OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Equalizer069 can’t you get seahorses from the south (gulf of Mexico) where the water is much warmer? They should be more tolerable to warmer temperatures (78°) than the northern seahorses you have now. Most corals like temperatures between 76-82°. I’m not saying it’s impossible to keep a cold water reef with seahorses. However, most colder water corals are very slow growers because they are found in deep water where they don’t get any sun light. They would also be very sensitive to bright light because they’re not used to it.
Thanks for the idea but I would never BUY seahorses I can get all I want for free

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budweiser cans are aluminum so they don't rust. You do know how old my tank is don't you?

(I coated that can in acrylic resin, inside and out) :cool:

You have no idea. :p
Yeah I did! 40 years is pretty impressive. Coating the fan was a good idea :)

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I did! 40 years is pretty impressive. Coating the fan was a good idea :)
Ok I’ve been informed that if I want nice colors in my reef that I should bring temp up to 72.5 degrees min as I’ve stated before I keep my tank at room temperature 65 to 69 never higher than 70.5 maybe 71 and that’s during summer which is only 4 out of 12 months. This is range my seahorses like and are used to but I’ve read they can go as warm as 74. I trust my friends advice I’m just wondering what other reefers think of this. Would help if they also have seahorses. Mine are Erectus all 21 of them

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ve been informed that if I want nice colors in my reef that I should bring temp up to 72.5 degrees min as I’ve stated before I keep my tank at room temperature 65 to 69 never higher than 70.5 maybe 71 and that’s during summer which is only 4 out of 12 months. This is range my seahorses like and are used to but I’ve read they can go as warm as 74. I trust my friends advice I’m just wondering what other reefers think of this. Would help if they also have seahorses. Mine are Erectus all 21 of them

I found somewhere to put fake piece I got for big tank before I changed my mind

0D5C51D0-302E-4470-8499-B1CA7B9F948D.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budweiser cans are aluminum so they don't rust. You do know how old my tank is don't you?

(I coated that can in acrylic resin, inside and out) :cool:

You have no idea. :p

Yes WE do. Need help stepping off your soap box.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still sounds too warm to ME. I would just buy a tropical seahorse or make it a reef only tank. I know you love seahorses but do you really need more than 21? ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still sounds too warm to ME. I would just buy a tropical seahorse or make it a reef only tank. I know you love seahorses but do you really need more than 21? ;Hilarious
I’m down to 15 have bunch away this week,, put 10 in new 55gal and 5 in my 20gal in my bedroom ( ones in room are my favorite)

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - how?
I’m a commercial fisherman and I’m what is called a gill netter,, which means I set a long string of nets about 1 n a quarter miles long per set. Each set has 20 nets tied together and each net is 300ft long plus 200ft long bouy line one on each end , marked with a dob and high flyer. Anyway while my nets r sitting on ocean floor and the weather is bad the currents pick up strong and stir up the bottom,, when this happens sometimes seahorses get swept in the current,,, they grab anything they can to ancor to and a lot of times it’s my net. Then when I pull net in and a seahorse is hanging on it I grab him off but most time they just fall on the deck of boat. That’s how I get them

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m a commercial fisherman and I’m what is called a gill netter,, which means I set a long string of nets about 1 n a quarter miles long per set. Each set has 20 nets tied together and each net is 300ft long plus 200ft long bouy line one on each end , marked with a dob and high flyer. Anyway while my nets r sitting on ocean floor and the weather is bad the currents pick up strong and stir up the bottom,, when this happens sometimes seahorses get swept in the current,,, they grab anything they can to ancor to and a lot of times it’s my net. Then when I pull net in and a seahorse is hanging on it I grab him off but most time they just fall on the deck of boat. That’s how I get them
A good and interesting answer

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good and interesting answer

Ok enough chit chat little tank update,, things started off good then like an idiot I put crushed coral in the tank. I was so careful I rinsed the crap out of it , spread it out on towel nice n thin and let semi dry,, then I had my daughter give me one cup at a time and I poured it on the bottom holding cup basically on bottom of tank. Slowly pouring it out and so on and so on,, well all the care in the world didn’t matter because the darn tank turned into a cloudy mess to where I could barley see into it. Uggh. Well got that to clear up in a day, not great but much better. Now here’s the kick in the groin, came home from fishing at 1.30am last night and my tank was a wreck,, water was so nasty looking and couldn’t even see lg rock,, and color of water looked like someone peed in it for 2 days. I wanted to scream , I don’t have to tell you that my OCD was in overdrive and I was calm on outside but my inside was screaming and going 100mph. It took two Oregano cigars to mellow out. Today did 15 gal water change and a buddy gave me areal good protein skimmer,, so I’m praying for the best. And the seahorses were fine through everything, a little stressed but all In all happy. What was I thinking going bigger with a sump having not even a clue,, life was easy when I just had fake everything and cheap Walmart set up doing my anal cleaning schedule and always having crystal clear tank. Again Ugghh. But I have faith all will be good. Have a couple of people really helping me out
This is what it looked like last night

