Things that need to be invented

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 28, 2019
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,496
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a long term school project, I am required to create a new invention. I was wondering if any of you all had ideas on reefing related problems that could be solved by a somewhat feasible invention? Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is the wrong spot for this.
 
On paper or a functioning prototype?
I have until the end of the school to create a fully functioning model of whatever it is. I’d appreciate any reefing related problems that need to be solved even if you can’t think of a way it could be solved.
 
I have until the end of the school to create a fully functioning model of whatever it is. I’d appreciate any reefing related problems that need to be solved even if you can’t think of a way it could be solved.
Honestly, there are lots of reefing problems and challenges - not necessarily easy solutions.
 
Honestly, there are lots of reefing problems and challenges - not necessarily easy solutions.
Yeah, that seems to be the problem I’m running into. For example, a cooled or frozen auto feeder would be quite useful, but also quite over my head. That’s kinda why I was hoping someone on here might be dealing with a problem that I’m maybe not that has a solution somewhere between a simple diy fix and an extremely complex fix.
 
Look into peltier devices for easy heating/cooling for your autofeeder.
 
I like the frozen auto feeder. Learning can be fun and scary. Jump in, worst case you learn something new.
 
Frozen auto-feeder is already in the works - https://www.indcreation.com/

A gravel vac for the sand bed with interchangeable and washable mesh/fleece and interchangeable fittings. Basically a far superior version of the one I linked.

Out there idea, but along the same lines as above - a robotic animal-like device that scours the sand bed and cleans it.

A robotic glass cleaner that can turn corners.

Think about what is not automated that could be.
 
We've all heard the arguments of glass vs. acrylic and they all have valid points. Looking at it from the acrylic preferred side, making it easy to buff out scratches would be a great invention. There already is buffing products available but they require a lot of physical labor. I would love to see a magnetic cleaner that is circular in shape with the ability to be attached to a drill to make this job easier and quicker.
Round Mag Cleaner.jpg
 
A device that punches you really hard on the nose before you do something really daft would be nice.
Maybe a forcefield that stops you from making a major change before you go anywhere for an extended amount of time.
 
Make something that can clean the back glass easily with out the need of a long scraper. A little suction cup robot or something would be cool.
 
How about a glass scraper that also has tubing to immediately remove what you just scraped off. This could be siphon powered or pump powered, but it would cool to have it somehow filter the water and put it back in the tank as you go to minimize water removed.

Maybe cleaning inventions aren't too exciting...
 
Force fields to contain water instead of tanks. Can this be done with magnetic fields?
I don't think this can be done with magnetic fields, as saltwater doesn't really have any magnetic properties. However, I saw a video where they made water levitate using vibrations, so you could probably use that in some way
 
A little robot that scours the display panels and gradually "sterilizes" them by slowly walking a small volume, highly insulated cup with a heating element inside of the cleaning chamber over the panels a little bit at a time. The isolated water inside of the cup would be heated to around 180 degrees, which is far enough below the softening point of acrylic and certainly would kill pretty much anything growing on them. A small amount of fresh tank water would have to be periodically drawn into the cleaning chamber and used to flush out any detached buildup and sand grains to prevent scratching. With such a small volume of heated water being continually circulated, I doubt it would cause a noticeable elevation in over all tank temperature.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new