The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just snatched these photos of my wrasses, still trying to get a good updated photo of my two lubbockis together.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You have some beautiful pets. I love the yellow streak on your fish. Do your lubbocks do well with the other tank mates?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some beautiful pets. I love the yellow streak on your fish. Do your lubbocks do well with the other tank mates?
Surprisingly yes, even stranger on how the Melanomarginatus is meant to be aggressive but doesn’t care about the other guys and instead gets dominated by the Cebu lubbock. The Jade and Iridis have on and off fights often having the Jade win. It’s unusual but all of my wrasses (And the Naoko in my nano) are peaceful even though they’re on the aggressive side of the chart.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not think it would be this hard getting good pics of my wrasse, but it has definitely proven to be a challenge. Here are a few shots of my new McCosker wrasse. He doesn't flash much being the only wrasse in the tank, only seems to do it for a few seconds after I've fed the tank... but as soon as I grab my camera and put it up to the tank, he stops flashing. gggrrrr.
20220111_220553.jpg

20220111_220630.jpg

He recently broke off his long dorsal wray, but seems to be growing back already.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news!

My M. negrosensis has come out and is staying out! This is the longest she has been out. I did poke around the sandbed this morning just to wake her, and to show her that the "bully" is gone. Now lets see if she gets up, and stays up tomorrow.

Crappy pics, but she's still pretty shy when I get near the tank.
20220112_120328.jpg

20220112_120352.jpg

20220112_120407.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not think it would be this hard getting good pics of my wrasse, but it has definitely proven to be a challenge. Here are a few shots of my new McCosker wrasse. He doesn't flash much being the only wrasse in the tank, only seems to do it for a few seconds after I've fed the tank... but as soon as I grab my camera and put it up to the tank, he stops flashing. gggrrrr.
20220111_220553.jpg

20220111_220630.jpg

He recently broke off his long dorsal wray, but seems to be growing back already.
I love flashers, I saw a VERY nice mccoskers, it looked SO much like a supermale. It had electric blues in the dorsal fin and was a black fin mccosker. It’s colours were extremely vibrant, I loved it but unfortunately the shop it was in is notorious for causing ich and velvet outbreaks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news!

My M. negrosensis has come out and is staying out! This is the longest she has been out. I did poke around the sandbed this morning just to wake her, and to show her that the "bully" is gone. Now lets see if she gets up, and stays up tomorrow.

20220112_120328.jpg

20220112_120352.jpg

20220112_120407.jpg
Fantastic News!! I hope I can grab a juvenile if I have room in my tank, hate how I have 11 fish and the final two wrasse (Naoko and Blue Star Leopard) will max it to 13.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news!

20220112_120328.jpg

20220112_120352.jpg

20220112_120407.jpg
Awesome! She's a beauty! Makes me want to get a new one :p

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220111_220553.jpg

20220111_220630.jpg

Wait till he's older and he'll flash at everything! My mccosker was the only flasher too and he'd flash all morning before the T5 turned on. Then he'd flash at my damsel all day long. Gorgeous fish.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She actually the largest "juvenile" I've ever bought. At about two and a half inches, she's actually quite large.

She is looking quite skinny, but that will change in a hurry. She will already eat PE Mysis, and PE calanus, now just need to get her trained on pellets. I feed pellets twice a day when I'm at work. She has been getting mysis, and calanus in the morning just because I have been home.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a different note, my long fin chases the McCoskers but generally does not interact with other fish in the tank. However, a few weeks ago my two gladiator clowns decided they were going to start hosting a small trachy they had taken a liking to. The clownfish were establishing their new territory around the trachy and were being a bit more confrontational than usual for a few days. This culminated one night into a small spat between the Ruby and clowns that I was able to catch on video.

Here is the short video of the interaction. Seeing the Ruby flare up and flash was really interesting and showed how beautiful the fish can look (otherwise looking rather “plain” for a fish with such dazzling relatives). I think rubys might get more love than they usually do if they didn’t always have damaged fins from shipping and a drab appearance in LFS.

WrasseVsClowns.gif
Gorgeous fish! I'm not too familiair with common names. Is this a C. rubeus?

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous fish! I'm not too familiair with common names. Is this a C. rubeus?

Yep, that’s it! I’m far more familiar with common names and have been trying to be a bit more ”fluent” with scientific names!

The pictures never seem to capture the beautiful patterned blues of these fish. Mine has a completely white underside, and the contrast in colors is nice. There are plenty of color variations i‘ve seen while reading that are pretty fantastic looking.

And man, this guy has a voracious appetite. Nothing better than sitti and watching some beautiful wrasse eat.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got a nice collection going! What species are the pink guys on the third pic?
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Both of the variants). They are by far my most prized “pairing” there is the odd time they flash at eachother but it’s never showing stress, they more keep changing whose dominant and whose subdominant.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that’s it! I’m far more familiar with common names and have been trying to be a bit more ”fluent” with scientific names!

The pictures never seem to capture the beautiful patterned blues of these fish. Mine has a completely white underside, and the contrast in colors is nice. There are plenty of color variations i‘ve seen while reading that are pretty fantastic looking.

And man, this guy has a voracious appetite. Nothing better than sitti and watching some beautiful wrasse eat.
Ha, it's a remnant from my years of freshwater fishkeeping. Common names were so incredibly useless most of the time, so I always used scientific names.

He's beautiful though! Makes me even more excited for when I get one. Next month probably. It reminds me of a naoko, but for half the price lol.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Both of the variants). They are by far my most prized “pairing” there is the odd time they flash at eachother but it’s never showing stress, they more keep changing whose dominant and whose subdominant.
Oh, I thought those were much more blue/purple. Awesome! Funny how they're tolerating each other, despite being the same species.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I thought those were much more blue/purple. Awesome! Funny how they're tolerating each other, despite being the same species.
Yeah, it’s strange how they can co-exist in my tank. I would love to try this pairing in another tank to see if the two variants will get along or if it’s just an exception.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new yellow coris wrasse! I love the green and orange it’s face and fins!

24F7DF29-E46D-462A-8ACF-F47BC392A585.jpeg

also it is best friends with the Melanarus wrasse.
D1FEA98B-764F-41D8-9D38-B277606DAADD.jpeg
That’s not a yellow coris, that’s closely related to them though. You have a misidentified Silvery Belly (Halichoeres leucoxanthus)

Back