Thing ID, What is this under a Zoa frag?

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all I recently noticed this plant looking thing growing under a Zoa frag.

Should I pull it out?

Thanks

840B2042-B11B-43C6-A2B1-AD10815D8522.jpeg

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like an apitasia.
peppermint shrimps should eat it. Apitasia x and franks F apitasia for the chemical route.
Do NOT try to scrape it, puncture it , cut it , pull it etc.. inside the tank. this will only cause it to release “spores” into the water column and you will end up with more.

OP
OP
RedG

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like an apitasia.
peppermint shrimps should eat it. Apitasia x and franks F apitasia for the chemical route.
Do NOT try to scrape it, puncture it , cut it , pull it etc.. inside the tank. this will only cause it to release “spores” into the water column and you will end up with more.
OMG thanks got I posted this was gonna rip it out today.

That is the only spot where I have it on the tank, can I take the frag out, pull it, and then dip it on revive or peroxide before putting it back in the tank?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG thanks got I posted this was gonna rip it out today.

That is the only spot where I have it on the tank, can I take the frag out, pull it, and then dip it on revive or peroxide before putting it back in the tank?
you sure can, I did not know that taking the frag out was an option.
Make sure that you clean and brush the area very well; to make sure that there is no apitasia tissue remaining on the plug where it could be possible for it to regenerate and grow from there, after pulling it.
also its worth to mention that coral dips usually do nothing to apitasia but I would still do it to be safe.

OP
OP
RedG

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you sure can, I did not know that taking the frag out was an option.
Make sure that you clean and brush the area very well; to make sure that there is no apitasia tissue remaining on the plug where it could be possible for it to regenerate and grow from there, after pulling it.
also its worth to mention that coral dips usually do nothing to apitasia but I would still do it to be safe.
Thanks will do, and then to learn how to avoid it

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are its already spread in your tank but don't fret tho. Its unavoidable. Every reefer will have to manage this at some point in their reefing journey. There's tons of tips of successful management. Here we consider "aiptasia" a rite of passage and a badge of honor

OP
OP
RedG

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are its already spread in your tank but don't fret tho. Its unavoidable. Every reefer will have to manage this at some point in their reefing journey. There's tons of tips of successful management. Here we consider "aiptasia" a rite of passage and a badge of honor
Thanks makes me feel better

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back