These lights are done for good....or are they?

Do you believe that Metal Halide and T5 Lighting are almost gone for good?

• YES

Votes: 285 35.5%
  • NO

Votes: 500 62.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 2.1%

• Total voters

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Have you ever used Metal Halide and T5 Lighting on a reef tank?
I'm using T5's on my tank right now, running one of the hybrid LED/T5 fixtures.

2. Do you currently have a tank running MH or T5 lights?
See above. =)

3. Do you remember the discussion about LED and about how there wasn't proof that they would work?
Oh hell yes. My first tank was an Oceanic BioCube 29 that came with the power compact bulbs... could barely grow anything with them. Shortly after I got into reefing, the first LED fixtures started coming out, and while they were too expensive for my budget at the time... I was just foolish enough to decide to try my hands at a DIY fixture.

Well, they did in fact work, and how - I could actually grow corals for a change, and had some great growth on a couple of corals... I had a bird's nest that did especially well (enough so that I actually fragged it a couple of times), and I'm convinced I've come across frags from those frags at multiple LFS around here.

So LEDs are great, and I've been a believer in them since basically Day One... but they have their limitations, and there was a reason I decided to add in the T5 bulbs on my new tank. No matter how you blend it, you'll never get that even spread of consistent light that a T5 offers through an LED fixture. Combine the two, and you can get the best of both worlds.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're 20 years into LEDs as viable primary reef lights. Literally decades. There are literally thousands of people on this forum running previous-gen LEDs.

What, specifically, do you want for evidence?
I'd settle for someone still using their original LED for say 7 years and any repairs they might of had to do, if any.
It's not the bulbs reliability I'm questioning.
It's the unit as a whole. Most of these are like 90% of everything else sold today.
Made in China. Or the parts are from there. If I'm going to pay $500-$900 for a single light
I want it to be trouble free for many years.
The fact remains we don't know how long these units last. Because no one keeps them long enough to know. We do have a good idea how long MH & t5s and ballasts ect. last.
I've read post on here where users have had there MH for decades and they are still working. Please don't ask me for a link lol.
And I'm not questioning the viability of LEDs. I know they grow corals very well.
I guess I'm arguing the total cost to run each. There is no way to know when we don't know how long LED units last. (not bulbs)

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used LED’s and T-5’s and currently have a T-5 fixture on my 40g. The T-5’s produce better results in my experience. I remember when LED’s came out and the naysayers who said they wouldn’t work. I’m sure others have success with them, but I’ll stick with my T-5’s.
The whole thing is funny.

There were 9 million threads on RC about how HO T5s couldn't keep corals for the first 5 years or so that they started making individual reflectors and specialty bulbs - and about how the colors were terrible and ridiculous and unrealistic , and the lack of shimmer was terrible, and they didn't produce enough power to keep anything but softies.

And now that they've kind of become the baseline - its the opposite - people complaining about shimmer, and how the colors don't "pop" as much, and everything looks 'unnatural' compared to T5s.

I ran metal halides for years (mostly 250w HQIs) - ran T5s for years. Run all LEDs now.

People were growing acros under compact fluorescent lights. If people are having trouble at this point, and they're not using bottom of the barrel crap - its almost certainly not the lighting technology.

GrapevineReefs

Chalices & Carnations
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fortunate enough to have a few reef tanks to play around with. I have a few nano tanks running on AI prime/ T5 combo, I have frag tanks running on radions, I also have a really intersting reef tank that I rescued or took over from a 80 year old Widow about 6 months ago. It was stuffed with Really old school corals and I wanted to try and spiff it up without spending boatloads so I got so second hand gear including this MH/T5/LED hood on Craigslist for $100 that has been working out great
Although with the LED lighting taking over it’s becoming hard to source T5 and MH bulbs in person. I am not in a situation where power usage is a concern of mine so that hasn’t ever factored into the use of this fixture.
DAA79077-9C6D-4FA1-9A45-05A7C5194241.jpeg
8FE225E1-60C8-4F81-B69F-6D01F184CF79.jpeg

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No.