325CA278-0169-41CA-8EF2-DD83ABC93D6E.jpeg

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well get you back on the mend. Baby steps big brother. Between the airation, limiting the lighting schedule and getting that skimmer running it should clear up soon. Think you experienced a mini cycle and algae bloom (possible bacterial bloom, which is y I said to put the air stones in for now) it should clear up in a few days.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well get you back on the mend. Baby steps big brother. Between the airation, limiting the lighting schedule and getting that skimmer running it should clear up soon. Think you experienced a mini cycle and algae bloom (possible bacterial bloom, which is y I said to put the air stones in for now) it should clear up in a few days.

Hello reef peeps, things are looking better now and clearing up nicely. I had a professional aquarium caretaker over today for a check up and lessons on tank care. He was great and patient with me because I’m a reef virgin( haha). He slowly explained the function of the sump and went over each section with extensive explanation in a way I’d understand ( basically reef tanks for dummies). Once we were solid on sump we moved on to lighting( to much light is what caused my previous problems) He broke down what the big light with the pretty lights actually mean and what they do, also explained why it needs all the different colors and the intensity that it should be set at for this stage of my tank. He then set the lights telling me what and why he’s putting them on that setting. Then actually wrote down a schedule I should follow with regards to the lighting for both main tank and refugium in sump. After that we moved on to water maintenance and care , water change schedule, a show to test water for Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and what it all means and the cycle of what each does to the next ( boy I should of paid attention in school) he was impressed with the fact that I get my water out of ocean far offshore and said it actually helps speed up the cycling process because a lot of things that u need are already it the water, ie: bacteria and nutrients that are needed. Tank guy( as I call him) said all in all things look good and be patient and keep up doing what I’m doing for now and don’t rush anything
Well that’s all for now. Will keep updates coming up.
Paulie

EA989EC9-0A09-49A0-BD26-4D89A05AEC26.jpeg

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef peeps, things are looking better now and clearing up nicely. I had a professional aquarium caretaker over today for a check up and lessons on tank care. He was great and patient with me because I’m a reef virgin( haha). He slowly explained the function of the sump and went over each section with extensive explanation in a way I’d understand ( basically reef tanks for dummies). Once we were solid on sump we moved on to lighting( to much light is what caused my previous problems) He broke down what the big light with the pretty lights actually mean and what they do, also explained why it needs all the different colors and the intensity that it should be set at for this stage of my tank. He then set the lights telling me what and why he’s putting them on that setting. Then actually wrote down a schedule I should follow with regards to the lighting for both main tank and refugium in sump. After that we moved on to water maintenance and care , water change schedule, a show to test water for Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and what it all means and the cycle of what each does to the next ( boy I should of paid attention in school) he was impressed with the fact that I get my water out of ocean far offshore and said it actually helps speed up the cycling process because a lot of things that u need are already it the water, ie: bacteria and nutrients that are needed. Tank guy( as I call him) said all in all things look good and be patient and keep up doing what I’m doing for now and don’t rush anything
Well that’s all for now. Will keep updates coming up.
Paulie

EA989EC9-0A09-49A0-BD26-4D89A05AEC26.jpeg

So today I added my first ever fish to tank. A cardinal fish,, it’s really cool looking and I like his markings

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I added my first ever fish to tank. A cardinal fish,, it’s really cool looking and I like his markings

Did water check today and my numbers are definitely getting better two days ago they looked like this.
PH 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 20
Today it’s looking like this
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.50
Nitrate 10
So things r looking up but water still cloudy drives me nuts with my OCD

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did water check today and my numbers are definitely getting better two days ago they looked like this.
PH 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 20
Today it’s looking like this
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.50
Nitrate 10
So things r looking up but water still cloudy drives me nuts with my OCD

So with my numbers on the upswing to being good n the water still very cloudy my buddy gave me a super skimmer. A Diatom Filter, it’s great in only 24 hrs my tank is 65 percent better already hoping by tomorrow it will be where I want it

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back