Theoretically...only 9 days of cupramine for ich?

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they have ich before? Or is this prophylactic treatment?

Theoretically from what those above said, 30 days treatment will mean no ich on the fish. And probably no cysts but who knows you could have one of those bad strains.

Moving them immediately to DT means you don’t have to worry about those freak cysts re-infecting your fish. But the risk you take is that if the copper treatment wasn’t successful (e.g it dipped below 0.3) then your fish could have suppressed ich. So I guess it depends on how confident you are that your treatment was successful. If not then I would consider leaving them in the QT and observing. Better they get ich and you re-treat them then infecting the DT.

At least this is what I believe Humblefish means.

I have a Naso and PB in QT. So far no signs of illness, but I’m terrified to not treat with the one fish that would be considered the “ich magnet”. I know there is debate on this. But if they have been fluke/other illness clear (3 weeks so far). I could absolutely treat for 14 days and out into DT directly. If they were showing signs of illness I would be much more hesitant.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Naso and powder blue tangs in QT. I also do not have another QT to move them to. So I should do a full 30 day treatment (if they need it) and move directly to DT rather than WC to lower copper and observe for 2 weeks? Just trying to clarify. I usually do 30 days of copper and transfer to new QT (good to know 14 is fine). But don’t have that option with these 2.

In this case, it would be best to treat for 30 days and then lower the Cu level. Anytime you use meds you really want there to be a 2 week observation period (in nonmedicated water) afterwards. Reason being is most of the medications we use on fish are immunosuppressants which open them up to the possibility of infection. You also want to observe for 2 weeks to ensure nothing was missed (e.g. prazi resistant flukes or turbellarians) before exposing your DT to a new fish.

OP
OP
S

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, my sailfin tang has been in the DT for approximately 4 days now and no signs of ich or other disease. Also no behavioural signs of ich. This indicates to me that 1) the quarantine was successful, 2) my 16 week fallow was successful and 3) the 6 weeks observational quarantine for the clowns and chromis was successful.

Thank you very very much for all the help and advice, I just wanted to say I truly appreciate it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Naso and powder blue tangs in QT. I also do not have another QT to move them to. So I should do a full 30 day treatment (if they need it) and move directly to DT rather than WC to lower copper and observe for 2 weeks? Just trying to clarify. I usually do 30 days of copper and transfer to new QT (good to know 14 is fine). But don’t have that option with these 2.
Your tangs definitely need treated in copper or CP :). And yes. 14 is only find if you have a completely sterile QT ready to go :)

Tmcgoo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar question to followup. I have a power brown, PJ Cardinal and Foxface in QT using Cupramine. They complete 14 days tomorrow. I have another QT to move them to. Is it ok to move them from QT with CP straight to the otherwith no CP or should I slowly remove the CP first, then move them?

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar question to followup. I have a power brown, PJ Cardinal and Foxface in QT using Cupramine. They complete 14 days tomorrow. I have another QT to move them to. Is it ok to move them from QT with CP straight to the otherwith no CP or should I slowly remove the CP first, then move them?
It is safe to immediately transfer to another sterile tank without meds.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is safe to immediately transfer to another sterile tank without meds.
+1

And to clarify.. it is very important to move them to the clean tank before beginning to remove meds.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure I understand, move them to a new tank with meds and then run carbon to remove meds, is that what you mean?
Nope, the new tank should be free of meds. Just don't start lowering the meds in the first tank until the fish are out.

Tmcgoo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok last question - they are ready to move out now except CP hasn't been lowered, so is it ok to move them out without reducing the meds first?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok last question - they are ready to move out now except CP hasn't been lowered, so is it ok to move them out without reducing the meds first?
Yes. Move them out now.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump!

I was just forced to move a fish after 8 full days of therapeutic copper. Has there been any update on copper treatment times? I have been searching the forums. I always do 14 days but after seeing people doing 10 there seems to be more promise. I have two cbb that were fighting too much so I decided to move one to the sterile tank, again 8 full days.

Hoping that was enough!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 days gives you a bit of wiggle room to allow for the different cycles parasites may be going through. The parasites are not cycling all at the same rotation. So it also depends a bit as well on how close to the "ideal" cycle time the parasites are maintaining.
So observe the one for 14 days and consider perhaps doing the black molly test to check for any new parasite growth.
Best of luck with your beautiful fish!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 days gives you a bit of wiggle room to allow for the different cycles parasites may be going through. The parasites are not cycling all at the same rotation. So it also depends a bit as well on how close to the "ideal" cycle time the parasites are maintaining.
So observe the one for 14 days and consider perhaps doing the black molly test to check for any new parasite growth.
Best of luck with your beautiful fish!

Thanks for the reply and kind words!

Ya I will have to just keep watching for a while. The 14 day observation is to ensure that if parasites were still present I would see them on the fish correct?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back