No.

3. Do you remember the discussion about LED and about how there wasn't proof that they would work?

No.

Times change, new technology is developed, energy/heat issues are important. LED has come a very long way and by most accounts provides an energy green solution for the future of the hobby.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that over time, halides and t5's will go the way of the VHO t12 bulb. But I also believe that is only due to LED's being more energy efficient. If I could run halides and t5's without also needing to run a chiller, I would. Well at least the halides. But I can get similar or better par numbers from LEDs than an equivalent powered halide. So I will run LEDs with California's crazy high energy prices.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say no as t-5 mute the Shimmer of LEDs and make a very nice combo i run this type of lighting. Helps blend spectrum and reduce led shadowing. Not sure on halides as I've never used I believe though however there is going to be people out there that are old school and really like the results from their halides and T5 as the 8-balb t 5 is the gold standard says BRS and it's simple Plug and Play for new reefers id say it sticks around.

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haa don’t say things like that!! I just spent big money on a t5 hybrid fixture for my new build!!

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet...
It is getting harder to find metal halide bulbs, and there is legislation in Europe to do away with t5 bulbs that have mercury, but the fact that LEDs are always compared to metal halide and t5's means they are standard to be measured by. There are so many examples of successful reef tanks and coral farmers that use this combo. I really think that there will still be a sect of reefers that use this lighting standard.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd settle for someone still using their original LED for say 7 years and any repairs they might of had to do, if any.
It's not the bulbs reliability I'm questioning.
It's the unit as a whole. Most of these are like 90% of everything else sold today.
Made in China. Or the parts are from there. If I'm going to pay $500-$900 for a single light
I want it to be trouble free for many years.
The fact remains we don't know how long these units last. Because no one keeps them long enough to know. We do have a good idea how long MH & t5s and ballasts ect. last.
I've read post on here where users have had there MH for decades and they are still working. Please don't ask me for a link lol.
And I'm not questioning the viability of LEDs. I know they grow corals very well.
I guess I'm arguing the total cost to run each. There is no way to know when we don't know how long LED units last. (not bulbs)
My Radion G3s will be 7 years old in a couple of months. There are literally thousands of people on this forum running LED lights this old.

And 7 years is WAY past the average stay in the hobby for people. I'd bet there's more 7+ year old LED fixtures being used by people on this forum than there are people on this forum that have had a tank up for 7 years.

This is all just FUD at this point.

Why do you think MH lights aren't made in china and LEDs are?

Richard Severns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still using a coralife with 2-150mth and 2-90w pc,and the system seems to be working fine, this is a 4ft 125gal system

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, my first 16g cube ran t5ho. My first 75g tank had 2 MH and 4 t5ho lights.

No. All 3 of my current tanks are using Kessil LED.

Yes, but LEDs have come a long way since then to be fair.

I voted no, they aren't done in the poll. Specifically because T5's are often used to remove shadow areas.

However, for me personally I only run LEDs on all 3 of my tanks and I have no plans on ever going back to MH or T5s.

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH obsolete, yes.
T5, I'm not convinced. I mix T5 and LED, the T5 helps get rid of some of the shadows and fill in around the hot spots. Different growth patterns as a result. I'm mostly T5 again though, but it does lack the 'punch' required for a few of my SPS that need over 350 PAR.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that very good, very productive aquarium lighting types are done for good or were they done a long time ago?

Yep I'm talking about Metal Halide Lighting and T5 Lighting. LED has firmly taken it's foothold and most of the share in the reef aquarium lighting market. But what about for you? Are you still hanging on to your favorite lights that seem to be going the way of the dinosaur?

We’ve not been in the hobby long enough to remember MH lights so have t used them. Despite their drawbacks I’m actually considering trying them
I have a 72” tank. I run a two bulb T5 6 hours a day in addition to my Noopsyche LED’s. One bulb is ATI BLUE PLUS and the other ATI CORAL PLUS

3. Do you remember the discussion about LED and about how there wasn't proof that they would work? Nope!!

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I started in the late 90’s with 3 400w MH & T5 (the larger fat bulb of T5’s can’t remember the name) over a 180g Got out of the hobby around 2008.

