Cirrhilabrus.
What is your opinion regarding the behavior with these fish?
Thank you

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black leopard is alive!!!!

I just had to know, so I fished her out of the sand. Low and behold, she's alive and well. Little skinny, but out and swimming right now. I'm sure that will change when the red wakes up, but at least I know when I get the red out, she will be out and about.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black leopard is alive!!!!

I just had to know, so I fished her out of the sand. Low and behold, she's alive and well. Little skinny, but out and swimming right now. I'm sure that will change when the red wakes up, but at least I know when I get the red out, she will be out and about.
This will continue to bother you. Move the rocks, get the coris out and enjoy your tank again.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will continue to bother you. Move the rocks, get the coris out and enjoy your tank again.
I agree with this, if you still wanted some red then there are plenty of Halichoeres that have the body shape of a coris but not as much the aggressive behaviour. A shame they don’t have quite so much red though, I mean the Radiant does have some red but not a whole lot (Their bodies are mainly black with the outlining of red, yellow and white).

doesitwork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, Can you pair a Hoeven wrasse with (already together) Red head solon/exquisite fairy wrasse?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this, if you still wanted some red then there are plenty of Halichoeres that have the body shape of a coris but not as much the aggressive behaviour. A shame they don’t have quite so much red though, I mean the Radiant does have some red but not a whole lot (Their bodies are mainly black with the outlining of red, yellow and white).
I would take a radiant over red every day of the week.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back