The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, I shouldn't even be looking at this thread!! So so much doubt now.

What's the differences between both varieties of the lubbocki?

Mmmmm... Even starting to think skipping the planned coral beauty and going with 2 fairies. Orange back and lubbocki perhaps o_O
The colour varies between the two variants!! Once my two wake up I’ll add a photo of them (I have been sat near the tank for a good hour now and neither have woken up)

One finally woke up, my Cebu was sat nicely at the bottom with his whole body showing but of course he moved into the rockwork as I got closer.
9DB281AB-07A8-4FDB-9B5F-8E027906A55C.jpeg

Finally got a nice photo of his whole body!!
6FB4051A-3A75-421F-A37E-C3ACA4F11E9B.jpeg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the wrasse picture above is a H cosmestus also. Many of the young Halichoeres wrasse are difficult to ID as juveniles, but this one is relatively easy IMO
There are definitely a few easy to ID young halis, some of these include:
Cosmetus
Iridis (I mean, both males and females have similar colours except the female is nicer from what I’ve seen)
Biocellatus
I think that’s all of the commonly available Halichoeres wrasses that are easy to identify as juveniles. Although I’ve not seen a biocellatus in a while.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colour varies between the two variants!! Once my two wake up I’ll add a photo of them (I have been sat near the tank for a good hour now and neither have woken up)

One finally woke up, my Cebu was sat nicely at the bottom with his whole body showing but of course he moved into the rockwork as I got closer.
9DB281AB-07A8-4FDB-9B5F-8E027906A55C.jpeg

Finally got a nice photo of his whole body!!
6FB4051A-3A75-421F-A37E-C3ACA4F11E9B.jpeg
I'm hoping for that coloration! I assume mine is still a bit juvenile?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a cosmetus to me as well. I believe any Halichoeres wrasses - except for the bigger ones - are "reef safe". My timorensis murdered snails though and he taught my chrysus to do so as well.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm a rookie with wrasse's and can't tell the subtle difference as you pros.

So I think the LFS store bagged the wrong wrasse, if it's not a Melanurus.

This is the photo posted from the Store, where I picked up my Wrasse.

Melanarus-Wrasse-LFS-Pickup.jpg

Now I see my wrasse isn't the same.

Will the COSMETUS wrasse eat my Planaria Flatworms? As good or better than the Melanarus?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm a rookie with wrasse's and can't tell the subtle difference as you pros.

So I think the LFS store bagged the wrong wrasse, if it's not a Melanurus.

This is the photo posted from the Store, where I picked up my Wrasse.

Melanarus-Wrasse-LFS-Pickup.jpg

Now I see my wrasse isn't the same.

Will the COSMETUS wrasse eat my Planaria Flatworms? As good or better than the Melanarus?
Yes, they will eat planaria flatties. All wrasses do it as good as eachother no matter the species. I find half of this genus prefers bugs and the other half prefers flatties. The flatty half is where I tend to find cosmetus to fall under, mels I find don’t eat smaller flatties as well as the smaller species of that genus.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my melanurus wrasse started attacking my snails and devouring them. Planning on adding a clam do you think that the wrasse will attack it too?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my melanurus wrasse started attacking my snails and devouring them. Planning on adding a clam do you think that the wrasse will attack it too?
Chances are yes the wrasse will nip the clam’s mantle.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a trip to the LFS today (Picked up a Hectors goby, I just couldn’t resist him for my nano) and the female pencil wrasse is still there. I have my guesses on it being female severnsi but would rather have it confirmed. They had some VERY nice anampses that took some persuading to avoid (Such as the caeruleopunctatus and lineatus in the tank next to the pencil) also a nice Halichoeres Below the pencil.
06ABDC3D-58A1-4F6B-AE42-04ADBB44146B.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a trip to the LFS today (Picked up a Hectors goby, I just couldn’t resist him for my nano) and the female pencil wrasse is still there. I have my guesses on it being female severnsi but would rather have it confirmed. They had some VERY nice anampses that took some persuading to avoid (Such as the caeruleopunctatus and lineatus in the tank next to the pencil) also a nice Halichoeres Below the pencil.
06ABDC3D-58A1-4F6B-AE42-04ADBB44146B.jpeg
Sure looks like a female P. severnsi to me. Your LFS has some nice wrasses!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like a female P. severnsi to me. Your LFS has some nice wrasses!
They do for sure!! Had a beautiful lineatus and some beauties of the A. neoguinaicus and M. bipartitus. Somewhere in one of the tanks was a black leopard (I think it was in the sand but it hasn’t been out since they brought it in - As expected).