I got back into the hobby in 2019 and started with all LED (3 Hyde 52) and quickly went to all T5’s with 2 Lumi Lite Pro’s. I have no plans to go back to LED though I’d like to see par and spectrum on the new ATI LED fixture. If anyone can make something close to a T5 it will be them.

Don’t remember this but they do work. However, I do think it’s funny to see how many of the big online coral retailers use Radions but many have MH mixed in.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my T5 for overall coverage. Yes the bulbs are a pain to replace but you still can not beat the reflective light back off the sand. I am not changing any time soon.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED dominates, but pockets of the hobby lead back to T5, and by extension MH. Specifically Acropora dominated tanks in the 150g-500g range.

LED blew up after the last recession when many were downsizing. This was perfect since smaller tanks are more sensitive to heat and don't otherwise draw a lot of electricity.

But the recent trend has been upgrades to +150g. At that volume in a home aquarium, with a focus on acropora, heat becomes less of a concern and one expects to spend on electricity.

Many LED fixtures struggle to grow acropora throughout their rated footprint over these larger tanks.

This kicks off a progression for new hobbyists or a trip to the garage stash for old ones.

LED alone >>>>> LED + T5 (aquatic life hybrid) >>>>> T5 + LED (ATI + reef rite) >>>> are halide actually prohibitive?

MH, often with LED supplement is finding a place again when the focus shifts to growing acropora colonies.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted that the old school Fl & MH lighting is becoming obsolete, but I would bet that as long as it is still available, a few will always be using that kind of lighting, especially those who have a lot invested in their lighting systems. But the lion's share of the lighting business will go to LED lighting....

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s face it some reef keeping debates will just go on forever and this is one of them. My first tank was VHO and Metal Halide and all tanks since then have just T5s and LED. Currently using two ATI 48” T5s (6 bulb) and six Mithras LX7206’s. amazing combination. I get the best of both worlds - full coverage and great colors on my 365gal.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal Halide ? Sure i do. But T5s no way.

You should change the voting to Metal Halides T5s tes or no. Not both combined

T5s are nearly as efficient as LEDS. A 4-6 bulb setup on my 135 gallon tank. Two 36 inch fixtures. Uses 312 watts for 4 bulbs and 468 for 6.

To light up a 6 foot tank with LEDS id need at least 3 fixtures. Depending on what you get power usage can be 100w to 150w. For 3 fixtures at 150w thats 450 watts of power. How is that more efficient than 4-6 T5 bulbs.

Now what about price ? A white chinese fixture with individual polished reflectors from amazon is 75$ for a 36 inch fixture. Thats 150$ and for 4x2 bulbs at 24$ each. Thats 192$. So 350$. And they last for 14 months or so. A single radion G5 or G4 is 500$ up to 800$.

This is like buying a new car vs used car. Your new car may get 60mpg or is all electric but i have no car payments. Low car insurance low property taxes. While you have high everything. Itd take 12 years with the taxes. Paying a car off and insurance plus you still gatta pay for gas and or electricity to charge the car vs my 10mpg paid for vehicle. ( do the math youll see how buying a new car is the worst investment one can make in their life)

Same goes for lights. I spend 350$. While you spend 1200$ on 3 lights. Up to 2400$ for the higher priced ones. In the end itll take me 6 YEARS to get to 1200$ in bulbs. Or 12 years to get to 2400$.

You tell me why simply buying new bulbs is so expensive. I feel no one really does basic math here.

Plus LEDS still create shimmer. Still create shadow. Still are not nearly as uniform in light as T5s. You dont have to adjust lights. Burn corals. Or anything you just plug em in and thats it. And yes i know i did only 4-6 bulbs. But i have a 135g thats 18 wide and 72 long. 4 bulbs 8 inchs above the tank lights up my entire tank front to back. I can grow any coral you throw at me. With a 24 inch tank i imagine 6 bulbs would work. You dont NEED 8

Last edited by a moderator:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back