theoretical assumptions behind NDOC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, does anybody know the scientific theories standing behind ndocs? not in vague general terms, as in the interzoo video, but specifically.

where are the setpoints from? if setpoints are from collected reef water samples, have they been 'proven' in an artificial aquarium setting? how many, how long? are setpoints related in any manner to the redfield ratio? like... what is the target, and why...

c.b. tim! my brother knows you! lol! i'm gonna haveta come by and scream at you in person! :p;Cat:p;Cat:p

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One basic starting point to keep in mind with natural reef water, is that is has enormous amounts of particulate and dissolved organics. Especially near corals, which exude glucose etc to feed the microbial food chain near the polyps, so the polyps can get more food. This is why you see swarms of small fish around corals/reefs; they are feeding on this. And it all starts from DOC, of which you want as much as possible.

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, does anybody know the scientific theories standing behind ndocs? not in vague general terms, as in the interzoo video, but specifically.

where are the setpoints from? if setpoints are from collected reef water samples, have they been 'proven' in an artificial aquarium setting? how many, how long? are setpoints related in any manner to the redfield ratio? like... what is the target, and why...

c.b. tim! my brother knows you! lol! i'm gonna haveta come by and scream at you in person! :p;Cat:p;Cat:p

That was one of the funniest conversations I have had in the last year! You'll have to come in the next 24 hours or so as I am going to be out of the office quite a bit moving forward.

N-Doc is still in it's infancy, and I am not up to speed enough to give you any verifiable details. Ehsan, Tim Caldwell, and Vincent Thomas are way more savy on this technology than I am

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it all starts from DOC, of which you want as much as possible.
Feldman found that aquariums using skimming & activated carbon to purify the water had Total Organic Carbon levels that matched natural reefs. Aquariums that didn't purify the water had far higher TOC levels, & the more delicate species of corals such as sps could not be kept in those aquariums.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back