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do for sure!! Had a beautiful lineatus and some beauties of the A. neoguinaicus and M. bipartitus. Somewhere in one of the tanks was a black leopard (I think it was in the sand but it hasn’t been out since they brought it in - As expected).
Are you bringing home a new wrasse today?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you bringing home a new wrasse today?
I wish, instead I settled with a goby for the nano. The temptation for a wrasse was high and it’s driving up the temptation to say goodbye to the Jade, I’ll probably leave it a bit longer and see. How’s that neoguinaicus of yours doing? Some of the Anampses in the LFS were beautiful and some of the Neoguinaicus looked healthy and happy so that may be my next wrasse.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish, instead I settled with a goby for the nano. The temptation for a wrasse was high and it’s driving up the temptation to say goodbye to the Jade, I’ll probably leave it a bit longer and see. How’s that neoguinaicus of yours doing? Some of the Anampses in the LFS were beautiful and some of the Neoguinaicus looked healthy and happy so that may be my next wrasse.
She’s adjusting well. She‘s up when the lights come on and hits the sand about 2 hours before the lights go off. She’s eating frozen foods. It’s hard to get a good pic of her because she moves so fast while hunting for pods all day.

CBCBF4B4-DC96-48AE-BF8E-5CABEEEE9304.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s adjusting well. She‘s up when the lights come on and hits the sand about 2 hours before the lights go off. She’s eating frozen foods. It’s hard to get a good pic of her because she moves so fast while hunting for pods all day.

CBCBF4B4-DC96-48AE-BF8E-5CABEEEE9304.jpeg
That’s great news!! She looks beautiful too, I would love one but the price is high for this wrasse. I don’t know if I’d risk loosing a £89 ($121.71) wrasse, similar reason why I don’t want to risk a femininus. I could get a small one for £66 ($90.26) but it’s still a risk. Definitely going to wait till the jade is either calmer or gone before diving into Anampses. Hopefully by then Hawaii is open and chyrsocephalus is available, but I doubt that. I think I’ll certainly wait before deciding on the last wrasse though, it will most likely be either Anampses or Pseudojuloides, I just need some more ideas on wrasses that will be alright with the rest of the stock and help the tilefish feel secure.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great news!! She looks beautiful too, I would love one but the price is high for this wrasse. I don’t know if I’d risk loosing a £89 ($121.71) wrasse, similar reason why I don’t want to risk a femininus. I could get a small one for £66 ($90.26) but it’s still a risk. Definitely going to wait till the jade is either calmer or gone before diving into Anampses. Hopefully by then Hawaii is open and chyrsocephalus is available, but I doubt that. I think I’ll certainly wait before deciding on the last wrasse though, it will most likely be either Anampses or Pseudojuloides, I just need some more ideas on wrasses that will be alright with the rest of the stock and help the tilefish feel secure.
The recent pic of your Jade looks like it’s transitioning to male.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recent pic of your Jade looks like it’s transitioning to male.
What is it that gives away the transitioning stage? I haven’t noticed any difference in the Jade yet but that may just be how I’m always looking at the tank and never notice it.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy always worries me. Will disappear for a day or two making me thing he was lost to the pistol shrimp.
20211104_184940.jpg
How is your Jade still doing? I have a love-hate relationship with mine, she’s (Or should I say He’s) beautiful but aggressive

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the white lights are on, here’s some better images of my wrasse, I think most of them are male except the iridis and Jade
Took longer than I thought but found the old photo of my jade (Probably would’ve been easier if I looked at the build thread with photos of the 4’ tank in). I’m guessing it’s the white being bigger and the black spots have vanished?
C3D135C8-A03D-4D05-BA6A-9EF15D2F3ED5.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it that gives away the transitioning stage? I haven’t noticed any difference in the Jade yet but that may just be how I’m always looking at the tank and never notice it.
It looks like yours is showing some darkening on its side which is the initial phase. Could just be the pic too if you’re not noticing a color difference.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back